Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-03-2021, 02:06 PM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

Hello all,

Don't think there's anything to be done here really, but we're working on an interesting video (a UK firearms promo*) recorded OTA on to Betamax.

There's a lot of multipath or other signal reflection going on here, I doubt there's anything to be done apart from opening After Effects and unpicking it by compositing but I'll throw it out here anyway.

Any way to lessen the effects of signal reflections? It's most obvious in high luma-contrast areas. This is just a quick screen grab to show the sort of thing I'm working with.

Cheers,
RR

*That's a joke, it's ice-cream.

Attached Images
File Type: png Magnum At Home Video.PNG (331.0 KB, 21 downloads)

Last edited by RobustReviews; 09-03-2021 at 02:30 PM.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-03-2021, 02:48 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Ghosting.

There are ways to reduce it, but outright removal needs frame-by-frame repaint.

I'm not too keen on AE, too automated (in a bad way). Every now and again, I see software that does what is needed for something like this, but not sure what it is. Obviously proprietary, used by the likes of Disney, Warner, et al.

Removal is more of a film restoration technique, adapted to tape. So it gets tricky, deinterlace may be forced.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-04-2021, 04:38 AM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Ghosting.

I'm not too keen on AE, too automated (in a bad way). Every now and again, I see software that does what is needed for something like this, but not sure what it is. Obviously proprietary, used by the likes of Disney, Warner, et al.

Removal is more of a film restoration technique, adapted to tape. So it gets tricky, deinterlace may be forced.
After Effects is very good software, like all software it'll only do what you tell it. I've used it daily for over a decade now so I'm au fait enough with it to be able to control it, it's not really geared toward video restoration though. You can't jump in and start using After Effects though, after all of my years of using it I still have to jump across to forums to try and discover how to do what I need to do.

The stabaliser isn't gear toward videotape footage if that's something you tried and had poor success with as an 'automated feature', indeed I personally use a good deal of your modified AviSynth stabaliser which I find is very good for general VHS footage.

Deinterlacing isn't a problem, this is only stuff for my YT channel, it's not archival stuff.

Cheers for the reply, I'll have a look around the film posts on various forums.