02-05-2011, 08:55 AM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

Hi
I am new to this forum . I have a bunch of old VHS family tapes which are getting up there is age (maybe 15-20 years for some). I want to edit and burn to DVD so that I can preserve the memories. I have a couple of VCR's (none of which are professional).I have a JVC Hi-Fi HRA590U. Right now the best is probably my Hitachi Hi-Fi stereo UX625. I played some of the video and in many parts there is the fuzzy, distortion on the bottom which can be improved a little with the tracking. I was looking at purchasing the ADV 110 or maybe 300. I have a Sony Camcorder with a pass through.I don't know if buying the ADV is a better choice to get the best quality or to just use the camcorder via the pass through. My main objective is to get the video to my computer in DV format so that I can edit it and then burn to a DVD. In my search, I found that others have purchased/used a VCR with TBC. I am not going into the business of restoring tapes so to buy a professional VCR would most likely be out of my price range. I have found someone selling aToshiba S-VHS hifi Diomage SV771C. He could not tell me if it had a TBC as he didn't know. He says the VCR has been hardly used and is in good shape. When I went back and took a good look at his ad, I noticed it was a S-VCR. All of my tapes are just VCR..I know this is probably a stupid question, but is S-VCR and VCR compatible? I think not, but I thought I'd ask. Also I coulnd't find any specs on this VCR on line and if is no good for me, I don't want to bother the gentleman nor waste his time or mine if the VCR is not a good choice. Looking for feedback and suggestions. Thanks
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-12-2018, 06:28 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Old thread, yet still current topic.

A better S-VHS VCR is ideal, yes.

The Sony camera is probably no better or worse than the Canopus ADVC boxes, that is to say not ideal, due to 4:1:1 colorspace compression. DV was never meant for converting tape. Better AGP, PCI, USB capture cards can be gotten for half the cost. For now, go ahead and try the camera.

This was an unanswered question or unresolved issue found during a site audit. It's hard to have an FAQ when the answers are missing, or final outcomes are unknown. At The Digital FAQ support forum, questions are never intentionally ignored, and may have been missed due to a forum glitch or human error. More details on the audit. (In some cases, threads have been edited/updated with newer information.)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs