12-25-2021, 03:23 PM
Free Member

Need a little help with this very poor quality VHS tape. I will tell you that this company (DiscoMixClub USA) released some very poor quality videos back in the early 90's some were recorded by people in the crowd some were just recorded by some pointless individuals who couldn't care less about quality. This one tape I have here is just over saturated with redness and much more it's just one pure bad quality video.

The other main issue here is that the tape is NTSC and I have used a Panasonic NV-FS200 machine, yes I know all the problems this will give me using a none dedicated NTSC machine but I forgot how bad this tape was.

Like I said this tape was recorded using a Panasonic NV-FS200 = Lite-On HD-A760GX connected via s-video/2 phono

I don't want to install any high end software just to try and make this any better it's only one video I need to do so I have installed vd2 something I haven't used in many years. I have tried a few times to get some good results but it's still not what I want. I have tried using different colour filters but the end result is either too dark or I get too much ghosting I just can't fathom what settings to use and I am usually good with sorting something simple like this out.

Now I have uploaded 2 test files one is 1 min 69mb in size the other is just over 6 min 462mb in size the format of these files are MPEG-PS and will play in any decent player. They are cut videos straight off the Lite-on machine, there is also quite a bit of noise on the bottom I haven't cropped them.

direct download links

test 69mb file
Code:
https://1fichier.com/?9anehgyh3izuujr6vzyz
test1 462mb file
Code:
https://1fichier.com/?we1smdrokv99k8vijhyk
Code:
Format                                   : MPEG-PS
File size                                : 463 MiB
Duration                                 : 6 min 32 s
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 9 875 kb/s

Video
ID                                       : 224 (0xE0)
Format                                   : MPEG Video
Format version                           : Version 2
Format profile                           : Main@Main
Format settings                          : CustomMatrix / BVOP
Format settings, BVOP                    : Yes
Format settings, Matrix                  : Custom
Format settings, GOP                     : M=3, N=12
Format settings, picture structure       : Frame
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 9 450 kb/s
Width                                    : 720 pixels
Height                                   : 576 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 4:3
Frame rate                               : 25.000 FPS
Standard                                 : PAL
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Interlaced
Scan order                               : Top Field First
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.911
Time code of first frame                 : 00:29:11:13
Time code source                         : Group of pictures header
GOP, Open/Closed                         : Closed
Stream size                              : 441 MiB (95%)

Audio
ID                                       : 189 (0xBD)-128 (0x80)
Format                                   : AC-3
Format/Info                              : Audio Coding 3
Commercial name                          : Dolby Digital
Muxing mode                              : DVD-Video
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 256 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Channel layout                           : L R
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate                               : 31.250 FPS (1536 SPF)
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Delay relative to video                  : -480 ms
Stream size                              : 12.0 MiB (3%)
Service kind                             : Complete Main
Can anyone have a look at this and see if you can get a decent natural looking video. If you can will you please tell me what settings in vd2 you used because I have given up at the moment lol
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-25-2021, 05:55 PM
Free Member

Even without a dedicated NTSC deck you can get better quality if you capture with the correct framerate and resolution (whether the VCR outputs NTSC 4.43 or PAL60 like this one) rather than squeesing 480 lines 29.97 fps into 576 lines at 25 fps. (Or for that matter from a multi-system VCR that has standard NTSC output.) That would require something that cap capture those formats though, either a capture card and/or a newer sony/pioneer dvd-recorder (don't know any other ones that support the quasi-NTSC formats a PAL VCR outputs.)

Anyhow, the files look like the chroma has been clipped in some way, it doesn't ekstend beyond a certain level on histogram (which may be the recording as you state as the limit seems "soft".) Not idea how to best get something out of that, maybe someone else here knows.

My Video gear overview/test/repair/stuff yt channel http://youtu.be/cEyfegqQ9TU

Last edited by hodgey; 12-25-2021 at 06:27 PM.
12-25-2021, 06:42 PM
Free Member

I know it can be recorded better hodgey but not with the setup I am using, the main problem here is in the actual quality of the VHS tape itself it is bad. There is something I can try which I haven't done so yet I have a Panasonic DMR-EX350 that I think outputs NTSC, I am going to use it as a passthrough though the last time I used it it left a white line on the actual recording you can see the problem I had with it here again the video used in this topic was NTSC but the quality was much better than this video.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...is-combination

I do have a ES10 but it's packed away at the moment and I can't get to it just yet.

I can put it through Premiere Pro or Filmora but I don't want to re-install any of these just yet just for 1 simple video, I just can't find any decent settings in vd2 especially the colour filters which seem to be making it look worse.
12-28-2021, 02:29 PM
Free Member

Just been doing some test with my AG-4700 and this bad NTSC tape, I've attached the Panasonic DMR-XS350 (not EX350) set the output of the XS350 to NTSC and it's actually reduced some of the redness, also if I reduce the picture sharpness on the 4700 to soft it looks slightly better moving it to sharp makes it look much worse.
12-29-2021, 07:43 AM
Free Member

Would adding a proc amp to the capture chain help?
12-29-2021, 08:34 AM
Free Member

I haven't used a proc amp for years can't get hold of one anymore, it could work it could make it worse without testing one I wouldn't like to guess on this video. I also highly doubt a dedicated NTSC machine will make it look any better it's just a bad recording.

The XS350 helped a little bit but like previous test with this machine it's left a ghosting white bar across the top of the recording, I will try my ES10 just can't get to it at the present.
12-30-2021, 03:09 PM
Free Member

I finally got my ES10 out but for the sake of it I can't figure the settings.

This is my setup

VCR = s-video out to ES10 AV4 in
ES10 = s-video out to Lite-on S-video in

Now this is where I am having trouble I hear sound but no picture

I can't figure the connections settings I have forgot with this machine do I have to use the S video with component for AV1 Output, then set AV2 Input S video with Ext Link 1?

I have tried a few options but I am not getting a picture through at all just sound.