07-26-2022, 04:45 PM
Free Member

Hello guys,
i got a real request from one of my friend to digitize a tape for his school reunion.

Equipments (with connections):

JVC HR-S9600 - S-Video - DataVideo TBC-1000 - S-Video - Purple Box - ATI AIW 9000

RCA audio goes directly from JVC HR-S9600 to Purple Box

I followed sanlyn's http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...-settings.html. I am very grateful for it.

The result: 3 hours and 20 minutes with 92 GB, 0 dropped, inserted frames.

How to proceed?

Previously i used ATI MMC 8.1 for capturing but it has fewer options than VirtualDub so i start to use VirtualDub instead. Can i make the post processing methods also in VirtualDub or should i move on to Avisynth (never used it before)?

Actually what filters or corrections can i use from VirtualDub 1.9.11 pre installed filters? There is a little head-switching noise at the bottom but i am not sure how to use masking properly in Cropping menu without messing up the resolution. I can not decide that deinterlacing is okay or not in post processing or it is forbidden just in capturing phase.

Are there any written or video recorded guide about post processing as well?

Any help would be inspiring after i captured my first "professional" lossless AVI
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-27-2022, 07:34 AM
Free Member

Quote:
How to proceed?
It depends on your captured video.

Quote:
Can i make the post processing methods also in VirtualDub or should i move on to Avisynth (never used it before)?
VirtualDub has a limited set of filters, some of them are excellent. AviSynth offers a much larger choice.

Quote:
There is a little head-switching noise at the bottom but i am not sure how to use masking properly in Cropping menu without messing up the resolution.
Cropping is different than masking. To mask the head switching noise on the bottom you need to remove the bad lines and replace them with black lines. There are more sophisticated techniques to recover the few lines in the "bad" portion of the frame that are good, but that's another story. AviSynth needed.

Quote:
I can not decide that deinterlacing is okay or not in post processing or it is forbidden just in capturing phase.
The video must be captured in its original form, interlaced or "progressive" (with the word progressive here I mean that the fields are coming from the same moment in time).
In order to assess the nature of the video (interlaced, telecined, whatever else), it must be analyzed manually.
If the video is interlaced, it is a question of your preference and your goals to decide or not about deinterlacing it, in post-processing.

Quote:
Are there any written or video recorded guide about post processing as well?
Any video is "unique", and there is not a general guide. However, if your capture has not a major problem, a standard deinterlace / denoise / sharpening filtering can be applied. Post a significative sample of your video.
The following users thank lollo2 for this useful post: Cortez (07-27-2022)
07-27-2022, 07:53 AM
Free Member

Post a significative sample of your video.

Umm the file size is very huge. I tried to find a tool here in the forum to export sample from existing captured video but i am not sure how to use it or what was its name. Now i am cutting the full video into different scenes (like first video is a trip, the second one is a wedding and so on). I only opened the lossless AVI in VirtualDub and set the start and the end point of the scene, set the compression to Huffyuv once again, selected the full video and click on Save as AVI. This kind of method is also ok for adding sample to this post or should i decrease the file size even more? Maybe there is a dedicated tool for this?
07-27-2022, 08:11 AM
Free Member

Just select start and end points of a significant section (30 seconds), and direct stream copy.

A guide here: https://www.weethet.nl/english/video_cutavis.php

A channel on S-VHS / VHS capture and AviSynth restoration https://bit.ly/3mHWbkN