Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-19-2011, 04:36 AM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

What enhancer (dettalier) to Pal?
I can not find Signvideo and Elite. Living in Europe

I have a Sony XV-C900 and Sima Scc-2
What could I try?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-19-2011, 09:13 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Well, the SignVideo DR-1000 does NOT work with PAL signals.
SignVideo has confirmed this.

Elite Video only made proc amps from what I know -- not detailers.

What is it, exactly, that you're wanting to do?
I know what a detailer (aka "SignVideo image enhancer") does, but sometimes people confuse its function and would be better off using another piece of hardware or software -- or sometimes nothing at all. Detailers can be ineffective, or simply add or enhance noise, depending on your source signal/format and its inherent quality.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
01-19-2011, 11:50 AM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

ok.
What proc-amp can be found?
I saw Kramer, a videotech. There are not many for Pal System.
Sony XV-C900 is good?
I have vhs Formula 1 recorded in EP
01-24-2011, 09:49 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Generally, we'll suggest SignVideo PA-100 proc amps, or Elite Video BVP-4 Plus proc amps, as these have been proven to give excellent results on VHS>DVD conversions.

The BVP4+ unit seems to vary a bit. I've had units that would work with both NTSC and PAL, and some that only worked with NTSC. The ones that only worked with NTSC had "NTSC" neon stickers inside the unit, which you could only see when it was opened up.

The topic of PAL vs NTSC proc amps has been discussed on the forum before. I forget all the details of those conversations, because it's not something that comes up very often. You'd do well to search for "PAL proc amp" with a site search, and then read through those conversations.

Search at http://www.digitalFAQ.com/search.htm

There's several threads that have discussed the Sony unit at
- http://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/show...rf-2-2061.html
- http://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/show...re-w-2437.html

That last thread includes this quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve(MS) View Post
Concerning the Sony 900, I did some more tests with it using S-video connections. It does reduce noise moderately from what I can tell however when using VCRs with TBC and picture controls, I don't see any advantage using the Sony, I would rather use the Studio 1 and BVP, the Sony is not even close due to the proc amp controls arn not as good as those. This Sony I have has been around the block more than a few times, it might be more interesting if it was in mint condition. Surprisingly, there are service manuals floating around that can be purchased for this model. Like all those old TBCs and broadcasting Proc amps, wear and tear and age is likely to be a factor on Sony's Color Correctors.
And then there's also this review, quoted from a longer VH thread that I had participated in some years ago. Here's that review:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Budwar View Post
The XV-C900 was sony top model of video corrector - they call it Video Multi Corrector. It cost just below $1000. It is not only corrector but it has also wipes and fades which I will not go to since that is today mostly irrelevant. It uses two joystick controllers for color compensation one for black and the other for white ballances together with regulated black and white clip. It has Hue and Color adjustment, Gamma Compensation and Chroma NR. Now the unit is not just some integrated circuit packed into a plastic box. It is large and quite heavy. Unlike older models, this works fully with S-Video. I would say from my experience the C900 is one of a hell processor. It may not be exactly for damaged tapes, rather for color correcting good footage. But it does the job very well. I have few digital correctors and equalizers such as Video Equalizer from Videonics and I would say the VE is almost never produces better output than input. On C900 with the black and white ballance you can really change the picture. You can for example warm the picture, but still have whites white. You can also spice up the images where you for example correct black toward blues and whites towards red etc. That's not all, there is black and white clip. This makes the whole range of manipulation even more interesting. Let's say you want correct the picture on lower midtones and so shift the black joystick to warmth. Of course, while the whites stay white, the dark black changes to redish cast. But you don't want that so turn the black clip level up. this will pull blacks back to pitch black and gradually change lower blacks toward warmth. Same with whites but from other side and since you have two joysticks for color you can separately control color from whites! This way you can really compensate the picture and make it warmer or cooler at will without actually introducing any ugly color cast to blacks and whites. Or simply make it more colorfull - warmth to land area and cool bright sky. The Color (Saturation) works also exeptionally well. A normally if you oversaturate the image degrades, colors start leaking etc. The C900 does not exhibit such effect in normal range. You can up saturation bit, pull blacks and whites and kick the mids to warmth. Then you can compensate Gamma if the camera over/underexposed. Your normally dull miniDV picture will get a look of a quite serious production. Switch split screen and the difference is just amazing. Other functions on C900 are less of importance. Things like wipes etc. A normal price for C900 today is between $100 to $150. I hope this will be useful.
That's a slightly long, somewhat rambling review -- but what I take away from it is that the unit is decently functional. How well it compares to the known-better Elite and SignVideo units is what's up for debate. If I had to place a wager, I would imagine the Sony would fall behind those other two units.

Hope that helps.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-25-2011, 01:29 AM
Free Member

I think Sony made 2 models of 900s, one for NTSC and one for Pal.
At least a picture of a pal model was what was showing on ebay when I got mine.
So I emailed him and he said that the unit was NTSC.
Since I don't I have pal tapes, I can't check to see if it will work with on them.
Best I remember, the pal version has it written in far right top corner.
I would suppose in Europe only a pal version would be available.
My opinion is based on my unit but have the feeling even if it were in perfect condition, I would still prefer the others.
The joysticks to me are an awkward way to adjust color so
I turned off those controls and used the gamma, hue and color
pots.
Still, if nothing else is available, it can help but don't pay too much for it.
I don't know about the Sima CC2 but have a Sima CC Pro.
Don't have a clue if the Simas will work on Pal.
Refer to my post in the link for my opinion between the Sima and Sony.
The following users thank Steve(MS) for this useful post: admin (01-25-2011)
02-01-2011, 07:50 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
Well, the SignVideo DR-1000 does NOT work with PAL signals.
SignVideo has confirmed this.

Elite Video only made proc amps from what I know -- not detailers.

What is it, exactly, that you're wanting to do?
I know what a detailer (aka "SignVideo image enhancer") does, but sometimes people confuse its function and would be better off using another piece of hardware or software -- or sometimes nothing at all. Detailers can be ineffective, or simply add or enhance noise, depending on your source signal/format and its inherent quality.
I have to disagree.
Why ?? - Simply because I do HAVE a SignVideo DR-1000 who definitely work with PAL signals. I live in Norway, and when I ordered mine from Signvideo they asked me if I want the NTSC version or the PAL version.

(Maybe it's a different story these days, but 3 years ago when I bought mine, they were selling both versions, for sure).

I am done with mine now, so when I got the time, I will use the marketplace here to announce mine for sale.

Thanks.
02-01-2011, 08:01 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Thanks for that, Northpole. It's good to get that kind of confirmation.

I've read about PAL versions, but I've also received confirmations (indirect and direct) that the DR-1000 only supports NTSC. To clear up the obvious disagreement between members on this page, I may call or write SignVideo and ask again for clarification either way. There are NTSC only units, as I have one. And then apparently there are PAL units.

Whether any new PAL units are sold directly from SignVideo? That's probably the only important issue.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!