digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Restore, Filter, Improve Quality (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/)
-   -   Bang Olufsen Beocord VX 7000 or Panasonic NV SV-121? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/12250-bang-olufsen-beocord.html)

JohnRambo 10-22-2021 11:03 AM

Bang Olufsen Beocord VX 7000 or Panasonic NV SV-121?

Hello,
I'm planning on transferring all my family videos VHS from late 80's and early 90's to a digital format.
I've been looking around for good second hand VHS players and I have the possibility to buy one of these 2:
- Bang Olufsen VX 7000
- Panasonic NV SV-121

In your opinion, which one should I get?

Thanks

lordsmurf 10-22-2021 11:13 AM

Those are both low-end VHS players. I'd not opt for either one. Almost all low-end VHS players are the same, crummy quality, wiggly non-TBC'd video output, chroma noise.

To be blunt, it's somewhat like asking which is better, cat poop or dog poop. But both are poop.

In PAL lands, you can get JVC/Panasonic S-VHS VCRs quite affordably. Buy it, use it, resell it. It holds value.

Remember that you'll need some sort of frame TBC.
As well as a non-junk capture card. Not Easycaps, ClearClicks, Elgato, etc.

JohnRambo 10-22-2021 11:45 AM

Thanks lordsmurf for your fast reply.
Panasonic NV SV-121 is in your list in the buying guide and out of all the listed VCRs, it was the only one I could find on my second hand website.
So Panasonic NV-SV 121 is good? Or I misread the list?
I will also keep researching about the other material needed. I will start the transfer process next summer, so I have time to find good equipment

hodgey 10-22-2021 11:50 AM

The NV-SV121 not a low-end VHS player, it's a SVHS deck with TBC, even listed in LS' buying guide. It's one of (or maybe the) last Panasonic SVHS PAL decks made. If you can get it for a good price, definetly go for that one. The B&O I would stay away from for digitizing.

The B&O is a Hitachi-made Hi-Fi deck which can interface with other B&O equipment. It was a higher-end model when it came out, including a flying erase head for editing, and being pretty pricey. Not aware of it being anything special for playback above other Hitachi hi-fi models from the time. Not something worth bothering with for digitizing work. It's more a thing that would be of interest for collectors of B&O gear or similar. From what I've read it's also prone to a number of issues.

lordsmurf 10-22-2021 11:58 AM

I removed it from the list, pending confirmation on the TBC. I'm not clear that it does, there have been posts on it. Perhaps the model number was shared? I know JVC did that a few times.

hodgey 10-22-2021 12:27 PM

This old thread would suggest it does have TBC and DNR at least, and the manual definitely notes a TBC function.