04-14-2021, 04:59 PM
Free Member

I have a question I would like to ask you. After having acquired video from vhs with Huffyuv lossless codec, if I apply filters with avisynth and virtualdub, always keeping the video interlaced, do I have to save the video always with Huffyuv codec, to keep these files as an archive? I mean the best way both to keep source files, and to compress them with other codecs (mpeg2 or H.264).
Or is it better to archive the original Huffyuv file without modifications?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-14-2021, 06:01 PM
Free Member

For archiva purposes I'd suggest to stick with a lossless compressor. Any lossy compression might influence future restoration attempts. Let alone YV12 chroma subsampling.
MagicYUV has better speed and compressibility than HuffYUV IMO. I use it for all my capturing work nowadays.
I think for archival cheapish SMR based HDDs are more than sufficient.
04-16-2021, 09:36 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
The problem with MagicYUV is compatibility and suspect longevity (future-proofing).

When concerned about space, I use high bitrate 4:2:2 MPEG with lower GOP (or I-frame). Note that GOP determines where in 15-50 range is adequate bitrates.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
04-17-2021, 10:53 AM
Free Member

So far I have done all the tests with the Huffyuv codec, I'm having a problem however, Premiere can't import the videos with the Huffyuv codec. Is it a problem of codec installed in windows or not? Maybe the 32-bit or 64-bit version of the codec has something to do with it?
04-17-2021, 05:34 PM
Free Member

I capture with VirtualDub on a Windows XP computer using Lagarith then open them in Premiere Pro (latest version) on a Windows 10 computer without any problem. I couldn't get Huffyuv to work with Premiere Pro.
04-18-2021, 11:54 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick_s View Post
I capture with VirtualDub on a Windows XP computer using Lagarith then open them in Premiere Pro (latest version) on a Windows 10 computer without any problem. I couldn't get Huffyuv to work with Premiere Pro.
I had issues with MainConcept TotalCode seeing Huffyuv files. It needs the x64 version, same as Premiere Pro does. The fix was to install ffdshow, but not for x86(32-bit) Huffyuv, just 64. Problem solved. I discussed this in more length in a MainConcept post, search for it to read more. But ffdshow, and done.

Lagarith capturing can be fine. It has more overhead, drops frames easier. Hence why not usually suggested.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
04-19-2021, 02:10 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
I had issues with MainConcept TotalCode seeing Huffyuv files. It needs the x64 version, same as Premiere Pro does. The fix was to install ffdshow, but not for x86(32-bit) Huffyuv, just 64. Problem solved. I discussed this in more length in a MainConcept post, search for it to read more. But ffdshow, and done.

Lagarith capturing can be fine. It has more overhead, drops frames easier. Hence why not usually suggested.
Thanks LS! I'll have to try that. So far for me Lagarith has been perfect for capturing my old VHS-C camcorder tapes at 720x480 in VirtualDub (the package you posted here thank you) without any frame drops/inserts on an old XP machine (P4, 1GB ram) and that's without an external frame TBC so I'm afraid of changing anything now LOL (I'm using the line TBC features of a JVC HR-S7800 and Panasonic AG-7650 straight into an AIW 9600 AGP card).

For the OP, if the Huffyuv installation is still a problem see if Lagarith works for you. Easy installation and no issues working with the file in Premiere Pro.