Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-06-2022, 11:00 AM
Premium Member

With an 8mm source with lots of noise, I used Hybrid and removed noise and messed around with some settings. I was pretty happy with the results (although still frustrated/worried because I don't really know what I'm doing). I then put that cleaned up clip through Topaz (Artmeis Low) to see if it could be improved more.

See the comparison in the attachments. There wasn't a noticeable change overall, but Topaz fixed the fuzzy border (not sure the correct term) and made the lines around people are objects cleaner. I really like it.

My question: What settings should I play with in Hybrid to mimic the cleaner edges that Topaz Artemis Low delivered? (I wish I knew how to export my Hybrid settings to share them here so you can see what settings I already applied.) In short, I used EdgeCleaner (stength=10, RepairMode=17), HQDering, and AAF. Have no idea if that helped or not. But didn't produce the Topaz style result.

By the way, not pictured is the raw footage sent directly to Topaz Dione Interlaced TV. The results weren't good. It didn't remove the noise and/or grain and I was much happier with my Hybrid settings. The reason I used Topaz on my cleaned up Hybrid footage was because I have been impressed with the way Topaz handles fairly clean sources, line MiniDV footage.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Comparison - Raw vs Hybrid vs Hybrid and Artemis Low.jpg (32.9 KB, 28 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-06-2022, 02:21 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
In Avisynth (via Hybrid is fine), you need to add WarpSharp or WarpSharp2. It'll look better than Topaz, that software is such a hatchet job on video. Anything Topaz can do can be done better in Avisynth.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: ThumperStrauss (02-06-2022)

Tags
artemis, comparison, edge, hybrid, topaz