digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Restore, Filter, Improve Quality (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/)
-   -   VCR Buying Guide (S-VHS, D-VHS, Professional) for restoring video (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/1567-vcr-buying-guide.html)

lordsmurf 09-19-2011 11:22 PM

Here's a more complete list of available models.

Note that this post is NOT suggesting these are all good models (that will come later), but simply sharing the full list of what exists in the 7000, 8000 and 9000 series. Generally speaking, models after the "600" were using the features that made the JVC lines of VCRs so respected by users -- 7600 and higher, 8600 and higher, and 9600 and higher. There are a few select models in the 500 ranges, like NTSC HR-S9500U, which contained all of the desired features (including the line TBC), but the same was not true of the PAL edition.

Key to characters:
  • AG = ?
  • AM = multi-format NTSC, PAL, SECAM B
  • E = same as EU, without NICAM stereo receiver
  • EE = ?
  • EF = same as MS
  • EH = same as EU, with NICAM stereo receiver
  • EK = European model, marketed to England/UK (made in Germany), PAL I standard (also perhaps PAL B/G D/K)
  • EU = European model, marketed to bulk of Europe, PAL B/G D/K and SECAM B (recorded in MESECAM)
  • EX = same as EU
  • KR = Korean model, NTSC
  • MS = French model, PAL B/G and SECAM L (recorded in SECAM L)
  • N = ?
  • U = NTSC model, marketed to North America: USA, Mexico and Canada (made in Japan)
  • UC = NTSC model, marketed to Canada
  • UM = ?
This should be a complete list of JVC S-VHS units...

7000-7500 series JVC S-VHS VCRs:
  • JVC HR-S7000EG
  • JVC HR-S7000EH
  • JVC HR-S7000U
  • JVC HR-S7100U
  • JVC HR-S7200U
  • JVC HR-S7300U
  • JVC HR-S7500
  • JVC HR-S7500EH
  • JVC HR-S7500EE
  • JVC HR-S7500EK
  • JVC HR-S7500MS
  • JVC HR-S7500U
7600+ series JVC S-VHS VCRs:
  • JVC HR-S7600AM
  • JVC HR-S7600EU
  • JVC HR-S7600MS
  • JVC HR-S7600U
  • JVC HR-S7611EU
  • JVC HR-S7700EK
  • JVC HR-S7700EU
  • JVC HR-S7700MS
  • JVC HR-S7711EU
  • JVC HR-S7722EK
  • JVC HR-S7722EU
  • JVC HR-S7800U
  • JVC HR-S7800UC
  • JVC HR-S7850EU
  • JVC HR-S7850MS
  • JVC HR-S7851EU
  • JVC HR-S7851MS
  • JVC HR-S7855EE
  • JVC HR-S7860EK
  • JVC HR-S7900U
  • JVC HR-S7900UC
  • JVC HR-S7950EU
  • JVC HR-S7955MS
  • JVC HR-S795SEK
  • JVC HR-S7960N
  • JVC HR-S7960E
  • JVC HR-S7960EX
  • JVC HR-S7960EU
  • JVC HR-S7965EF
  • JVC HR-S7965EK
8000-8500 series JVC S-VHS VCRs:
  • JVC HR-S8000MS
  • JVC HR-S8000U
  • JVC HR-S8006UM
  • JVC HR-S8007UM
  • JVC HR-S8010UM
  • JVC HR-S8500E
  • JVC HR-S8500EH
  • JVC HR-S8500MS
8600+ series JVC S-VHS VCRs:
  • JVC HR-S8600EK
  • JVC HR-S8600EU
  • JVC HR-S8600MS
  • JVC HR-S8700EK
  • JVC HR-S8700EU
  • JVC HR-S8700MS
  • JVC HR-S8850EK
  • JVC HR-S8850EU
  • JVC HR-S8850MS
  • JVC HR-S8900KR
  • JVC HR-S8955EE
  • JVC HR-S8960AG
  • JVC HR-S8960EX
  • JVC HR-S8960E
  • JVC HR-S8965EK
9000-9500 series JVC S-VHS VCRs:
  • JVC HR-S9000EG
  • JVC HR-S9200EG
  • JVC HR-S9200EH
  • JVC HR-S9400
  • JVC HR-S9400E
  • JVC HR-S9400EH
  • JVC HR-S9400EK
  • JVC HR-S9500E
  • JVC HR-S9500EH
  • JVC HR-S9500EK
  • JVC HR-S9500MS
  • JVC HR-S9500U
9600+ series JVC S-VHS VCRs:
  • JVC HR-S9600EK
  • JVC HR-S9600EU
  • JVC HR-S9600MS
  • JVC HR-S9600U
  • JVC HR-S9700EK
  • JVC HR-S9700EU
  • JVC HR-S9700MS
  • JVC HR-S9800U
  • JVC HR-S9850EU
  • JVC HR-S9850EK
  • JVC HR-S9850MS
  • JVC HR-S9900U
  • JVC HR-S9911U

LukeS 10-21-2011 01:20 AM

I was looking into possibly replacing my JVC SR-S365U with a model that has a TBC for when I convert all my home videos over to digital. I was thinking possible a JVC HR-S9600U through the 9900U or the JVC HM-DH40000U. The HM-DH40000U JVC page and manual does not mention a TBC, does this VCR have one? Which one would provide better quality for old none S-VHS, VHS-C home videos.

lordsmurf 10-25-2011 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LukeS (Post 17770)
I was looking into possibly replacing my JVC SR-S365U with a model that has a TBC for when I convert all my home videos over to digital. I was thinking possible a JVC HR-S9600U through the 9900U or the JVC HM-DH40000U. The HM-DH40000U JVC page and manual does not mention a TBC, does this VCR have one?

According to two people I highly trust, yes. (One of them is a member on this forum: username "markatisu")
And I've seen some of Mark's before/after work. Definitely a TBC in there. We used to trade sample discs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LukeS (Post 17770)
Which one would provide better quality for old none S-VHS, VHS-C home videos.

Neither. Get a Panasonic AG-1980 for VHS-C.
For the S-VHS, the ideal VCR would be the aforementioned JVC series decks.

How much money do you have? :)

NJRoadfan 10-25-2011 07:48 AM

The HM-DH40000U (also sold as the JVC SR-VD400U and Marantz MV-8300) has DigiPure (JVC's trade name for its TBC/DNR circuit). All the advertising literature states it, the difference is that you can't manually turn DigiPure on and off on this model, so no reference to it in the manual. The biggest "con" for the model (for me anyway) is the lack of a tape counter on the front display of the VCR, its only available on the on screen display!

LukeS 10-25-2011 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 17799)
According to two people I highly trust, yes. (One of them is a member on this forum: username "markatisu")
And I've seen some of Mark's before/after work. Definitely a TBC in there. We used to trade sample discs.

Neither. Get a Panasonic AG-1980 for VHS-C.
For the S-VHS, the ideal VCR would be the aforementioned JVC series decks.

How much money do you have? :)

Thanks for the response. Not a lot of money at all, I just want to get the best equipment I can for the task. I am patient and have gotten the stuff I have now for good deals.

There is so much contradictory information on forums for which VCR is better, this is so confusing. Is the only difference between the Panasonic AG-5710 and AG-1980 a lack of built-in tuner in the AG-5710 and addition of a serial port?

lordsmurf 10-26-2011 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LukeS (Post 17817)
There is so much contradictory information on forums for which VCR is better, this is so confusing.

And it happens for these reasons:

1. Detail vs Noise. Humans perception is easy to fool. You've surely seen the various eye tricks that exploit blind spots and color accuracy. JVC gear cleans up images more thoroughly than Panasonic equipment. However, some people think grain/noise is "detail" because it makes an image falsely seem to have more information. Therein lies a major argument of filters vs no filters, or JVC vs Panasonic.

2. Use vs Non-Use. Most people join a "camp" (fanbase) because it's the equipment they use. Therefore it must be best, because everybody likes to think themselves as good judges of quality and character. So there's lots of chatter from people who really only have limited experience (and sometimes claim otherwise). Few of us have truly used lots of these decks, and have a solid basis upon which to compare and give advice.

3. Cheapskates. Lots of people want the lowest-cost item around, and will defame anything more costly. This is often a situation where a person is more interested in defending their purchase than adhering to facts/science. When cornered by facts, many of these people make the cop-out excuse that it's "good enough" (acknowledging that it's not good, but still too stubborn to state as such outright).

Once you filter out all the crap -- which isn't easy when you're not familiar with the topic -- then you can make educated decisions based on important areas that matter. For example:
  • JVC S-VHS VCRs often eat VHS-C tapes, hence only Panasonic S-VHS VCRs are suggested for this sole task
  • JVC decks clean up VHS signals better
  • However, Panasonic decks are better with tracking long-play EP/SLP mode recordings
That's one reason so many serious hobbyists and pros have to stock multiple VCRs, to tackle most common projects. There's no way you can own a single S-VHS VCR, and be prepared for anything you'll likely encounter. (This who would disagree with this statement easily fit back into point #3; cheapskates, trying to defend their decisions.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by LukeS (Post 17817)
Is the only difference between the Panasonic AG-5710 and AG-1980 a lack of built-in tuner in the AG-5710 and addition of a serial port?

That's my understanding as well, yes. :thumb:

gilou8 12-02-2011 07:58 AM

hello thanks for your forum
i am trying to get service manual for hr S8000MS and i still don't

By the way, upper you put a list of "Key to characters:" for jvc

i do one think because i am from france : MS = multistandard
and mean that vcr can play and record (and have tuner too)
2 standards : PAL and SECAM, secam which was use in france and in RUSSIA; so, in this country that this kind of model that was sold.
other thing : 8000U (ntsc north american unit) is quite different than the 8000MS, even if most of time U/EK/MS are same model and are for different country. And i asking me what is corresponding in usa for 8000MS.

even if 8000MS have not tbc correction, it give a sharpened picture defaut are (as welknow) :
- with some vhs jump track hifi/track mono
- and the worst : blank spot on video and i learn these days that it is probably because of static discharge from head without find solution

well sorry for approximative english and i hope that is correct to post here (i saw the reply limitation)
regards

lordsmurf 12-06-2011 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gilou8 (Post 18238)
hello thanks for your forum

Hi there, and welcome to the site. :)

Quote:

i am trying to get service manual for hr S8000MS and i still don't
Unfortunately, I can't seem to find one either. Maybe a fellow JVC HR-S8000MS owner will find this thread, and be willing to scan and/or upload a copy of his/hers. That's about the best we can hope for, right now. All I've seen is a couple of those "manual PDF download" scam sites claiming to have one, but you never can tell if those are legitimate (many are not).

Quote:

By the way, upper you put a list of "Key to characters:" for jvc
i do one think because i am from france : MS = multistandard and mean that vcr can play and record (and have tuner too)
2 standards : PAL and SECAM, secam which was use in france and in RUSSIA; so, in this country that this kind of model that was sold.
other thing : 8000U (ntsc north american unit) is quite different than the 8000MS, even if most of time
I'll see about clarifying the key in some way. Thanks. :thumb:

Quote:

U/EK/MS are same model and are for different country. And i asking me what is corresponding in usa for 8000MS.
Eh, sometimes yes, sometimes no. The model often share certain base similarities, which can help with repairs. Heads, for example, are not PAL or NTSC -- they're just heads. And JVC was pretty good about using the same model numbers worldwide for S-VHS VCRs of the same parts generation.

Quote:

even if 8000MS have not tbc correction, it give a sharpened picture defaut are (as welknow) :
- with some vhs jump track hifi/track mono
- and the worst : blank spot on video and i learn these days that it is probably because of static discharge from head without find solution
Thanks for the mini-review. That's all very helpful information.

Quote:

well sorry for approximative english
You did well. I understood it perfectly. (My French is far worse!)

Quote:

and i hope that is correct to post here (i saw the reply limitation)
regards
It was correct -- this sort of addition enriched the thread, so it was very valid to bump it with your reply.

Thanks much.

jeremybrice 12-18-2011 08:43 PM

Mistubishi MD-3000

Hello,
Thank you very much for writing this. It was very informative. I have a question about two VCRs. First, The Mitsubishi MD-3000. I found it for sale for around $200, and looked at the description. It looks like it has many of the things you mentioned, but it is not on your list. You said not to assume it was ok, so I was hoping you could comment on the VCR. Here is the description from the seller's website:
Mitsubishi MD3000 S-VHS Medical Video Recorder

Over 400 Lines Resolution
Medical Grade
Digital Time Base Correction (TBC)
3-D Digital Noise Reduction
Digital Frame Memory
Jog/Shuttle
Large, Easy to Read LED Display
Recording system: Luminance signal- FM System, Color signal: low pass conversion
Video: NTSC, Standard color signal, 525 line, 60 fields
Power requirements: 120 V, 50/ 60 Hz, approx 15W
Dimensions: (W x D x H) 10.6 x 14.4 x 4.9
Weight: 14.3 lbs.
Tape Speed: 33.35 mm/sec.
Recording Time: 120 min.
RS-232C/USB Board R-3002

Secondly, I found at a local resale shop a JVC BR-S810U, which is a huge ancient looking VCR that used to be really expensive. I was wondering if this was a decent VCR. Here is a link to the JVC website's description: http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/f...l_id=MDL100677

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Jeremy Duncan

admin 12-20-2011 03:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremybrice (Post 18492)
Thank you very much for writing this. It was very informative.

Glad to hear the site's been helpful to you. :thumb:

Quote:

I have a question about two VCRs. First, The Mitsubishi MD-3000. I found it for sale for around $200, and looked at the description. It looks like it has many of the things you mentioned, but it is not on your list. You said not to assume it was ok, so I was hoping you could comment on the VCR. Here is the description from the seller's website:
Mitsubishi MD3000 S-VHS Medical Video Recorder
Over 400 Lines Resolution
Medical Grade
Digital Time Base Correction (TBC)
3-D Digital Noise Reduction
Digital Frame Memory
Jog/Shuttle
Large, Easy to Read LED Display
Recording system: Luminance signal- FM System, Color signal: low pass conversion
Video: NTSC, Standard color signal, 525 line, 60 fields
Power requirements: 120 V, 50/ 60 Hz, approx 15W
Dimensions: (W x D x H) 10.6 x 14.4 x 4.9
Weight: 14.3 lbs.
Tape Speed: 33.35 mm/sec.
Recording Time: 120 min.
RS-232C/USB Board R-3002
You do NOT want this VCR. This is just a rebadge of either the Sony or Panasonic S-VHS VCR "medical" VCR. These are actually "VTRs" (video tape recorders; not necessarily the same as a VCR, as a VCR has consumer connotations to it), made for recordings and editing in specific conditions. These "medical" versions are not really any different, functionally speaking, from the studio VTRs. The entire "medical" aspect was mostly just a marketing gimmick to sell them to hospitals at a higher price than normal VTRs, and has (as far as I know) long been abandoned as a tactic.

The biggest issues with these VTRs is:

-- SP only, from VTR only. They generally only recorded and play SP mode tapes made on the VTRs. This means they're lousy for playing consumer tapes, even when recorded in SP mode. This includes not just tapes made in home cameras (camcorders) and VCRs, but commercially released "store bought" tapes, too.

-- Abused by non-videographers. The main reason some VCRs are in good condition is because of who used them and how. Video professionals generally know how to treat the hardware. We're not rough with the wire inputs/outputs, we examine tapes before placing them in the transport, we perform routine cleanings and maintenance. Hamfisted nurses and doctors have (ab)used these VCRs, and conditions tend to be pitiful.

-- DISGUSTING ENVIRONMENTS! Maybe it's just me being a germaphobe, but I don't want to be anywhere near hospital leftovers. VCRs tend to absorb particles from their environment. For example, if John Q. Chainsmoker owned the VCR, it would smell like an ashtray (and the insides would be covered with tar goo). Who knows what sort of nasty hospital airborne yuck is on the guts of this VCR. Eeww... No thank you.

Quote:

Secondly, I found at a local resale shop a JVC BR-S810U, which is a huge ancient looking VCR that used to be really expensive. I was wondering if this was a decent VCR. Here is a link to the JVC website's description: http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/f...l_id=MDL100677
This VCR lacks any of the features that make the known good JVC S-VHS VCRs "good". I would avoid this one, too.

There's a reason some of these are available for sale -- nobody else wants them either. ;)

jeremybrice 12-20-2011 11:56 AM

Thank you!

Thank you so much. Hugely helpful. I am going to buy a Panasonic AG 1980. I found one for $200. I would ideally like to also purchase a good JVC VCR, but haven't been able to find one.

gilou8 03-06-2012 01:24 PM

Hello
i know this forum is first for american people; but as it is very interesting, of course other people like european people read it. And because of that an important information is missing.

That concern JVC VCR with TBC/NR, these one that are very good to digitalise old vhs/svhs tape
- TBC/NR work with ntsc standard for ntsc vcr (usually with "U" model)
- TBC/NR work with pal standard for pal vcr (usually with "EK" or "EU" or "MS" model)

BUT TBC/NR DON'T WORK with secam/mesecam standard even if TBC/NR is present in the vcr model (usually with "EU" or "MS" model); i find this information in reading user manual of JVC.

Also some precision with letter model :
"U" is for USA and for the most recent one we can find "U(C)" the "C" for canada; standard is NTSC; cinch connection
"EK" is for English Kingdom; standard is PAL I (for england) (also perhaps PAL B/G D/K but really not not sure); scart connection
"EU" is for a part of european country; standard is PAL B/G D/K and SECAM B (recorded in MESECAM for the secam); scart connection
"E" is like "EU" for some model without NICAM stereo receiver
"EH" is like "EU" with NICAM stereo receiver
"Ex" is also like "EU" for the last model
"MS" is for france; standard is PAL B/G and SECAM L (recorded in SECAM L for the secam L); scart connection
"EF" is like "MS" for the last model
"AM" is quite universal vcr; standard is NTSC, PAL, SECAM B (except SECAM L, PAL M/N); cinch connection
"KR" is for korean model; standard is NTSC; cinch connection

That all for the moment; if i find more precision for other letter, i give it

Regards

admin 03-08-2012 02:49 AM

Thanks very much for your additions, gilou8. :)

And actually, I'd never consider this site to only be for Americans. Although it's written in English, our readership is worldwide. It is heavy with North American and European users, but that's to be expected since English is so dominant in those locales. In fact, the server is in Europe, not North America! Video doesn't really have a national bias -- just PAL and NTSC, and formerly SECAM. Regardless of what flag is flown on our lands, video is video. Same for photography, web hosting, print/web design, etc. We try to collect as much information as is possible, to help anybody in need.

VideoTechMan 03-12-2012 02:58 PM

Hi everyone, recently new to this site (thanks to LordSmurf!) and have a question.

I know most of the SVHS decks in this thread are JVC, but I have the Sony SLV-R1000 SVHS deck (which ran me about $1K back in the day!) that does very well with all of my tapes as I care for all of my equipment. With that said..

Would this model VCR do a decent job for transfers? I personally don't see why it shouldn't as I have a ton of VHS tapes to transfer over time. I am more into quality than rushing so I don't mind taking whatever time it takes to get the job done. I know that I will need to get an external TBC to add with the chain, thinking of the Datavideo TBC if its still available. I have the Panasonic AGDV-2000 editing deck that I can use for the A/D conversion to the PC since the Panny has the Firewire jack.

I won't be transferring these to DVD as to me its not much point in doing that anymore. I want to archive some of the material and the ones I will watch on a regular basis I can put on my media server.

So with the current SVHS deck I have will it do the job, or should I look into finding an additional deck for backup? Unfortunately the JVC pro units are harder to find since they aren't made anymore, and buying used, especially pro gear can be a hit or miss depending if the seller is honest with the deck's condition.

Thanks for any help!

Sir galahad 03-24-2012 09:49 AM

I'd love to know peoples opinion of the Panasonic NV-HS900 compared to the other models in the range such as the NV-HS950 and NV-HS1000 as I'm considering buying one of these.

Acden 03-27-2012 05:00 PM

Quote:

JVC S-VHS (PAL) - PAL prosumer VCRs, same features as NTSC machines listed above.
JVC SR-S388E / SR-388EK
JVC HR-S7600EK
JVC HR-S7800EK
JVC HR-S7955EK
JVC HR-S7965EK
JVC HR-S8955EK
JVC HR-S8965EK
Why there are no Eu version of 9600? Is it really better to buy these? Or 9600Eu just not in the list?

volksjager 03-27-2012 07:32 PM

there is -
scroll down to post 18 - link: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post17383

Tasuke 03-28-2012 01:03 PM

i don't know if this is common to all JVC and MITSUBISHI VCRs, but, after pulling my Mitsu HS-U70 S-VHS out of moth balls for a little exercise, and attempted to play one of the many S-VHS recordings i have made on my JVC HR-S8000U on it, i have found that my U70 DOES NOT like my 8000U's recordings one little bit.

i tried and tried, but simply could not get the U70 to track them correctly for even a second.

i already know all about incompatibility issues between VCRs and all that good stuff, i just never have encountered it first hand before, at least, never a case even remotely this severe before...

Acden 03-28-2012 02:37 PM

I see. I mean why it is not in recommended list.
Quote:

There are a few select models in the 500 ranges, like NTSC HR-S9500U, which contained all of the desired features (including the line TBC), but the same was not true of the PAL edition.
What, for example, Pal version does not have?

Jarvis 03-29-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acden (Post 20079)
I see. I mean why it is not in recommended list.

What, for example, Pal version does not have?

This caught my attention too. The PAL HR-S9500E actually looks identical to its U counterpart and has the same features, namely TBC and Dynamic Drum. Here is a gallery of that model: http://www.vcr-shop.nl/frame.php?catId=32012

As for other PAL models in the 9000 series, the 9400E also appears no different from the NTSC model, however the 9600EU and 9700EU are at least cosmetically different to the 9600U/9800U/9900U. Both are certainly high-end, with all the bells and whistles, and their design is unlike any other I've seen. I don't know all the differences feature-wise, but the 9600EU does lack some recording features of the 9600U, which are instead found on the 9700EU; apart from that, and very minor cosmetic changes, the 9700EU appears to be the same machine as its predecessor. Finally, the 9850EU resembles neither the 9800U or 9900U; being the last of the PAL 9000s, it's identical to the 9911U which is also the last of its series. Unlike the 4mb TBC found on the NTSC 9000 models, all PAL versions are limited to 2mb - although they probably don't need more anyway.

I know this post isn't particularly useful, I'm not able to compare parts but wanted to add some of what I do know about the PAL versions, since there's less info on them to be found, especially on how they match up to the NTSC models. I suppose that apart from TBC and Dynamic Drum, differing features are negligible, and in general Digipure JVCs are supposed to all be similar machines until the D-VHS line-up. I currently own a HR-S7600EU, and will be receiving a mint condition HR-S9600EU shortly, so I'm curious how the two will compare. If I'm to judge the PAL machines by their NTSC counterparts, the 9600U is apparently a well-built and well-performing machine, and its PAL equivalent looks to be the same so hopefully it'll justify the purchase. I believe out of the "classic" pre-mini dv/hd/d-vhs line-up, the 9600/9700 EU models would be the best pick; compared to older models they should have more refined TBC/PQ, and I've read that the 9911U (9850EU) and the last of the classics like HR-S7965EK/HR-S8965EK (2003) are of inferior build. But then there's more risk buying older VCRs.

Anyway, I'm a long-time reader but first time poster, so I'd like to say hello and thank you for your wonderful site :)