Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-03-2012, 09:11 AM
Free Member

Hi there! My 1st post on this forum

Very nice guide, for users using PAL or NTSC video tapes. Issue is that here, in France, we used SECAM-L. Having a quick look at user's manual of JVC HR-S9600EU, I found that this excellent device is not able to process SECAM-L signals ...

Any ideas or device in sight, preferably JVC models?

Thanks!
08-11-2012, 07:35 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Adding this to the conversation...

Panasonic NV-HS 880 comes without TBC -- has only DNR.
Panasonic PAL models with TBC, from oldest to the last model:
  1. Panasonic NV-FS 200
  2. Panasonic NV-HS 950
  3. Panasonic NV-HS 1000
  4. Panasonic NV-HS 860
  5. Panasonic NV-HS 930
  6. Panasonic NV-HS 960
  7. Panasonic NV-SV 121
I've had some spare time and been tracking some of these PAL units. NV-HS900, NV-HS950 and NV-HS1000 share the UPPER DRUM and should have similar PQ. I've got one NV HS950 in the mail so I can report more on that later. Work is still in progress regarding "inbetween" models like 930 and 960, whether or not they have the "good stuff" inside. My main interest is the drum because HS1000's are often in bad shape and it's extremely difficult to find as new (and expensive). I was going to write a story how I got a broken VXP1747 from globalmediapro, but never got around to do it. If anyone wants new HS1000 drum with one broken head, contact me.

BTW more NV-HS1000 rebadges = Loewe OC-3800, Metz 9877

Panasonic AG-4700(EY/BY) seems also interesting. Italian site linked earlier in this thread claimed it's the same unit as HS1000 but this cannot be the case (or maybe google translator borked). They have completely different drum and HS1000 is physically a lot smaller, they look similar if you look from the front (size difference I got from youtube so it's not verified, drum info is from service manuals). AG-4700 shares it's drum with NVHS800B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acden View Post
Just operating differences, not image quality/filters?
Sorry to answer this question so late (about JVC HM-DR1000EU compared to 9000/etc series). It's been a while since I used anything besides DR1000, as far as I can remember DR1000 had a bit stronger filters. If this is good or bad for PQ depends on your perspective. Most of the casual readers of this site propably want JVC with ready baked video. If you want optimal source for doing everything in post with Avisynth or such, it's not so good. I could compare HR-S9600 and DR1000 and post samples if someone really finds that important.

HM-DR1000EU rebadge = Philips VR20D(unverified).

Here's a link to a small test I made for a client, between DR1000 and HS1000 (UTVideoCodec). Maybe someone finds this interesting. Don't even remember why I made TBC-Off version. Devil is in the details. The client chose HS1000. URL is not future proof. edit: and both are AFTER quality temporal denoise filter, these are not straight from the VCR. The tape was quite noisy. JVC version might also have some sharpening applied to it in the denoising script so "real life" results look smoother.

edit2: I just remembered why there was a TBC-Off version. All my Panasonics cut illegal black video levels when TBC is on. If the tape has (in digital terms) <16 black, TBC will truncate everything below that to 16~. This is not a very common problem with client tapes thankfully. JVC on the other hand will preserve <16 black even with TBC on. In this case after inspection there really wasn't any worthwhile data in the <16 area anyway.
The following users thank juhok for this useful post: lordsmurf (08-12-2012)
08-12-2012, 07:51 PM
Free Member

New findings. Panasonic NV-HS860 and NV-HS960 = Z-mechanism and UPPER CYLINDER part number is VXP2050. They're totally different units than 900/950.

NV-HS930 seems to be an elusive unit in terms of information.
The following users thank juhok for this useful post: lordsmurf (08-12-2012)
08-12-2012, 08:13 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
While I'm not replying to your posts -- I have nothing to add -- know that I'm reading.

And your additions and research findings are appreciated by myself, and surely others who are reading it as it comes out -- as well as those who may stumble across it in the future. If you're able to document the internals of the units (photos, more service manuals, etc), go ahead and add them into a new thread(s) here in new Video Hardware Repair sub-forum. All of the repair topics were moved there last month, to unclutter several existing sub-forums (restoration, capturing, playback).

Thanks for helping to further develop this list into maturity.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-13-2012, 10:50 AM
Free Member

Thanks. Your FAQs and posts have in time been contributing factor for my interest in this profession. Sharing info and talking about this stuff keeps my curiosity going and helps developing better tools to battle those old tapes.

At the moment I'm downloading 50 CDs of Panasonic Service Manuals from here: http://www.texnic.ru/shems/panasonic/panasonic-sm.htm

Seems unlikely that I have ever the time to post everything for every model, but if someone's looking for SM or pictures of some of the units or wants to cooperate in some other way - please ask.
08-13-2012, 10:05 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by juhok View Post
At the moment I'm downloading 50 CDs of Panasonic Service Manuals -- Seems unlikely that I have ever the time to post everything for every model
Once you've succeeded in downloading the entire collection, let me know the total amount of space required. We have plenty of server space available, and I'd be interested in storing these on one of our CDNs. I could give you server access to upload everything via FTP.

Let me know.

// Side Rant: I totally despise the counter-based "free" downloading that relies on random third-party services. Files could disappear at any moment, for any reason -- and quite often do. One of our goals in recent years has been to archive things that may go lost, due to free web hosting, or crappy "file sharing" sites (most of which are tainted with warez and malware).

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
08-16-2012, 06:24 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juhok View Post
I've got one NV HS950 in the mail so I can report more on that later.
Well this one got damaged in transit and it goes all batsh*t when inserting tape. So no HS-950 tests from me. Maybe I could take some pictures later. Drum was VXP1747 as expected and it fitted and revived one HS-1000 nicely. At the same time finally the difference between VXP1747 and VXP1561 became obvious (both fit HS-1000). It's impossible mechanically to fit VXP1561 to HS-950.
08-18-2012, 11:22 AM
Free Member

Panasonic NV-HS950 pics. Forum software downsized them to a point of artifacts appearing. Hi-res versions available on request if needed (making rars of every file is too much trouble, sorry).

DSC_6188.jpg

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

DSC_6189.jpg

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

DSC_6190.jpg

Last edited by juhok; 08-18-2012 at 11:33 AM.
08-20-2012, 05:48 PM
Free Member

I have a JVC HR-S2902U. I know isn't on the hot-list and lacks many features. However, before I trash it, I thought I'd get some opinions. It was working fine until I periodically got the 'please insert cleaning tape' or whatever it said. The cleaning tape worked several times until.....it didn't work anymore. I tried to clean it manually but I'm not confident I did it correctly. It didn't help at all.

So, is it worth having cleaned professionally, or are there any DIY guides? What would you recommend? I want an S-VHS to transfer with. Thanks a lot guys.
08-20-2012, 06:49 PM
Free Member

cleaning tapes SUCK - they just smear the dirt around
NEVER use cotton swabs
use a chamois stick with 91% alcohol
just remove the philips screws and pop of the cover
dampen the chamois with alcohol and lightly touch it to the drum
then turn the drum with your finger
NEVER move the chamois in an up/down motion.
just hold the chamois steady and keep turning the drum until clean.

the HR-S2902 is not ideal for transfer.
it is better than a normal VHS, but not by much

for around $150 you can score a good JVC with TBC
there is an HR-S7500U on ebay right now with a $125 buy-it-now
The following users thank volksjager for this useful post: lordsmurf (09-14-2012)
09-14-2012, 11:15 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by volksjager View Post
use a chamois stick with 91% alcohol
- DSLR "sensor swabs" also work well here.
- 70% or better purity is what you need, and that includes denatured alcohol

Quote:
the HR-S2902 is not ideal for transfer. it is better than a normal VHS, but not by much. for around $150 you can score a good JVC with TBC
Worth repeating, seeing how this is a VCR suggestions advice thread.

09-15-2012, 10:10 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieMay View Post
I have a JVC HR-S2902U. I know isn't on the hot-list and lacks many features. However, before I trash it, I thought I'd get some opinions.
if you really like the VCR, why trash it?
after all, i myself cling to my much adored workhorse '88 JVC HR-S8000U S-VHS, despite all very informed opinion around here...

Catch the Spirit of a True ΩPIONEER
09-16-2012, 08:49 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasuke View Post
if you really like the VCR, why trash it?
Because, like I said, I tried to clean it, without success. It don't work no more.
I did by a HR-S7800 recently on Ebay. I'll see if it works tomorrow.
11-06-2012, 01:28 PM
Free Member

Hi. I'm italian and no speak english very well. What does it mean that you are getting this information?
Quote:
New findings. Panasonic NV-HS860 and NV-HS960 = Z-mechanism and UPPER CYLINDER part number is VXP2050. They're totally different units than 900/950. NV-HS930 seems to be an elusive unit in terms of information.
I found the 960 for sale .. It 'a good device?

11-06-2012, 01:39 PM
Site Staff | Video

Yes, the Panasonic NV-HS960 S-VHS VCR is a good device.

11-06-2012, 01:42 PM
Free Member

I have no experience with HS-960 or Z-mech. It seems to be more consumer than prosumer oriented. Pretty much every recommended Panasonic deck here is either G2 or K-mech.

Here's a homecinemachoice review of NV-HS960B in MHTML format (pretty much any modern browser will open it). Take with a grain of salt:

www.homecinemachoice.com PANASONIC NV-HS960B.mht.zip

11-06-2012, 04:35 PM
Free Member

Between the HS-960 and HS-860, what's the difference? I still do not understand what the Z-mech ... is better than mechanical k?
11-06-2012, 09:03 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springsteen85 View Post
Between the HS-960 and HS-860, what's the difference?
Dunno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springsteen85 View Post
I still do not understand what the Z-mech ... is better than mechanical k?
Z-mech was introduced for the cheaper consumer models. K-mech is a bit older, better built prosumer line, it's even used in some "pro" decks like AG-4700. Panasonic HS is their higher end segment, and I think most other HS decks use K-mech. HS-960 with it's cheaper Z-mech is a bit strange bird.

But for your personal use the mechanical chassis might not make a much difference if you're just getting one deck for casual transfers. The condition of the VCR is more important than the used *mech. Like I said, personally I haven't used HS-960 but picture quality should be ok from what I've read on reviews and doom9/videohelp.

Sorry about the jargon, can't help it.

Z-mech: http://www.leifline.com/reptips/imag...ekanik_Top.JPG
K-mech: http://www.leifline.com/reptips/imag...nism%20Top.JPG

Source:http://www.leifline.com/reptips/Vide...onic_Video.htm
11-09-2012, 01:12 PM
Free Member

find yourself a well cared for JVC HR-S7000U, S8000U or HR-D630U, and you've struck gold, Mechanism-wise.
all use the same assembly, one of the most reliable and solidly built to be found in any VCR.
Plastic content is positively minimal, too...
11-09-2012, 03:59 PM
Free Member

Really? Seems like I'm always having more problems with JVC transport and it's more difficult to fix and find spare parts for. Maybe I'm unlucky.