Quantcast VCR Buying Guide (S-VHS, D-VHS, Professional) for restoring video - Page 16 - digitalFAQ Forum
Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-22-2020, 04:54 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 1,829 Times in 1,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik92 View Post
I have an option to buy either JVC HR-S7700EU or Panasonic NV-HS1000.
Which one would be a better buy?
Can't decide as both of them are quite good from what I know.
Panasonic NV-HS1000 offer is a bit more expensive though.
Does it worth extra over JVC HR-S7700EU?
It depends on your source tapes. But the general rule is JVC 1st, Panasonic 2nd. If you can only have one deck, get the JVC. If you can get both, then get both, as the decks will behave differently. Usually tapes act best with the JVC, but sometimes JVCs reject some tapes (therefore Panasonic better, for those tapes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose carlosv View Post
Hello i am thinking to buy a complement to my jvc hm-dr10000eu pal model.
This vcr works fine but id like to have another one to complement this one.
What i looking for, obviusly, best picture and sound quality possible for my vhs and s-vhs tapes.
I know the panasonic nv-hs1000 is a good choice and is very appreciate for the people,there are a lot of units to sell in ebay,
All JVC is nicely complemented by a Panasonic deck. But JVC D-VHS can be completed by a JVC S-VHS, with the HR-S being more different than the SR models. So the 9700 would be a complement.

Quote:
but i was reading in the forum that the jvc hr-s9700 is better than panasonic.
A JVC being better than a Panasonic is, again, the general rule. But as a complement, the Panasonic would get my vote more than another JVC. But again, it really depends on source tapes (retail, homemade, recording modes, etc).

Quote:
As i said i am looking the best picture and sound quality possible, i dont know if those vcr (both the panasonic and the jvc) are better or worst than my jvc d-vhs deck but hope you can help me to choose the correct one.
JVC and Panasonic S-VHS are generally better than the D-VHS. (But that's also not saying the D-VHS is bad. Better doesn't make not-better = bad.)

Quote:
Obviusly i cant buy both because i have no phisical space to have so many decks, I have a Beta Hifi Sanyo vtc-m40 and Superbeta Sony Sl-Hf950 plus the d-vhs jvc (all decks are PAL MODE)and as i say i have no physical space to buy both the panasonic and the jvc.
Yep, decks do take up space. Build a custom rack. A good rack can hold at least 4-6 decks, plus other gear like TBCs. I have 3, with 2 in use, 1 in storage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1RIUS View Post
I'm sad I ordered a second hand HR-S7955MS I dont see TBC in the menu Is there any reasons ?
That makes me sad, too.

That's a deck I've not seen, don't know much about. When in this thread (post#) was that exact model mentioned? This needs to be noted.

Quote:
Ehm, according to the service manuel its only included in the EU/EK version.
Interesting.
The 7711 has a MESECAM mode, though I have no way to test it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1RIUS View Post
Service Manual :
Attachment 12561
Thanks for that added info.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Find television shows, cartoons, DVDs and Blu-ray releases at the TVPast forums.
10-23-2020, 01:43 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post

That makes me sad, too.

That's a deck I've not seen, don't know much about. When in this thread (post#) was that exact model mentioned? This needs to be noted.
I saw it there : http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/1567-vcr-buying-guide-2.html#post17383

But there is absolutely no problem, it was the only decent available in second hand market in France.
10-25-2020, 01:26 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post

A JVC being better than a Panasonic is, again, the general rule. But as a complement, the Panasonic would get my vote more than another JVC. But again, it really depends on source tapes (retail, homemade, recording modes, etc).

It's a LordSmurf rule.

Here in Europe, especially in Germany, the two most popular video recorders for digitizing are the JVC HR-S 9600 and the Panasonic FS200. Many users prefer the Panasonic recorder.
Some prefer the JVC others the Panasonic. It depends on your videotape.

The only rule there is that there is no rule.
Each player plays the tape differently. Therefore, if you want to digitize a large number of video cassettes, you should have a Panasonic, JVC and maybe any different brand at home and choose the player that works best with your video tape.
On the European market you have a large selection of different devices, even if you look beyond national borders.
The following users thank Bogilein for this useful post: lordsmurf (10-25-2020)
10-25-2020, 11:45 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 1,829 Times in 1,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogilein View Post
It's a LordSmurf rule.
Some prefer the JVC others the Panasonic. It depends on your videotape.
Yep. All rules have exceptions.

Quote:
the Panasonic FS200. Many users prefer the Panasonic recorder.
I still want one of these.

But if it ever develops caps issues, I'm pretty screwed, nobody wants to recap PAL decks. And I'm not really equipped to solder anything anymore. I'm more likely to make a mess.

Quote:
Therefore, if you want to digitize a large number of video cassettes, you should have a Panasonic, JVC and maybe any different brand
Yep.

Also, certain JVC and Panasonics have differing properties, so you can actually have 2x JVC or 2x Panasonic, different models with the brand, as each reacts different to the tape. If you can afford all those decks, it helps ensure a smooth transfer projects. But my advice is when you can only pick one unit. Usually (not always) the JVC is the best deck overall, for the project. But it's always best to discuss a project here in the forum, before buying, get a 2nd opinion for the project planning.

Quote:
On the European market you have a large selection of different devices, even if you look beyond national borders.
I don't know about that. Some countries are dead zones for good players. Most of the good gear comes out of UK, Germany, and (these days) Netherlands.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Find television shows, cartoons, DVDs and Blu-ray releases at the TVPast forums.
12-04-2020, 01:05 AM
Free Member

I'm looking to get an S-VHS deck to digitize both SP and EP/SLP VHS tapes. I've done some searching of this thread and forum. Would a JVC S-VHS deck with Dynamic Drum (8000/9000 IIRC) be better for EP/SLP? I've seen a lot of people have praise for the Panasonic AG1980, which looks like a good model overall, but I was wondering if a JVC would be worth it for EP/SLP.
12-04-2020, 07:53 PM
Free Member

For EP/SLP tapes, I would recommend an AG-1980, it has DNR circuitry that is able to sharpen the picture and provide a great output. They can often suffer issues from age and build quality though, so they may need service Here are a couple of pictures from my never serviced(as far as I know) AG-1980 using a non-hifi tape in EP mode for demonstration. I captured these using my Dazzle DVC-100 capture card.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg arnold1.jpg (121.8 KB, 11 downloads)
File Type: jpg arnold2.jpg (66.6 KB, 7 downloads)
File Type: jpg arnold4.jpg (70.6 KB, 6 downloads)
File Type: jpg arnold3.jpg (73.5 KB, 7 downloads)
12-08-2020, 07:21 AM
Free Member

Hi All, I have the following setup...

Panasonic DMR-EZ48V (using component (RGB) output into Blackmagic device)
Blackmagic Shuttle Intensity USB3.0
Capture with Blackmagic Media Express (makes about 200-300GB file)
Import into Premiere Pro > edit and encode to MP4 (15-20GB file)

I was just checking if my setup looks ok to you guys. I have done a few tapes and they seem ok but want the best quality as only going to be doing them once. I have 100's of tapes to get through. Is it worth buying a VHS player with TBC? Such as the Panasonic NV-HS930 or a JVC?

I noticed the ones with TBC dont have component output but scart, is there any benefit of me using my existing Panasonic with component output or would the TBC ones with scart be better?

Thanks
12-10-2020, 11:46 AM
Premium Member

Is Metz 9877 equivalent to Panasonic NV-HS1000?
12-10-2020, 12:12 PM
Free Member

Ended up going on a bit of a deep dive..

The 9877 should be the equivialent to the NV-HS1000, while the 9876 seems to be equivalent to the NV-HS800 (which is the same as the NV-HS1000 but without the TBC.)

Metz VC62 seems to be the NV-HS950, which is a slightly newer model with some digital circuitry using similar ICs to the NTSC AG1980P (but with a bunch of differences otherwise.) while the 64VA14 seems to match the similar looking but less featured NV-HS900.

Metz VE61 looks like NV-HS850.

Metz VF61 looks like the NV-HS860.

Metz VG61 looks like NV-HS825 though small pictures so I'm not sure..

Metz 9874 seems to be equiv to the NV-FS88 (FS200 sans TBC).

Metz 9875 seems to match the (I think older) NV-FS100.

Their normal VHS models seem to be a mix of panasonic and others, the VE44 looks a bit lik the NV-HD645, but others look like something completely different.

Last edited by hodgey; 12-10-2020 at 12:41 PM.