06-29-2005, 06:41 PM
Free Member

all,

what's the better path for me : to buy a standalone TBC like a Datavideo-1000 or to buy a VCR with built in TBC like a DR-MV1?

(perhaps the devices i mention are not the best in their price/performance range - please feel free to advise me)

basically i have about 20 old movies that i would like to convert to dvd. rather than getting a "professional" to do it for me at £15-£50 a pop, i'd like to tinker with hardware/software settings and generally mess around with the boys toys as i'm a sad ol' "bar steward"!

the movies are on basic VHS cassettes. most roll/jitter in places but then slip back to a decent signal before relapsing again.

okay, over to the pros ...
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-29-2005, 07:51 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Well, there is a lot of confusion here.

The Datavideo TBC-1000 is a full-frame standalone TBC. They are not meant to clean an image. They are there simply to purify the signal. This may not have any visual improvements. It might remove some mild jitter or other image motion. But for the most part, it is there so that your recording device (DVD recorder, capture card) does not choke on a bad signal.

The JVC DR-MV1 DVD recorder/VCR combo unit does not have a TBC. It is misinformation started by an accident on some Japanese JVC pamphlets, and reprinted by too many that did no research. It has varying filters inside, but no TBC.

If you want to clean up an image, a JVC S-VHS VCR, preferably a high-end one with the built-in TBC/DNR, is what you want. In UK, you'll have to find used units, as JVC Germany quit making them last year. The final model was the JVC HR-S8965EK and the HR-S7965EK (I have one of these).

What you describe may easily be corrected by the stabilizer on a JVC S-VHS unit (even low end ones) and it'll somewhat clean up the image. If you have a JVC DVD recorder, that may help clean up image even more.

Budget is always good to know.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
06-29-2005, 08:10 PM
Free Member

ah LS, once more to the rescue. you've pin pointed my needs exactly. and you're right, the datavideo-1000 was to be used to clarify the signal then feed into my capture card on the pc.

ta for correcting me about the JVC DR-MV1. picked it up purely by accident on a web page.

talking of JVCs, here are a couple of pages about the very models you mention:
http://www.toptelevisions.co.uk/shop.../dept_432.html
http://www.toptelevisions.co.uk/shop.../dept_434.html

which model would you recommend?

on a wider note, can i really get better results via vcr->tbc->pc then use software to clean up (i know this will take a loooong time!), or simply clean up/steady signal on the JVC and then cut to dvd?

again, ta in advance for all your past, present & future help. you're on in 10 billion(ish)!
06-29-2005, 09:33 PM
Site Staff | Video

The 8965 has more RAM in the TBC, and may or may not be built a little better, but the 7965 will work fine. Again, I have the 7965 (yes, the PAL unit, I have voltage converters and run mine into a PAL->NTSC box).

Yes, the more work that is done in analog, from analog sources, the better it is. Once you go digital, your options to filter/improve are SEVERELY limited. Hardware tools are what you want, including TBC, good VCR, and then if you have the money, proc amps and detailers.

06-29-2005, 10:03 PM
Free Member

okay lordy smurfy, i'm gonna flush more dosh down the pan thanks to you. HRS7965EK it is.

i do agree with you that the more you work on the source, the better the end result will be. just didn't spend enough time thinking about this before asking.

by the way, is it really 5 or 6 in the morning over there? do you actually sleep? you a vampire or something?
06-29-2005, 10:14 PM
Site Staff | Video

Vampire. Markatisu is too.