Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-13-2011, 02:10 PM
Free Member

Hello,

I have been reading this site for the past 2 hours trying to gather info related to the title of this thread. I am a bit overwhelmed and awed by the knowledge and expertise here. It is a bit over my head.

In another life I was wanting to be a film director and I have VHS tapes of various projects I either never completed or would like to re-edit. I am wondering if there is a device I can install in a new video PC workstation I would like to build for this purpose that I can plug an s-video cable and R&L audio cables straight into my PC from a VCR and have the signal processed in such a way that the video is perhaps enhanced from its original quality.

I hope the masters of tech will take pity on a guy that has not too much computer savvy. I have read the post recommending the VirtualDub and HuffYUV dl's and I will attempt to use those once I build my video PC (tho I must admit to being completely confused when reading that post on the VirtualDub program) so my question is; which internal video capture/enhancer card is best to install in my new video PC workstation to get the best possible transfers from my VHS originals? Also, should I buy a new VCR to use in these transfers? My current VCR is a Panasonic DMR-ES35V, which brings up another question; should I use that VHS to DVD transfer unit to transfer my VHS to DVD and then rip the subsequent DVDs into my new video PC workstation? I'm guessing that an internal video capture/enhancer card installed in my new PC will be better. I hope LS or another expert can steer my computer dumb ass in the right direction... thanx in advance

LP
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-14-2011, 02:22 PM
Free Member

is there no such device???
01-14-2011, 02:30 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Need more time to write a reply for you. See When Will My Question Be Answered?
Yes, there are some devices. Certain ATI All In Wonder cards, using ATI MMC + VideoSoap, for example.
Better VCRs will be needed, too.

Will get back to you over the weekend.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
The following users thank admin for this useful post: LPEREZ (01-17-2011)
01-16-2011, 01:59 AM
Free Member

thank you, I look forward to your reply
01-20-2011, 02:24 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Need more time to write a reply for you. See When Will My Question Be Answered?
Yes, there are some devices. Certain ATI All In Wonder cards, using ATI MMC + VideoSoap, for example.

Hello, Is this the unit you are recommending?
ATI All In Wonder cards, using ATI MMC + VideoSoap
01-20-2011, 03:03 AM
Free Member

Quote:

Would it be helpful to let you know the type of computer I'm building for video editing? I'll need to get the VHS tapes transferred into this PC with the highest "affordable" quality:

ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with
Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - $564.99 (combo price, saves $45)
Western Digital 1TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - $89.99
(2 - RAID 0) HITACHI Deskstar 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - $109.98 ($54.99 each)
LG Black 10X Blu-ray Burner - $79.99
LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer w/ LightScribe Support - $21.99
Rosewill PCI Wireless N Adapter - $29.99
ASUS Nvidia GeForce GTS 450 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - $129.99
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W SLI Ready 80 PLUS Certified Core i7 Power Supply - $109.99
Logitech MK550 Black USB RF Wireless Ergonomic Wave Keyboard and Laser Mouse Combo - $64.99
Kingston HyperX 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory - $157.98 ($78.99 per set of 3)
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit - $99.99
01-20-2011, 04:09 PM
Free Member

I have to confess that this is a machine that was recommended to me for video editing, I did not come up with this configuration myself. I realize that I will have a long learning process ahead of me to fully understand the workings of this machine since I am not very tech savvy
01-20-2011, 04:53 PM

The best capture card is more often better asked as "what's the best capture card I can use in my computer" and then give the specs as you've done.

Many of the "best" cards are now somewhat dated, because they use AGP or PCI slots, and often required Windows XP or specific versions of Mac OS X.

As times has gone on, and there's been this ugly shift away from "capture cards" to the more modern "PVR cards", we're really left with fewer and fewer good new-in-store (or "works with Vista/Win7") type video cards.

ATI All In Wonder cards, using ATI MMC + VideoSoap, are excellent high quality cars -- but you have to have a motherboard with an AGP slot, and you must be using Windows XP (x86 32-bit standard version, not XP 64).

Quote:
ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with
Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - $564.99 (combo price, saves $45)
Western Digital 1TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - $89.99
(2 - RAID 0) HITACHI Deskstar 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - $109.98 ($54.99 each)
LG Black 10X Blu-ray Burner - $79.99
LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer w/ LightScribe Support - $21.99
Rosewill PCI Wireless N Adapter - $29.99
ASUS Nvidia GeForce GTS 450 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - $129.99
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W SLI Ready 80 PLUS Certified Core i7 Power Supply - $109.99
Logitech MK550 Black USB RF Wireless Ergonomic Wave Keyboard and Laser Mouse Combo - $64.99
Kingston HyperX 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory - $157.98 ($78.99 per set of 3)
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit - $99.99
This computer sounds great for the actual editing, encoding, and possibly authoring of your DVDs -- it's better than anything currently in use here -- but it's going to be a major weakness for capturing.

Quick side note: DO NOT USE RAID "zero" (0), as it's an unstable/unsafe use of disks. It's not even a "RAID" as the "R" stands for "redundant" and there is NO redundancy in RAID-0. In fact, when it comes to video use, RAID-0 is actually a hindrance in many cases, slowing down the computer. RAID-0 drives fail very quickly, and standard SATA is plenty fast already. IDE was already fast enough. I have NEVER seen a RAID-0 array last more than a year or two before failing, often with the person losing everything on the disks. You can still use a RAID controller, just run the drives as non-RAID.

Back on topic...

Are you planning to create DVDs or Blu-ray media from the VHS tapes? Or is there some other use involved? The original assumption was that you'd make DVDs, but given the system specs, I now want to verify. There's some possible benefit from creating SD H.264 video to BD-R specs vs using MPEG-2 for DVD-Video specs.

Then again, that doesn't matter much to the capture process, only latter editing, encoding and authoring work.

The ATI TV Wonder HD 600 USB PC TV Tuner is probably your best bet.
There's some good deals on "used but like-new" models at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.ht...reative=390957
That's what I'd buy. The current best price is about $44 shipped for one that claims to be opened and only used a few times, and comes with original packaging. If you have money to spend, and are a "new only" type person, you can buy a new one for about $87 shipped. I have nothing against used goods, refurbs, outlet models, etc.

It comes with ATI CMC software that works well for MPEG capturing. And then you can use VirtualDub for AVI capturing. Note that the capturing takes a dozen or so steps to set up, but there's going to be a guide here very soon anyway.

The following users thank admin for this useful post: Bulldog5757 (01-23-2011)
01-21-2011, 12:46 PM
Free Member

thank you so much for the detailed reply... but now I'm in trouble it seems since 've already recieved and installd the RAID 0 in the machine!!!

as far as what medium I am going to, it seems that BD would be a waste for my VHS projects since the original resolution of the VHS is not going to look any better on BD than it would on DVD... or am I wrong?
01-23-2011, 11:14 PM
Free Member

Quote:
The ATI TV Wonder HD 600 USB PC TV Tuner is probably your best bet.
There's some good deals on "used but like-new" models at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.ht...reative=390957
That's what I'd buy. The current best price is about $44 shipped for one that claims to be opened and only used a few times, and comes with original packaging. If you have money to spend, and are a "new only" type person, you can buy a new one for about $87 shipped. I have nothing against used goods, refurbs, outlet models, etc.

It comes with ATI CMC software that works well for MPEG capturing. And then you can use VirtualDub for AVI capturing. Note that the capturing takes a dozen or so steps to set up, but there's going to be a guide here very soon anyway.
Please do not take this the wrong way but I am trying to learn something here since I know nothing. Could anyone explain in layans terms what the difference between the ATI unit quoted above and this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-009-_-Product
unit is? Remember that I have already installed Sony Vegas 10 editing suite which has some video enhancing capabilities, so I'm wondering if the Sony editing software will be able to clean up the VHS or if I still should buy the ATI unit?
01-23-2011, 11:22 PM

ATI uses ATI software and is known to work with VirtualDub.
That's two ++ marks in the win column.

The device you link to is a generic.
It does not work with ATI software. That's a negative.
Unknown how well (if at all) it works with VirtualDub.

It's a gamble (brand X from Newegg) vs the known option (ATI)

It mostly comes down to the quality of the hardware, and software available.

01-24-2011, 12:26 AM
Free Member

thank you, I will get the ATI device you recommend

Virtualdub is a program I can dl here right? It is superior to all other programs for cleaning up the look of VHS I take it?
01-24-2011, 07:35 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

You'll find VirtualDub here: VirtualDub (with Filters Pre-loaded) for Restoring [DOWNLOAD]

There are five main pieces of software that you see discussed for various restoration tasks:
- VirtualDub 1.9.x
- Avisynth 2.5
- TMPGEnc Plus Encoder 2.5
- Adobe Premiere CS4/CS5 (and likely CS6+ when those come out someday)
- Avidemux 2.5

Each of them offers slightly different approaches and options for restoring video, and each one has it's strengths and weaknesses.

As far as capturing video goes, only VirtualDub works well. Technically Premiere can capture video, too, but it does so with miserable results (too many resources needed, and therefore causes dropped frames).

And then you can open your captured video in any of the above four restoration apps.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
01-24-2011, 07:40 PM
Free Member

great! did you also say I needed a better tape player?
01-24-2011, 10:26 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
That would be ideal, yes.
See my post here: VCR Buying Guide (S-VHS, D-VHS, Professional) for Capturing/Restoring video

That's what I'd suggest -- a better VCR.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs