Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-19-2013, 05:12 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Member-X View Post
So there's no step up from Dr-10000?
For example I like HS1000 better for most work. But compared to 8xxx or 9xxx series DR-10000 is nicer.
07-19-2013, 08:15 AM
Free Member

Does any of those filter image noise? I have a few old tapes that have a lot of image noise.
And a lot of very worn tapes, so it would be great to have one that's perfect for old worn vhs tapes.

I'm thinkin about spending 1000 € or more if needed.
07-19-2013, 09:49 AM
Free Member

You can read about VCR abilities from the FAQ and other threads. tl;dr JVC has denoise capabilities that can't be turned off, Panasonic has weaker denoiser and it can be turned off.

I prefer Panasonic because I do the post processing manually. For most people without deep knowhow about DIY denoising methods JVC is good enough.
07-19-2013, 10:00 AM
Free Member

not sure about the PAL deck, but for NTSC the reverse is true -
the Panny AG-1980 DNR is always on and cant be turned off and the JVC decks can
07-19-2013, 02:00 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juhok View Post
You can read about VCR abilities from the FAQ and other threads. tl;dr JVC has denoise capabilities that can't be turned off, Panasonic has weaker denoiser and it can be turned off.

I prefer Panasonic because I do the post processing manually. For most people without deep knowhow about DIY denoising methods JVC is good enough.
That's just it, it's so hard difficult to decide which one would suit me best, there's so many great models. Sorry, I keep pestering you guys.

Say, would a vcr with a component output make any difference?
07-19-2013, 02:16 PM
Free Member

no it wont
VHS tapes are not recorded in Component form
S-Video is best
07-24-2013, 06:42 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volksjager View Post
no it wont
VHS tapes are not recorded in Component form
S-Video is best
I've decided to get a Panasonic NV-FS200 which is (as far as I've understood) the same as Panasonic AG-1980.
I've heard so many good comments about the AG models.

So any difference if I connect the vcr with a S-video cable or a Scart cable?
07-24-2013, 07:15 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Use s-video. S-video is "separated video", which keeps the luma and chroma on separate channels. This is how VHS is stored, and the main reason it looks the best. There's no changes internally to the signal.

SCART is really no different from RGB, VGA or component. It's more complicated, of course, but this is the simple answer. It's both not needed and not desired.

When capturing any consumer analog format -- VHS, S-VHS, Betamax, Hi8, Video8, etc -- always use s-video.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Member-X (07-24-2013)
07-24-2013, 07:48 AM
Premium Member

The SCART jacks on PAL VCRs generally only carry composite video and stereo audio. The original SCART standard never had provisions for S-Video and it was later added by borrowing pins from other assigned connections like RGB. In order to support it, the VCR would have needed a toggle switch to change the SCART output between composite and S-Video since the "Y" signal shares the pin normally used for composite video pin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCART
The following users thank NJRoadfan for this useful post: Member-X (07-24-2013)
07-26-2013, 07:56 AM
Free Member

Is there any signifcant difference between Panasonic NV-FS 200 and Panasonic NV-HS 1000?
I was quite impressed with the 200 when I saw this video.

Then another one says "If you like the oversharpened picture of FS-200 I think there's nothing "better". "

I'm getting dizzy..

Just curious about what you guys think. I already bought the FS-200 as a "comapanion" to be next to my JVC HR-DR10000. I only want the best for my old and dear tapes.
07-26-2013, 08:55 AM
Free Member

Hehe, that quote was from me. That sample has been captured by using the higher end of sharpness scale in FS-200. It's a matter of taste what you call it, for archiving I wouldn't overshoot as much even if it can look good with very good source material. That said I prefer HS-1000 over FS-200 with most tapes. Sometimes FS-200 does better job with certain problem recordings. And sometimes JVC and so on and so on. I might be able to make samples with FS-200 and HS-1000 later if I get motivated enough.

edit: Some HS-1000 screens which alone without context don't mean much so take with a grain of salt: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...55#post1625155
The following users thank juhok for this useful post: Member-X (07-26-2013)
08-12-2013, 05:55 PM
Free Member

JVC HM-DT100U and Marantz MV-8300 should be added to the D-VHS list
11-23-2013, 02:54 PM
Free Member

It's actually a shame digital VHS didn't establish itself, the same could be said for HDV, or HiDef on MiniDV format. I took to using Digital8 from Sony after I bought a used camcorder upgrade, and I still use MiniDisc and as mentioned, kept records, LaserDisc and other older formats, Beta for example. The initial idea was to cover any software I desired, but I am a gadget freak by nature, so the more ability and feature, the more aesthetically pleasing the design, the more I'm intrigued to own one, and no doubt, if you keep up with YouTube, there are plenty of likeminded hoarders of old gear in Cyberspace! I'd like to try exploiting D-VHS in the modern era. I use Digital8 Sony to fill the gab between digital and analog, it's amazingly versatile!

BTW, let me know if bumping this is objectionable, I'm new here, but old in age!
07-10-2014, 08:02 AM
Free Member

Not much info on the Panasonic PAL machines so as I have them all I will add my thoughts. They are completely different to the NTSC decks so please remember that. I have used the front page list and added dates and my comments.

Blaupunkt RTV-950 / Panasonic NV-FS 200

1992 machine. Very reliable with good TBC. Soft-sharp slider does sharpen at centre position. Very stable output with TBC and machine is well built and very heavy. G deck mechanism. Faults are few but pinch roller will need replacing as it causes tape skew when worn or tired. Low noise and an all round great machine. Good hard heads last well.

Blaupunkt RTV-965 / Panasonic NV-HS 1000

1994/early 1995 and uses the K mech (with the weak point of the tape load drive collar which is easily fixed when the deck is removed). TBC and soft-sharp slider. Has 'AI' (artificial intelligence) which is supposed to make a difference but mainly for recording. Picture quality is better than the FS200 but not by much. Does not mask minor dropout so well (shows as grey streaks) but on good tapes is one of the best. Still well built but not as heavy as HS 200. Does not like TDK PRO S-VHS tapes as the head WILL clog (even when both are new).

NV-HS800

As HS1000 exactly but without some edit features and no TBC. Same picture and head clogging with TDK tapes.

Metz S-VHS VC62 / Panasonic NV-HS 950

1998 machine, based on the K deck again. Similar look to the HS1000 but not a full drop down door. First model with 3DNR (temporal noise reduction). Very good picture quality with TBC and NR independently switchable. Heads don't clog with TDK tape. No picture settings AT ALL but default is fine. Has CVC (crystal view control) permanently enabled which monitors the head wear and the signal from the tape. Better than CVC from 1996 (first year of that feature) when it was just a 'grain boost' (fake sharpness). A good machine but heads no longer available so make sure when buying that they are good (they are not as hard as the FS200 ones).

Panasonic NV-HS 860

Z deck, 2000 introduction. Nice machine for restoration with TBC and NR independently switchable but not robust like the older decks. As HS 960 but without some edit features and no manual record level. When HiFi audio drops out there is a moment of muting before linear sound is heard which is common across all later Panasonic VCR's. Three position sharpness (SOFT-AUTO-SHARP). The effect of this varies with the state of the heads (thanks to the CVC) so try all three settings. AUTO or SOFT is usually best. Usually overpriced on the used market. Weak spot is the loading arm drive (same for all Z deck) but parts can still be got at the moment.

Panasonic NV-HS 930

Z deck, 2003 introduction. Fair machine for restoration with TBC and NR independently switchable but not robust like the older decks. Exactly as HS830 but with some edit features and manual record level. When HiFi audio drops out there is a moment of muting before linear sound is heard which is common across all later Panasonic VCR's. Three position sharpness (SOFT-AUTO-SHARP). Not such a good picture as the HS830/930 due to crushed contrast and video ringing. In fact not quite as good as the basic 630 VHS only model of the range for most well recorded vanilla VHS material. SOFT is the best setting but not perfect as the slightly crushed contrast is still there masking deep shadow detail. We are over the peak now and quality is not there. Power supply is on the same board as the video section so corners obviously being cut.

Panasonic NV-HS 960

Z deck, 2000 introduction. Nice machine for restoration with TBC and NR independently switchable but not robust like the older decks. When HiFi audio drops out there is a moment of muting before linear sound is heard which is common across all later Panasonic VCR's. Three position sharpness (SOFT-AUTO-SHARP). The effect of this varies with the state of the heads (thanks to the CVC) so try all three settings. AUTO or SOFT is usually best. Too much sharpening applied in auto when heads are new condition (looks punchy for direct viewing I suppose).

Panasonic NV-SV 121

We are in 2005 and the end for S-VHS. As HS830 so Z deck, no TBC or 3DNR. Crushed contrast (why was this popular). Not really one to seek out but its S-VHS so better than nothing.

Couple of extras for you.

Panasonic NV-F70

1988 plain VHS model, First G deck range but excellent HiFi tracking on older HiFi tapes and also the picture is very clean and clear.

AG5260

1994, compact studio machine (non S-VHS) but has LP and SP, excellent picture quality on home recorded tapes (two position switch on the rear applies picture processing or no). Open and not crushed contrast. Not much to look at but I have had comments asking how I got VHS to look so good when I use it. Same head as HD600 model but hardened with beefed up drive parts.

Few last comments. As precaution change pinch roller on G deck models (a worn roller pushes the tape off the guide post by the ACE head). Heads are not available for quite a few models so check for a good picture with no undue noise or dropouts.

If pressed I would say that the best ultimate quality came from the HS1000 - the picture is so detailed that it really does show extra that other machines lose. The AG5260 is as good as the HS1000 on VHS if TBC is not needed (and a bit better if dropouts are a problem). The HS950 with its 3DNR and TBC is really nice too and so is the one I would chose if pushed to take on all tapes. The 3DNR along with good heads and circuitry really does make tapes look good.

Hope this helps and please do ask any questions!
The following users thank Quasipal for this useful post: videonut (11-26-2014), volksjager (07-10-2014)
07-10-2014, 08:19 AM
Free Member

excellent write up - thank you for posting
i have a Panny NV-SB900 here - NTSC Z-mech deck only available in Japan
i believe is is very similar internally to the 860/960 PAL decks
TBC and 3DNR can be switched on/off independently
it is one of the best decks ive ever used.
07-10-2014, 08:52 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volksjager View Post
excellent write up - thank you for posting
i have a Panny NV-SB900 here - NTSC Z-mech deck only available in Japan
i believe is is very similar internally to the 860/960 PAL decks
TBC and 3DNR can be switched on/off independently
it is one of the best decks ive ever used.
You're more than welcome.

Japan did get some special stuff for the home market. I have a Japanese only Maxell S-VHS tape and it's head and shoulders above the JVC and Fuji ones that were being sold in the UK.
10-24-2014, 10:15 AM
Free Member

This thread has been really helpful in sorting out which players to look for. Much appreciated.

I'm specifically looking to buy a deck which will support French Secam-L tapes, and was wondering if anyone could clarify whether the following models support this format?

Aiwa MX100
Panasonic AG-W1

The Panasonic appears to but I can't find any sources that say for sure, and cannot find the manual anywhere online.

I've seen conflicting information about the Aiwa. The manual states the VCR is not usable in France, but seems to be because the TV tuner is not compatible but may still play Secam-L tapes.

Any help in clarifying this would be greatly appreciated! Or additional player recommendations would be welcome as well. I know both the Panasonic AG-W3 & Samsung SVW-7000W would do the job.
01-05-2015, 11:34 AM
Free Member

I just grabbed a "Used-Like New" condition JVC HR-S9600U from amazon. It was $500.
From what I've read here and several other sites it sounds like the HR-S9600U was the absolute best of the JVCs and they lost some build quality in the 9800/9900/9911. I could have had a 9911 from ebay for $350 but i was less certain of the condition and with the durability/quality of the unit potentially being less than the 9600 I thought this was a smarter decision. Am I an idiot?

Once i finish capturing my tapes digitally, is there any reason to hang on to this? Or should i try to sell it?

Are there any settings I should make myself familiar with that could help me get the most out of my home videos on the 9600?

Last edited by rew729; 01-05-2015 at 11:35 AM. Reason: corrected model
01-05-2015, 01:47 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Not entirely. The 9600, 9800 and 9900 were all about the same. The 9800 and especially 9900 had a much more limited production run. The 9600 was around for most of the late 90s.

The 9911 was indeed lower quality. Not "bad" but not as perfect as these 3.

If you're 100% positive that you'll never need it again, then yes, sell it. Save yourself the eBay fees and use the marketplace forum here.

Read through this: Video Hardware Suggestions; Best VCRs to Convert Tape to Digital

No, not an idiot.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-06-2015, 01:44 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Not entirely. The 9600, 9800 and 9900 were all about the same. The 9800 and especially 9900 had a much more limited production run. The 9600 was around for most of the late 90s.

The 9911 was indeed lower quality. Not "bad" but not as perfect as these 3.

If you're 100% positive that you'll never need it again, then yes, sell it. Save yourself the eBay fees and use the marketplace forum here.

Read through this: Video Hardware Suggestions; Best VCRs to Convert Tape to Digital

No, not an idiot.
Thanks for your feedback.
How can i test that my VCR is performing optimally before I begin transferring? are there any Benchmarks you suggest?
If I need a head cleaning where should I get a cleaner from, I'm scared to buy used but that seems like the only way to get a hold of the recommended 3M/Scotch head cleaners.

Last edited by rew729; 01-06-2015 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Changed question