Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-23-2009, 03:48 PM
Premium Member

Ok, basically i got my JVC SR-V10U in the mail, and im playing around with the various filtering settings to get the best picture.

It has Digital R3 Enhancement, as well as Video stabilizing, as well as TBC/DNR (soft/norm/edit/sharp)

What options are the best for which situations. Ive noticed that the sharp setting creates so many more artifacts, and is the worst setting ever! I typically use soft, because it seems to blend things in more and removes a bit of noise, although i don't think there's that much of a loss of detail.

I had been reading that turning off R3 creates a better picture, is that true? wouldnt it be useful to keep R3 if i use the soft setting, to sort of negate some detial loss? and sharpen the edges that would be blurred by the soft setting?

lordsmurf, what settings do you use, which are on / off and why?? , im trying to figure out the best possible setup for the tapes.

So far, everything is off. And i use tbc/dnr @ soft.

thankyou~
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-23-2009, 04:00 PM
Premium Member

also: Do i even need to use TBC/DNR all the time? sometimes it looks worse. Or sometimes if i turn it on, it has like tearing on the top of the video, and slants to on side. or jitters a bit.
12-24-2009, 09:17 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Remember to refer to the guide at http://www.digitalFAQ.com/guides/vid...k-hardware.htm

SHARP is a worthless setting 99% of the time -- it just makes the video look noisy. Only when you have a severely soft/blurry VHS tape does this really help.

NORM / AUTO is the best setting. It removes most true noise without removing detail.
QUICK NOTE: It does need to be mentioned, however, that the psychovisual human nature sometimes confuses noise with "detail", so you'll find people complaining about JVC VCRs being "soft" sometimes. In almost all cases, they do this in comparison to another crappier VCR, which integrates noise OR artificially sharpens the image. Even some of the best VCRs do this, such as the Panasonic AG-1980P -- by default it is artificially sharpening the image at its "0" slider setting.

I almost never use Digital R3, personally. I don't think it works as well as true image sharpness enhancers, detailers or resolution boosters. In my observations, sometimes the R3 just adds noise on the edge instead of actually doing much sharpening. It has helped, however, on some tapes. Let your eyes be the best judge.

SOFT image setting is best used for animation or severely grainy tapes. There is resolution/detail loss on this filter, although it's observable effects (again, most psychovisual stuff!) can vary from tape to tape and person to person. Again, let your eyes be the best judge, although keep in mind that this setting should be used sparingly. Unless you're converting a massive archive of cartoons and/or grainy tapes, that is!

Leave TBC+DNR on as much as possible. It removes the much-hated (at least by me!) chroma noise, that ugly red/blue misty looking noise on screen. Only when the TBC causes jitter should it be left off.

The video stabilizer often causes just as many problems as it fixed. Only use when necessary. It does not work at the same time as the TBC+DNR, so you have to choose. If the TBC caused shaking, note that you don't necessarily need the stabilizer. The mere act of disabling the TBC tends to correct it. On tapes like that, I switch to a Panasonic AG-1980P. That happens more on the 9000 series machines than the SR-V10. (In all fairness to JVC, however, that may be an issue with my specific 9800 decks, and not all 9600's and 9800's.)

For the audio settings, keep it HiFi unless you hear buzzing/fluttering noise in the audio. Switching to the mono linear track often helps. You lose some fidelity and clarity, but you also lose the obnoxious audio noise.

... and I think that answered everything?

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
The following users thank admin for this useful post: msgohan (01-21-2020)
12-24-2009, 09:58 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
If the TBC caused shaking, note that you don't necessarily need the stabilizer. The mere act of disabling the TBC tends to correct it. On tapes like that, I switch to a Panasonic AG-1980P. That happens more on the 9000 series machines than the SR-V10. (In all fairness to JVC, however, that may be an issue with my specific 9800 decks, and not all 9600's and 9800's.)
My experiences come from PAL land but I think the situation is more or less equal. All JVC decks I've used experience this behavior. These include atleast one S9500, three S9600(one new), 7965 and a DR10000. All serviced and calibrated regulary. Turning TBC off reduces jitter unequally, some decks work great some don't. I don't mention models because this seem to have moro to do with the aligment and age of the mechanics.

My 2c. Happy xmas to all
12-24-2009, 05:02 PM
Premium Member

Wow, thankyou guys so much!!
I have fiddled around with the settings and have come to the same conclusion as well!!
I initially started with soft filter + r3 + calibration + tbc/dnr. but that setting removes so much detail! and with 5 minute length tapes of a music video, that is the last thing that i want.
Now, basically, im using AUTO filter, with tbc+dnr for most tapes, and if its a grainy tape, i use soft filter with R3 on to compensate for the slightly smoother picture! Using R3 on fast motion music video's creates hell for the image. Adding artifacts almost everywhere!

I tried using EDIT for the video filter, but i think whats the point? i bought this model for the filtering, so i might as well use it, and 99% of the time, it will improve video quality.

Thanks again for the help, i'm finally transferring my tapes at the best quality possible. Its taken months. But its all good now!!

have a great xmas guys!