Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-30-2022, 11:34 AM
Free Member

I've captured a tape but I've noticed some streaking on the titles and since the film does have some subtitles I would like to correct them if I could but none of the filters I've tried in virtualdub or avisynth have seemed to improve things.
normanwithdvdrecordersegment2.avi_20220530_113905.375.jpg

I captured it with s-video from JVC HR-S3912 -> passthrough Panasonic DMR-ES15 -> Osprey 201 capture card
The problems may be in the original transfer but if anyone has suggestions on filters to try I would appreciate it!

Attached Files
File Type: avi normanwithdvdrecordersegment3.avi (72.34 MB, 11 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-30-2022, 01:09 PM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

Looks like signal reflection.

You've got two cases here:

i. It's recorded onto the tape, this is almost certain if it was an 'off air' television recording - removing it is a nightmare.
ii. If it's a prerecorded tape it's probably an issue in your signal chain.

It's an issue with the way analogue video works tied in with poor terminations, badly sited antennas or faulty equipment. It causes the sudden and uniform change in luminance (brightness) value to reflect in the cabling of the equipment. Imagine a wave hitting a brick wall, it ricochets backwards and forwards until its energy completely decays.

On off-air recordings it's either caused by poor cabling -or- multipath reception where the recorder is receiving two slightly different signals (for example, the 'main' signal, then another weaker version that's bounced off a nearby building) or a combination of both effects. As these signals are slightly out of time this also shows up on regular, high contrast areas such as text. Removing it is a complete pig and you've got to be seriously dedicated to remove it.

Less likely on pre-recorded cassettes, in which case I'd suggest removing the Panasonic as a first pass diagnosis to see if this effect is stopped or deminished.

It's most noticable on text as it tends by its nature to be high contrast, and it's regularly shaped so it's more noticable.
05-30-2022, 02:22 PM
Free Member

the colors are washed out, work on that with color curves (gradation curves on Vdub) and that should look better
05-30-2022, 05:06 PM
Free Member

The image shows yellow text on a light colored background. Colors on a scanline naturally bleed into each other due to the low chroma bandwidth (resolution) of VHS. You won't see it on a black background, or with black text on a light background, because the black hides the chroma smearing. So the smearing is a result of an unfortunate creative decision that didn't consider how it would look on VHS.
05-31-2022, 08:29 AM
Free Member

Thanks for the feedback! It is a pre-recorded movie. I've tried transferring it with entirely different hardware and I found an ancient supercompressed version online and they both have the streaking. So it seems to be in the movie itself. Other subs later in the film aren't as bad so I probably won't spend the time to correct it by hand.

In the clip I uploaded I haven't color corrected it yet so that may help mask it somewhat.

Thanks!