06-20-2021, 02:35 PM
Free Member

Hey guys,

Hopefully you can help me with this. I am frustrated as I do not like the quality of the output no matter what.

I have a problem. When I rip them I see a sort of waviness on some 2nd gen tapes. Could you please advise what could be wrong here.

Here are some capture screens (if needed i can upload videos later):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LET...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aF6...ew?usp=sharing

My settings:

JVC HR-S7600
TBC = off
B.E.S.T. = off
PICTURE MODE = normal

+ Panasonic DMR-ES10 TBC (AV4) + Philips DVDR3305

What do you think can cause this irritating effect? At first I thought that DVD recorder, but then i think it is a VCR. Or could it be working as designed as the original recording was from TV broadcast.

I appreciate your input in advance.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-20-2021, 05:26 PM
Free Member

If the first generation was played back without correction, the line errors will be baked in to the second gen. TBC now can only correct your 2nd generation errors. That's my understanding anyway.
06-20-2021, 07:07 PM
Free Member

I don't think that it is TBC related, though. But more the source recording quality? Just my assumption. But i appreciate your answer @timtape
06-20-2021, 10:25 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelhammamet View Post
I don't think that it is TBC related, though. But more the source recording quality? Just my assumption. But i appreciate your answer @timtape
My point is if the errors in just the 2nd generation playback are only small compared to the first gen errors, you may not notice when those 2nd gen. errors are corrected as they will be overwhelmed by the baked in errors which cant be corrected. So even though the TBC is doing its job, the difference may not be that noticeable. But I'd still use the TBC.
06-20-2021, 11:48 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Attach sample images and clips to forum posts, if you want Site Staff to answer.

Capturing VHS tapes is not "ripping". "Ripping" is a reserved term for extracting digital data. It can be container-less, like ripping audio CDs. Or it can be converting the file system, often augmenting data in the process, like ripping DVDs. This is a pet peeve of mine. Terms matter.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: michelhammamet (06-21-2021)