digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Restore, Filter, Improve Quality (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/)
-   -   Got captures, now what? Avisynth, histograms? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/12616-captures-avisynth-histograms.html)

newby 03-11-2022 06:07 PM

Got captures, now what? Avisynth, histograms?

I've been doing lots of captures, tweaking various bits of my kit, even baked some tapes, now I'm looking at restoration.

I hop on the forums and find this post: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...-avisynth.html

checking levels seems perfectly reasonable and I have been curious about what's 'actually' been captured given I've not messed with BVP/proc amp at all. So I download avisynth/hybrid/klite codecs, run the script and I get:

Code:

Avisynth open failure: Histogram: Levels mode only available in PLANAR
so some googling later, I am capturing huffy YUY2 4:2:2 interleaved. Should I be de-interlacing/converting to some other format before any other processes? Any other good beginner guides/posts I should be looking at?

Thanks!

Selur 03-11-2022 10:36 PM

The PLANAR refers to http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Convert, which shows that YUY2 is a interleaved color format.
So, assuming you use Avisynth++, you should add:
Code:

ConvertToYV16()
if your content is interlaced, the call should be:
Code:

ConvertToYV16(interlaced=true)
before your histogram-call.

Cu Selur

newby 03-13-2022 11:07 AM

Wow, snappy response from the man himself. This works perfectly. Prior to posting I figured I had to convert and found the doc you linked but got a little overwhelmed with the wall of text. I figured I had to convert but with zero understanding of the scripts yet I didn't know how.

Reading the 'Convert' doc and lordsmurf's chroma flaws post more closely makes me question some of my capture settings:
  • I have the option for 'square pixels' or 'CCIR-601'; I assumed CCIR-601 was 'native' and have been using that. Is this correct?
  • My JVC HR-WS9911U settings: Video Cal=ON, Picture Control=AUTO, R3=OFF, Video Stabilizer=OFF, TBC=ON - is TBC/DNR integrated and separate from R3?
I've been reading/watching some other guides and now I have more questions than answers:

I've got a dedicated old win7 machine for capture, but I recently decided to expel microsoft/google from my life so my primary workstation is linux mint, xeon/lots of ram/nvme/cuda/10gbe etc.

As a linux n00b and all guides seem to be for windows I figured doing this stuff in a vm would make life easier. I have successfully installed vdub/avisynth+/QTGMC/AVSpmod etc on a win7 vm under vbox... then I tried installing Hybrid and bumped into the directX issue.

So it looks like I either replicate all of the install in a win10 vm or try 100% linux workflow (seems preferred in the long run).

Avisynth+/AvxSynth seems good to go but vdub32 requires wine, so how would you render? As for Hybrid, I downloaded Hybrid Linux64 (tools) and it looks like I end up with an unpackaged binary but with no config file, now what? :question:

Thanks in advance.

Selur 03-13-2022 12:04 PM

about the capturing: lollo or lordsmurf can probably recommend what is best there (haven't personally captured for 20+ years ;))
(iirc CCIR-601 <> BT.601, should be correct for vhs)

Personally I would use Vapoursynth instead of Avisynth on Linux, or look at the current progress of Avisynth+ for Linux. (last I checked they ported some of the filters, but there were still tons to go)
If VirtualDub is your weapon of choice I would probably setup a dual-boot system (first install Windows, then Linux, neither wine nor vms worked reliably enough for me).

Regarding Hybrid on Linux:
1. extract the whole package into a folder (Hybrid should be executable so you can start it by double click or via command line). Hybrid like on all systems config files will be created on first start. (on Linux in under ~/.hybrid)
2. if you want Vapoursynth (-> https://github.com/Selur/hybrid-vapoursynth-addon) should work.
Avisynth isn't supported in Hybrid on Linux. (not sure it will be again)
3. starting with the next release Hybrid will also have some GLSL filters integrated for those you would need to add https://github.com/Selur/hybrid-glsl-filters
(torchpy based filters atm. are only supported on Windows systems atm. and require a special torchAddon and an NVIDIA card)

Cu Selur

lordsmurf 03-13-2022 07:27 PM

I de-Windows my life as well, years ago, but not for video. Video is 99% a Windows task. WinXP, Win7.

- Mint and Xubuntu are daily systems, basic web, docs, email, etc.
- Android for tablet. (Dumped iPads.)
- Have old Mac, not currently working, want to get an M2 mini when it comes out, for H.265 editing.

OS are just tools for tasks. Use the right too for the task. For video, that means Windows. Keep it offline.

You can't use VMs well, or at all, with video. I did some Avisynth in Parallels on Mac years ago, and it was slow, sometimes buggy. Yes, it worked, if you must. Capturing in a VM is not possible, just the filter/encode steps.

If you insist on Linux filter/encode, do what Selur states. That's exactly what I'd do.

lollo2 03-14-2022 10:43 AM

Quote:

I have the option for 'square pixels' or 'CCIR-601'; I assumed CCIR-601 was 'native' and have been using that. Is this correct?
Yes.

Quote:

My JVC HR-WS9911U settings: Video Cal=ON, Picture Control=AUTO, R3=OFF, Video Stabilizer=OFF, TBC=ON - is TBC/DNR integrated and separate from R3?
Yes, R3 is a "image enhancer", separated from T.B.C./N.R.

About the settings, it is a controversial choice. It depends on your source; generally Picture Control=EDIT and R3=OFF and Video Stabilizer=OFF is best (T.B.C./N.R. always ON, Video Cal=ON if the tapes were recorded with the same machine). In my case most of the time I prefer Picture Control=NORM and R3=ON, sometime Picture Control=EDIT and R3=OFF. Many topic about this here and in videohelp forums.

Some comparison of mine here (my VCR does not have Video Stabilizer feature):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1jp...cMC7e3mAr6svPh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0FD...r6svPh&index=2

newby 03-15-2022 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Selur (Post 83435)
Personally I would use Vapoursynth instead of Avisynth on Linux

After looking into Avisynth+ I agree.

Quote:

If VirtualDub is your weapon of choice I would probably setup a dual-boot system (first install Windows, then Linux, neither wine nor vms worked reliably enough for me).

Is Hybrid a full vdub replacement or are there still some things only vdub can accomplish? Is there a Hybrid getting started guide anywhere?

vdub seems to be working well under vbox, Hybrid seems close-ish:
-'Base' preview opens/closes without playing unless I first select Filtering>Support:noXSynth
-'Filtering' preview 'noXSynth' plays but 'Avisynth' does nothing and 'Vapoursynth' gives error:
Code:

Illegal output resolution (720x485). Progressive YUV420PX requires mod2 compatible width and height
This could be related to my capture video and I'm not sure if lack of preview = lack of output.

vdub under wine (PlayOn) loads quickly and seems functional except it cannot play back pane 1 & 2 simultaneously. I've not tried to process/output anything yet.

I really was hoping to avoid dual boot so I'm going throw my old GPU in a free slot and give KVM w/ PCI passthru a go before I throw in the towel.

Quote:

Regarding Hybrid on Linux: 1. extract the whole package into a folder (Hybrid should be executable so you can start it by double click or via command line). Hybrid like on all systems config files will be created on first start. (on Linux in under ~/.hybrid)

This is what I was trying to do and was not working. A little googling revealed its a Nautilus/security thing. Solution was to either use CLI ( ./Hybrid) or add a launcher to Cinnamon menu.

newby 03-15-2022 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lollo2 (Post 83462)
Yes, R3 is a "image enhancer", separated from T.B.C./N.R.

Interesting observations. I asked for confirmation because I seem to remember lordsmurf mentioning 'edit' disabled some useful processing. Videostabilizer does seem to improve some commercial tapes but worsens the oldest tapes in my queue.

It may be interesting to do a true apples to apples comparison for your new capture using the same settings to rule out any aging degradation. My oldest tapes are from '92, been stored fairly well and not exhibiting any obvious issues so I figured I would capture, then experiment with baking. No squealing or other bad signs during first captures but I have noticed a significant difference post baking.

Selur 03-15-2022 01:39 PM

Quote:

Is Hybrid a full vdub replacement or are there still some things only vdub can accomplish?
Hybrid never aimed to be a VirtualDub replacement.
For example it doesn't support capturing content, or cutting it multiple times and there are probably tons of stuff VirtualDub can that Hybrid can't do.

Quote:

Is there a Hybrid getting started guide anywhere?
No, if you need one, Hybrid isn't meant for you. :P (so you will have lots of 'fun' figuring Hybrid out)

Quote:

vdub seems to be working well under vbox, Hybrid seems close-ish:
-'Base' preview opens/closes without playing unless I first select Filtering>Support:noXSynth
-'Filtering' preview 'noXSynth' plays but 'Avisynth' does nothing and 'Vapoursynth' gives error:
Code:

Illegal output resolution (720x485). Progressive YUV420PX requires mod2 compatible width and height

You selected YUV420 as output color sampling but your video is 720x485, which isn't possible with that color sampling. (you might want to read up on YUV color samplings and their restrictions)

Quote:

This is what I was trying to do and was not working. A little googling revealed its a Nautilus/security thing. Solution was to either use CLI ( ./Hybrid) or add a launcher to Cinnamon menu.
Different window manager different issues. *gig*

Cu Selur