Quantcast New to AVIsynth - digitalFAQ Forum
  #1  
04-16-2021, 09:55 PM
Glitchy Windows 3.1 Glitchy Windows 3.1 is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 47
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hello,

So I have heard quite a few people using AVisynth to restore or deinterlace footage captured from a VCR or other device. I decided to go onto youtube to see if there was a tutorial and there was which was https://youtu.be/C4PyyQoz6eo .

I've only downloaded the files that he said to download in the video which they were

AviSynth
  • AviSynthPlus_3.6.1_20200619_vcredist.exe
External filters
└ Source Filters
  • ffms2-2.40-msvc.7z
  • QTGMC.avsi
QTMGC Requirements
  • Masktools2-v2.2.26.7z
  • mvtools-2.7.44-with-depans20201214.7z
  • NNEDI3_v0_9_4_57.7z
  • RgTools-v1.1.7z
  • Zs_RF_Shared.avsi
  • fftw-3.3.5-dll32.zip
Utilities
  • AvsPmod_v2.6.7.1_.Windows_x86-32.zip
└ Debugging/Diagnostic Utilities
  • AVSInfoTool_113.7z
Other programs
  • VirtualDub2
*Important note: I am using a Windows XP machine (has Windows 7 32bit installed). Another thing is that I already have Virtualdub 1.9.11 +Filters so I don't know if that will work.


The last thing he said after downloading or directing people to download the files listed above was to scan them with a virus scanner and in the video, he uses virustotal.com which struck me as odd. I did that anyways and everything came out with no suspicious files or whatnot except for:
  • AVSInfoTool_113.7z
  • AvsPmod_v2.6.7.1_.Windows_x86-32.zip
With that being said I am at a loss with which files I should and should not download as this predicament or lack thereof created a new layer of confusion with AviSynth. However, the programmer for AVSInfoTool_113.7z and others said that they are most likely "false-positives" and, of course, the virus scanners are not all reliable and accurate.


(The thread to that discussion could be found here: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=176079 )


Another thing to note I know there are no tutorials that's a, "size fits all," so what I am going to, potentially, use AviSynth for is for deinterlacing and converting the video to 60p (I do not know if this is possible) and upscaling.


So what files do I use and are the files listed from that video allowed the correct files to use for deinterlacing and sharpening the footage quality as I assume there are more. I also assume that it would be a pain to list what files I would have to download and how to use them, so could you direct me to other threads for downloading the necessary files for AviSynth/deinterlacing/interpolating to 60p). With the interpolating, I am assuming that AviSynth or some external filter has the functionality to do this but I do not know as I said in the beginning, I am new to AviSynth and would love to learn how to use this program .
Reply With Quote
Someday, 12:01 PM
admin's Avatar
Ads / Sponsors
 
Join Date: ∞
Posts: 42
Thanks: ∞
Thanked 42 Times in 42 Posts
  #2  
04-17-2021, 09:10 AM
stymie stymie is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 22
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
You also need a program to unzip the .7z files. You may also need something like CPU-Z to determine what instruction sets your processor supports.

Since your on a 32 bit machine, you will need to copy the Avisynth filters from the various filters you downloaded (X86 folders) into the 32 bit Avisynth+ plugins+ folder. Be aware to install the filters in the correct folder. In his latest video, he only shows 64 bit installation. He also has an earlier video for 32 bit installation, but some of the filters are outdated, so only use it for reference use if needed.

So For NNEDI3.dll, you need to check what instruction set your processor supports with something like CPU-Z. For Windows XP, you're looking for "SSE2" in the CPU tab, Processor box from CPU-Z. Then copy the corresponding filter (from applicable NNEDI3 X86 folder) to the Avisynth+ plugins+ folder.

(edit: I couldn't tell if you're using Windows XP or Windows 7 32bit. If using Windows 7, your looking for "AVX" and "AVX2" and then copy the corresponding filter (from applicable NNEDI3 X86 folder) to the Avisynth+ plugins+ folder.)

Also, he didn't show the 32 bit OS installation of FFTW3 library, but I think for the FFTW3 library setup, since you're using 32-bit Windows, you should only need to copy the 32-bit libfftw3f-3.dll. Make a copy of it and rename it as "FFTW3.dll". Place the files "libfftw3f-3.dll" and "FFTW3.dll" in the System32 folder.

Hopefully this helps on which files are needed and to get QTGMC installed for deinterlacing. Next, I would start with a simple Avisynth+ script to open the avi using a source filter, and then just add a line using the internal Avisynth filter "Version". You can use AvsPmod or use a text editor and save the text file as a ".AVS" (Avisynth file) to check that you can open the AVS file in Virtualdub or Virtualdub2 (32bit) software successfully. You can also "comment out" the "Version" line and confirm the video loads. (I personally don't use the AvsPmod, I just use a text editor since I primarily use Virtualdub2 which has a built in script editor). If needed, you can check the installation using AVSInfo tool to check your installation.

If everything goes well, his video has an Avisynth script (.AVS) for deinterlacing and resizing using QTGMC and BilinearResize that you can begin with. Then, use a program like VirtualDub or VirtualDub2 for rendering. I've been using VirtualDub2 since it has built in H264 encoding capability.

Last edited by stymie; 04-17-2021 at 09:45 AM. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote
  #3  
04-17-2021, 03:21 PM
Glitchy Windows 3.1 Glitchy Windows 3.1 is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 47
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stymie View Post
You also need a program to unzip the .7z files. You may also need something like CPU-Z to determine what instruction sets your processor supports.

Since your on a 32 bit machine, you will need to copy the Avisynth filters from the various filters you downloaded (X86 folders) into the 32 bit Avisynth+ plugins+ folder. Be aware to install the filters in the correct folder. In his latest video, he only shows 64 bit installation. He also has an earlier video for 32 bit installation, but some of the filters are outdated, so only use it for reference use if needed.
Yes, I am aware that the video was for the 64 bit installation and like you said, I was using it for reference to see what files I would need to download.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stymie View Post
So For NNEDI3.dll, you need to check what instruction set your processor supports with something like CPU-Z. For Windows XP, you're looking for "SSE2" in the CPU tab, Processor box from CPU-Z. Then copy the corresponding filter (from applicable NNEDI3 X86 folder) to the Avisynth+ plugins+ folder.
I downloaded CPU-Z and it shows that my CPU is a Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.60GHz (Single threaded) and the instruction set the processor supports is MMX, SSE, and SSE2 which is a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stymie View Post
(edit: I couldn't tell if you're using Windows XP or Windows 7 32bit. If using Windows 7, your looking for "AVX" and "AVX2" and then copy the corresponding filter (from applicable NNEDI3 X86 folder) to the Avisynth+ plugins+ folder.)
So the computer is originally a Windows XP computer I believe it was the Dell Dimension 8300, but the owner of this computer decided to put Windows 7 Home Premium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stymie View Post
Also, he didn't show the 32 bit OS installation of FFTW3 library, but I think for the FFTW3 library setup, since you're using 32-bit Windows, you should only need to copy the 32-bit libfftw3f-3.dll. Make a copy of it and rename it as "FFTW3.dll". Place the files "libfftw3f-3.dll" and "FFTW3.dll" in the System32 folder.
Oh ok and just to be clear, I unzip the "fftw-3.3.5-dll32" folder and put it, im assuming anywhere ( ex: Have the folder unzip so it can be C:\Users\admin\Desktop\Capturing programs\fftw-3.3.5-dll32 ), and only getting "libffw3f-3.dll" because there is a bunch of other files in that folder. Then make a copy of "libffw3f-3.dll" and rename it to "FFTW3.dll" grab those two files and move them to C:\Windows\System32 and then thats it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stymie View Post
Hopefully this helps on which files are needed and to get QTGMC installed for deinterlacing. Next, I would start with a simple Avisynth+ script to open the avi using a source filter, and then just add a line using the internal Avisynth filter "Version". You can use AvsPmod or use a text editor and save the text file as a ".AVS" (Avisynth file) to check that you can open the AVS file in Virtualdub or Virtualdub2 (32bit) software successfully. You can also "comment out" the "Version" line and confirm the video loads. (I personally don't use the AvsPmod, I just use a text editor since I primarily use Virtualdub2 which has a built in script editor). If needed, you can check the installation using AVSInfo tool to check your installation.
So for AvsPmod the one I downloaded is "AvsPmod_v2.6.7.1_.Windows_x86-32.zip" and I scanned this with the MalwareBytes that is already in this computer and detected no malicious files. I also did it with virus total and it said that two security vendors flagged this file as "malicious." Im assuming they are false-positives, no? The same can also be said for AVSInfoTool, as when I download "AVSInfoTool_113.7z" Microsoft Security Essentials immediately tells me to delete this malicious file. The built in Malwarebytes says it does not detect anything suspicious, and virus total says 7 security vendors flagged this file as malicious. Again this could be false-positives but I wanted to make sure with you and like I said the programmer for "AVSInfoTool" said it was most likely that because virus scanners are not 100% reliable and accurate.

*Note: the Malwarebytes on this computer is outdated so not sure if that's why it did not detect anything.


Quote:
Originally Posted by stymie View Post
If everything goes well, his video has an Avisynth script (.AVS) for deinterlacing and resizing using QTGMC and BilinearResize that you can begin with. Then, use a program like VirtualDub or VirtualDub2 for rendering. I've been using VirtualDub2 since it has built in H264 encoding capability.
So like I said, I have Virtualdub 1.9.11 which is what this site has, where can I get Virtualdub2? Or is there a thread that has a download to this program because Im assuming both work but the H.264 codec is what I need as my main computer which is a windows 10 supports H.264 and, I would assume, it removes the need for me to convert the video from .avi to .mp4s via handbrake.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
04-17-2021, 03:49 PM
stymie stymie is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 22
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
"Then make a copy of "libffw3f-3.dll" and rename it to "FFTW3.dll" grab those two files and move them to C:\Windows\System32 and then thats it? "

I think that's it if the Window 7 OS is 32 bit.

"So like I said, I have Virtualdub 1.9.11 which is what this site has, where can I get Virtualdub2? Or is there a thread that has a download to this program because Im assuming both work but the H.264 codec is what I need as my main computer which is a windows 10 supports H.264 and, I would assume, it removes the need for me to convert the video from .avi to .mp4s via handbrake."

You had Virtualdub2 list in your post, so I though you had a copy. There's a link at the VideoHelp.com. I believe it comes with 32bit and 64 bit executables. You'll need to use the 32 bit program. I use x264 video compression and FFMPEG AAC audio compression.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
04-17-2021, 04:47 PM
Glitchy Windows 3.1 Glitchy Windows 3.1 is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 47
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stymie View Post
"Then make a copy of "libffw3f-3.dll" and rename it to "FFTW3.dll" grab those two files and move them to C:\Windows\System32 and then thats it? "

I think that's it if the Window 7 OS is 32 bit.

"So like I said, I have Virtualdub 1.9.11 which is what this site has, where can I get Virtualdub2? Or is there a thread that has a download to this program because Im assuming both work but the H.264 codec is what I need as my main computer which is a windows 10 supports H.264 and, I would assume, it removes the need for me to convert the video from .avi to .mp4s via handbrake."

You had Virtualdub2 list in your post, so I though you had a copy. There's a link at the VideoHelp.com. I believe it comes with 32bit and 64 bit executables. You'll need to use the 32 bit program. I use x264 video compression and FFMPEG AAC audio compression.
Thanks . Another thing I would like to point out is that when he uses avsPmod he puts the following

SetFilterMTMode("QTGMC", 2)
FFmpegSource2("[video file name].avi", atrack=1)
ConvertToYV12()
AssumeBFF()
QTGMC(Preset="Slower", Edithreads=3)
BilinearResize(740,540)
Crop(0,0,-4,0)
Spline64Resize(740,540)
PreFetch(threads=10)

Now the computer I am using only has 1 core and 1 thread which I do not know if that would be a problem because that would mean I can not do Multithreaded mode correct? Secondly, on the [QTGMC(Preset="Slower", Edithreads=3)] he said he put Edithreads=3 because the number of cores he has was 6 cores and he said to divide the number of cores you have by 2 and put that for Edithreads=#. In my case I only have one core, would I put Edithreads=1 or Edithreads=0.5? He also puts [PreFetch(threads=10)] and he arrives at the number 10 because when checking his logical processors or threads he said his was 12 and to subtract that number by 1 or 2 (In this case he subtracted by 2) and put that value for the number of threads. So in my case would I put PreFetch(threads=1) or just not have PreFetch enabled?

And this is from this video right here: https://youtu.be/d4rLvpkBlnQ?t=1283
Reply With Quote
  #6  
04-17-2021, 06:51 PM
stymie stymie is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 22
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
For single thread, I don't think the SetFilterMTMode or PreFetch lines are needed. You can also try leaving out the Edithreads option or set it equal to "0" which is the default. Also, for VHS captures, I had to use AssumeTFF(). You can see what works for you. I also would start with QTGMC(Preset="Faster") due to amount of resources QTGMC uses.

Last edited by stymie; 04-17-2021 at 07:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Avisynth DeVCR, how to use? geordie10 Restore, Filter, Improve Quality 8 11-20-2020 04:05 PM
AVISynth+ 3.5.0 released ELinder Restore, Filter, Improve Quality 0 03-04-2020 10:40 AM
AviSynth+ 3.4.0 released ELinder Restore, Filter, Improve Quality 4 11-15-2019 08:46 AM
Advantages of Avisynth vs. Avisynth+ (plus)? homefire Restore, Filter, Improve Quality 4 07-02-2019 06:54 PM
Avisynth MT or Avisynth ST? WhatACuck Restore, Filter, Improve Quality 2 05-07-2019 02:17 PM

Thread Tools



 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:21 PM