Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-22-2020, 04:54 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik92 View Post
I have an option to buy either JVC HR-S7700EU or Panasonic NV-HS1000.
Which one would be a better buy?
Can't decide as both of them are quite good from what I know.
Panasonic NV-HS1000 offer is a bit more expensive though.
Does it worth extra over JVC HR-S7700EU?
It depends on your source tapes. But the general rule is JVC 1st, Panasonic 2nd. If you can only have one deck, get the JVC. If you can get both, then get both, as the decks will behave differently. Usually tapes act best with the JVC, but sometimes JVCs reject some tapes (therefore Panasonic better, for those tapes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose carlosv View Post
Hello i am thinking to buy a complement to my jvc hm-dr10000eu pal model.
This vcr works fine but id like to have another one to complement this one.
What i looking for, obviusly, best picture and sound quality possible for my vhs and s-vhs tapes.
I know the panasonic nv-hs1000 is a good choice and is very appreciate for the people,there are a lot of units to sell in ebay,
All JVC is nicely complemented by a Panasonic deck. But JVC D-VHS can be completed by a JVC S-VHS, with the HR-S being more different than the SR models. So the 9700 would be a complement.

Quote:
but i was reading in the forum that the jvc hr-s9700 is better than panasonic.
A JVC being better than a Panasonic is, again, the general rule. But as a complement, the Panasonic would get my vote more than another JVC. But again, it really depends on source tapes (retail, homemade, recording modes, etc).

Quote:
As i said i am looking the best picture and sound quality possible, i dont know if those vcr (both the panasonic and the jvc) are better or worst than my jvc d-vhs deck but hope you can help me to choose the correct one.
JVC and Panasonic S-VHS are generally better than the D-VHS. (But that's also not saying the D-VHS is bad. Better doesn't make not-better = bad.)

Quote:
Obviusly i cant buy both because i have no phisical space to have so many decks, I have a Beta Hifi Sanyo vtc-m40 and Superbeta Sony Sl-Hf950 plus the d-vhs jvc (all decks are PAL MODE)and as i say i have no physical space to buy both the panasonic and the jvc.
Yep, decks do take up space. Build a custom rack. A good rack can hold at least 4-6 decks, plus other gear like TBCs. I have 3, with 2 in use, 1 in storage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1RIUS View Post
I'm sad I ordered a second hand HR-S7955MS I dont see TBC in the menu Is there any reasons ?
That makes me sad, too.

That's a deck I've not seen, don't know much about. When in this thread (post#) was that exact model mentioned? This needs to be noted.

Quote:
Ehm, according to the service manuel its only included in the EU/EK version.
Interesting.
The 7711 has a MESECAM mode, though I have no way to test it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1RIUS View Post
Service Manual :
Attachment 12561
Thanks for that added info.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
10-23-2020, 01:43 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post

That makes me sad, too.

That's a deck I've not seen, don't know much about. When in this thread (post#) was that exact model mentioned? This needs to be noted.
I saw it there : http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/1567-vcr-buying-guide-2.html#post17383

But there is absolutely no problem, it was the only decent available in second hand market in France.
10-25-2020, 01:26 AM
Free Member

Quote:

A JVC being better than a Panasonic is, again, the general rule. But as a complement, the Panasonic would get my vote more than another JVC. But again, it really depends on source tapes (retail, homemade, recording modes, etc).

It's a LordSmurf rule.

Here in Europe, especially in Germany, the two most popular video recorders for digitizing are the JVC HR-S 9600 and the Panasonic FS200. Many users prefer the Panasonic recorder.
Some prefer the JVC others the Panasonic. It depends on your videotape.

The only rule there is that there is no rule.
Each player plays the tape differently. Therefore, if you want to digitize a large number of video cassettes, you should have a Panasonic, JVC and maybe any different brand at home and choose the player that works best with your video tape.
On the European market you have a large selection of different devices, even if you look beyond national borders.
The following users thank Bogilein for this useful post: archivarious (03-05-2021), lordsmurf (10-25-2020)
10-25-2020, 11:45 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogilein View Post
It's a LordSmurf rule.
Some prefer the JVC others the Panasonic. It depends on your videotape.
Yep. All rules have exceptions.

Quote:
the Panasonic FS200. Many users prefer the Panasonic recorder.
I still want one of these.

But if it ever develops caps issues, I'm pretty screwed, nobody wants to recap PAL decks. And I'm not really equipped to solder anything anymore. I'm more likely to make a mess.

Quote:
Therefore, if you want to digitize a large number of video cassettes, you should have a Panasonic, JVC and maybe any different brand
Yep.

Also, certain JVC and Panasonics have differing properties, so you can actually have 2x JVC or 2x Panasonic, different models with the brand, as each reacts different to the tape. If you can afford all those decks, it helps ensure a smooth transfer projects. But my advice is when you can only pick one unit. Usually (not always) the JVC is the best deck overall, for the project. But it's always best to discuss a project here in the forum, before buying, get a 2nd opinion for the project planning.

Quote:
On the European market you have a large selection of different devices, even if you look beyond national borders.
I don't know about that. Some countries are dead zones for good players. Most of the good gear comes out of UK, Germany, and (these days) Netherlands.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-04-2020, 01:05 AM
Free Member

I'm looking to get an S-VHS deck to digitize both SP and EP/SLP VHS tapes. I've done some searching of this thread and forum. Would a JVC S-VHS deck with Dynamic Drum (8000/9000 IIRC) be better for EP/SLP? I've seen a lot of people have praise for the Panasonic AG1980, which looks like a good model overall, but I was wondering if a JVC would be worth it for EP/SLP.
12-04-2020, 07:53 PM
Free Member

For EP/SLP tapes, I would recommend an AG-1980, it has DNR circuitry that is able to sharpen the picture and provide a great output. They can often suffer issues from age and build quality though, so they may need service Here are a couple of pictures from my never serviced(as far as I know) AG-1980 using a non-hifi tape in EP mode for demonstration. I captured these using my Dazzle DVC-100 capture card.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg arnold1.jpg (121.8 KB, 39 downloads)
File Type: jpg arnold2.jpg (66.6 KB, 26 downloads)
File Type: jpg arnold4.jpg (70.6 KB, 21 downloads)
File Type: jpg arnold3.jpg (73.5 KB, 24 downloads)
12-08-2020, 07:21 AM
Free Member

Hi All, I have the following setup...

Panasonic DMR-EZ48V (using component (RGB) output into Blackmagic device)
Blackmagic Shuttle Intensity USB3.0
Capture with Blackmagic Media Express (makes about 200-300GB file)
Import into Premiere Pro > edit and encode to MP4 (15-20GB file)

I was just checking if my setup looks ok to you guys. I have done a few tapes and they seem ok but want the best quality as only going to be doing them once. I have 100's of tapes to get through. Is it worth buying a VHS player with TBC? Such as the Panasonic NV-HS930 or a JVC?

I noticed the ones with TBC dont have component output but scart, is there any benefit of me using my existing Panasonic with component output or would the TBC ones with scart be better?

Thanks
12-10-2020, 11:46 AM
Free Member

Is Metz 9877 equivalent to Panasonic NV-HS1000?
12-10-2020, 12:12 PM
Free Member

Ended up going on a bit of a deep dive..

The 9877 should be the equivialent to the NV-HS1000, while the 9876 seems to be equivalent to the NV-HS800 (which is the same as the NV-HS1000 but without the TBC.)

Metz VC62 seems to be the NV-HS950, which is a slightly newer model with some digital circuitry using similar ICs to the NTSC AG1980P (but with a bunch of differences otherwise.) while the 64VA14 seems to match the similar looking but less featured NV-HS900.

Metz VE61 looks like NV-HS850.

Metz VF61 looks like the NV-HS860.

Metz VG61 looks like NV-HS825 though small pictures so I'm not sure..

Metz 9874 seems to be equiv to the NV-FS88 (FS200 sans TBC).

Metz 9875 seems to match the (I think older) NV-FS100.

Their normal VHS models seem to be a mix of panasonic and others, the VE44 looks a bit lik the NV-HD645, but others look like something completely different.

Last edited by hodgey; 12-10-2020 at 12:41 PM.
03-10-2021, 04:46 AM
Free Member

If I remember correctly, this post(http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post15015) received a reply on this thread explaining in more detail the differences between "these" VCRs than just by "saying" that "one version is newer than the other", but I cannot find this answer directly(by searching this thread) nor through a general internet search engine.
From what I remember, there was probably an explanation(among others ?) for which markets(countries, regions), which versions are intended ...
I might be wrong... ? [I know there is this type of data(in this thread probably) for JVC VCRs].
03-10-2021, 10:09 AM
Free Member

I have no stabillization issues with my DMR-ES35V component (YUV btw) with the Intensity Shuttle, works fine without TBC, your DMR-EZ48V not ?
Through component you get more detail, because of that fine noise patterns will "come to light" some people prefer the more washed out picture you get from composite and s-video, the prores codec works fine for VHS and will also prevent dropped frames due to slow media transfer during capture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjster View Post
Hi All, I have the following setup...

Panasonic DMR-EZ48V (using component (RGB) output into Blackmagic device)
Blackmagic Shuttle Intensity USB3.0
Capture with Blackmagic Media Express (makes about 200-300GB file)
Import into Premiere Pro > edit and encode to MP4 (15-20GB file)

I was just checking if my setup looks ok to you guys. I have done a few tapes and they seem ok but want the best quality as only going to be doing them once. I have 100's of tapes to get through. Is it worth buying a VHS player with TBC? Such as the Panasonic NV-HS930 or a JVC?

I noticed the ones with TBC dont have component output but scart, is there any benefit of me using my existing Panasonic with component output or would the TBC ones with scart be better?

Thanks
03-14-2021, 11:05 AM
Free Member

I am looking to buy JVC HR-S7700EU, but it is not listed in the recommended ones.

Is it not good? Has anybody used this for digitizing and can provide feedback?

Thank you in advance.
03-20-2021, 01:38 PM
Free Member

Quote:
You need to understand that eBay is gambling, not buying. Sellers on eBay are rarely video-savvy. When most folks see a picture -- any picture, of any quality -- they deem it to be "working". Of course, that's ridiculous. Same goes for "tested". The person sticks in a ratty old SP mode retail VHS tape, sees anything on screen, and it passes their worthless idea of a test. VCRshop.nl is buying, eBay is gambling.
Would a "used" (non refurb) deck from vcrshop.nl be OK? They've got a used Panasonic 950 for 300 Euro but the cheapest refurb TBC deck is a JVC SR-S388E for 500 Euro.

Do you know anything about https://www.positron-e.com/? They advertise a refurb Panasonic FS200 for 370 Euro: https://www.positron-e.com/panasonic-nv-fs200-svhs-videorecorder
04-26-2021, 07:28 AM
Free Member

Hello,

As I recently found my old Radeon X800 GT AGP AIW (yes, a rather rare card) in one of my drawers, I starting building a rig for a S-VHS digitizing project.
In my search for a decent VCR I stumbled over a PANASONIC NV-HS870 for sale.
This specific model is not mentioned in your recommended VCR list, but I did find a (bad quality) pdf manual file (attached below) and it specifically mentions a 3D DNR button to turn that function on/off (page 20).
So does it contain a line TBC and would it be recommended?

Thank you in advance for your feedback!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Panansonic NV-HS870.pdf (1.73 MB, 5 downloads)
04-26-2021, 10:23 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorbin View Post
Hello,

As I recently found my old Radeon X800 GT AGP AIW (yes, a rather rare card) in one of my drawers, I starting building a rig for a S-VHS digitizing project.
In my search for a decent VCR I stumbled over a PANASONIC NV-HS870 for sale.
This specific model is not mentioned in your recommended VCR list, but I did find a (bad quality) pdf manual file (attached below) and it specifically mentions a 3D DNR button to turn that function on/off (page 20).
So does it contain a line TBC and would it be recommended?

Thank you in advance for your feedback!
I'm pretty sure the 870 doesn't have TBC, it would be mentioned in the manual if it was.

As far as I've been able to find out none of the Panasonic 8nn models have TBC except the NV-HS860 has and all the 9nn ones have TBC except the NV-HS900.
04-26-2021, 12:22 PM
Free Member

Yeah I have a 870, it does not have a TBC, the digital chip it has only has 3D DNR, the NV-HS930 is the higher-end version where they used different digital chip that did TBC too.

Second that from andkyn.
From what I know of these newer SVHS PAL models:
NV-HS900 has no TBC, and some overlap with the older NV-HS800 and NV-HS1000, all K mech.
NV-HS950 looks superficialy similar to the 900 but has digital processing and TBC.

NV-HS850 swapped to Z mech and has digital process, but no TBC

NV-HS860 has digital process and TBC (think it's newer than the 850),
NV-HS960 is similar to the 860 but with some extra features.

NV-HS820 basic model with no TBC or DNR
NV-HS825 no TBC/DNR
NV-HS870 similar to 825 but with DNR
NV-HS930 similar to 825/870 but with TBC/DNR instead of just DNR.

NV-HS830 no TBC/DNR
NV-HS880 similar to 830 but with DNR

NV-SV120 DNR only - I think they swapped to the R4 mech at this point, similar to what the panasonic combo decks use but not entirely sure. They also seem to be more shared between the SVHS and normal VHS decks here than the earlier models, as they share the same user manual.
NV-SV121 DNR and TBC

I don't know if there were equivialents of these released in the US, tho there are a number of Japanese ones that look very similar.

-- merged --

Also, discovered an interesting thing about my JVC HR-S8500EH. The TBC/DNR worked on NTSC playback (it is not active on MESECAM.) Not sure if this is the case for later ones, tho at least the manuals doesn't say it's not active on NTSC. As far as I know this is not the case on the older panasonics (FS200, HS1000 HS950) but may be on the newer ones.
04-27-2021, 01:32 PM
Free Member

To complete the useful information hodgey and quasipal have provided on PAL Panasonic VCRs, here is an overview of Panasonic SVHS VCRs (and their equivalents from other manufacturers) as released in Germany from 1988 to 2004.

1988: Panasonic NV-FS1 (Blaupunkt RTV-910)
1989: Panasonic NV-FS100 (Blaupunkt RTV-920)
1990: Panasonic NV-FS90 (Blaupunkt RTV-915, Metz 9875)
1991: Panasonic NV-8000 (Blaupunkt RTV-1000) first ones with TBC incl. HI8
1992: Panasonic NV-FS88 (Blaupunkt RTV-925, Metz 9874)
1992: Panasonic NV-FS200 (Blaupunkt RTV-950) with TBC
1994: Panasonic NV-HS800 (Metz 9876)
1994: Panasonic NV-HS1000 (Panasonic AG 4700, Blaupunkt RTV-965, Blaupunkt RTV-966, Metz 9877, Loewe OC3800) all with TBC
1996: Panasonic NV-HS900 (Blaupunkt RTV-926, Metz 64VA14)
1997: Panasonic NV-HS950 (Metz VC62) with TBC
1999: Panasonic NV-HS850 (Metz VE61)
2001: Panasonic NV-HS860 (Metz VF61) with TBC
2001: Panasonic NV-HS960 with TBC
2001: Panasonic NV-HS820
2002: Panasonic NV-HS825
2001/2002: Panasonic NV-HS870
2002: Panasonic NV-HS880
2002: Panasonic NV-HS930 with TBC
2002: Panasonic NV-HS830
2003: Panasonic NV-SV120 EGS
2004: Panasonic NV-SV121 EGS with TBC

maybe some additional information:
the models until 1992 could be used without remote control. From the Panasonic HS1000 onwards, you need a remote control (for the 1000 for the tracking setting).
The Blaupunkt and Metz units are equivalent to the Panasonic units. Blaupunkt was a well-known brand, especially for its car radios. Some Blaupunkt sets were available earlier than the Panasonic sets.
Metz was a well-known brand for good quality and expensive equipment that could be bought mainly at the local small electronic shops.
The following users thank Bogilein for this useful post: lordsmurf (07-31-2021), Quasipal (04-27-2021)
04-27-2021, 01:52 PM
Free Member

Bogilein, that's an amazing list and I can confirm it's right. Really helps to clarify the range.

Just to add, the 860, 930, 950 and 960 also had frame store noise reduction. Like JVC Digipure.
06-11-2021, 09:43 PM
Free Member

Hi there, has anyone used any of the following models and can confirm that they have all the important features for capturing(picture mode and audio filters and TBC):
-JVC HR-S7700EU
-JVC HR-S7950EU
-JVC HR-S8850EU
-JVC HR-S8960EU
I'm asking this as I'm looking for a quality deck, which only seems to be available from vcrshop.nl, but they only have the above models available(apart from S7500/S8500 and below which I think is highly not recommended?), nothing from the recommended list(avoiding S9xxx series as I really don't wanna gamble on the Dynamic Drum failing, and from what I read on this forum the SR-S388 isn't the best, not a true 'pro' model like the rest of the recommended list)

Last edited by haoyangw; 06-11-2021 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Removed JVC S8850EU, has DD
09-09-2021, 05:18 PM
Free Member

Hi everyone,

I've read that Sharp VCRs have excellent tracking. Any suggestions/recommendations of PAL models?

regards