10-04-2011, 06:39 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mammo1789
Hi I would like to ask you about the tbc that you suggested to me in the Thread: Are free avysinth and vdub filters so superior for restoration or not. My neiborgh is selling one of this for around 35 euro's, which I can afford, will it be good addition to Panasonic fs200 and nv1000 as external tbc device/ frame synchronizer because as I told you, nowhere near my country I can get external tbc (most of my countrymen never heard of tbc) or is there any cheap reliable dvd recorder that you suggest that can do that job. I see on yellow pages also Panasonic dmr hs2 and some cheap lg dvd recorder ( I don't know the model) can all dvd recorders act as pass-through?

Thanks in front for your help
Glad to help.

Note that I can't answer all that immediately, but I'll get around to it next week.

On the TBC for sale, get me the brand and model number.
The word "TBC" is often misused, and there's no reason to buy crap. A $35 "TBC" is probably just junk. But check anyway.

Let's continue the conversation here, instead of via PMs/emails.
This is the easiest place for me to answer posts in any kind of timely way.

Thanks!

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-05-2011, 01:25 AM
Free Member

Thanks smurf sorry for the PM.

Quote:
On the TBC for sale, get me the brand and model number
No its DVD recorder Philips DVD-r70 pal version ( the other offer is Panasonic DMR HS2). The complaints about it on the net is about the recorder itself ( recording and playing some cds which it has difficulty playing) which is not of my concern because I want to use it as a pass trough in reference on the guides about capturing and use it as + in the chain between the vcr and the pc card. That's way I asked you does all dvd recorders have pass trough and some sort of frame synchronizers or not.
I noticed that on some tapes turning tbc on makes worse than without on and that my JVC 5800 plays better ( which doesn't have tbc )than my other 2 Panasonics. While reading your guides about the picture stabilization and signal stabilization will it be good for signal stabilization as I understand correctly the picture stabilization is done on the vcr. Also are the full frame tbcs in Panasonics the same as ( line tbc + outside tbc like 8710 for example or not)
Thanks
10-09-2011, 05:35 PM
Site Staff | Video

I would refer you back to this: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...time-base.html

Most DVD recorders lack what should be called a time base corrector (TBC). The term "TBC" is misused, so pretty muc anything that filters/corrects video gets away with being called a TBC now. Most of what I've seen in DVD recorders would not at all pass as a TBC. Many of them have easy-to-confuse frame synchronizers, which still don't do much for video quality or stability.

The Panasonic ES10 was an atypical unit with its ability to pass-through corrections, as it video was input directly into the chipset. The input did not bypass the chipset for machine output. This was later "corrected" on latter Panasonic models in the ES series.

None of the DVD recorders you've mention stand out as anything I know to have advantages for analog video capture.

10-19-2011, 07:35 PM
Free Member

Thanks Ls I really appreciated. Do you recommend Panasonic dmr es15 ( I tested the other day and in pass trough has noise reduction and probably some kind of tbc like es10). The guy can sell me for 50 euro's which is 25 euro's cheaper that I found Panasonic dmr es10 if you think they are similar should I take it as pass trough machine and for quick jobs
10-20-2011, 03:28 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammo1789 View Post
Thanks Ls I really appreciated.
Glad to help.

Quote:
Do you recommend Panasonic dmr es15 ( I tested the other day and in pass trough has noise reduction and probably some kind of tbc like es10). The guy can sell me for 50 euro's which is 25 euro's cheaper that I found Panasonic dmr es10 if you think they are similar should I take it as pass trough machine and for quick jobs
Yep. Get it.

10-20-2011, 06:28 AM
Free Member

Thanks LS I can't thank you enough, I listened to your advice and I bought the DVD recorder the dmr es15, what so more I got bonus for 5 euro's I got from the same guy the Panasonic dmr e55 he sad that there was error with the drive couldn't read or record DVDs ( but I run cleaning disk trough it and I upgraded the firmware and now it reads and writes DVDs ). Although I read on your replies on some posts that e55 has not got any tbc and is far worse than es series, I tried it and I think it is almost the same as dmr es15 in term of picture quality, and must have some tbc and there is also NR which I noticed on some tapes suppress a little chroma noise which is excellent for quick fixes and don't have to go to all the trouble trough pc slow noise reduction route.( Too bad I already both the es15 I could it safe some money . I have problem with 2 tapes that neither built in vcr full field tbc or dvd recorder line tbc could fix if you could be kind enough to look on this tread http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/3...-picture-worse ,because the tapes are very important family tapes for me and I don't have the knowledge to resolve them
10-25-2011, 04:40 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammo1789 View Post
Thanks LS I can't thank you enough, I listened to your advice and I bought the DVD recorder the dmr es15, what so more I got bonus for 5 euro's I got from the same guy the Panasonic dmr e55 he sad that there was error with the drive couldn't read or record DVDs ( but I run cleaning disk trough it and I upgraded the firmware and now it reads and writes DVDs ). Although I read on your replies on some posts that e55 has not got any tbc and is far worse than es series, I tried it and I think it is almost the same as dmr es15 in term of picture quality, and must have some tbc and there is also NR which I noticed on some tapes suppress a little chroma noise which is excellent for quick fixes and don't have to go to all the trouble trough pc slow noise reduction route.
The DMR-E55 doesn't do any NR. It's an infamous DVD recorder among the hobby TV community, because it creates blocky-quality DVDs on 2-hour and especially 4-hour modes. Then 1-hour mode has bitrate spikes that cause some DVD players to choke on discs made in this machine. It does not have passthrough, either.

I don't what you're observing, but what's being stated here simply is not possible on this specific unit.

Your VH thread shows a damaged tape. There's no way to filter something that severe. Just do what you can, understanding it will never be perfect.

- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
10-29-2011, 02:50 PM
Free Member

Thanks Ls
Quote:
he DMR-E55 doesn't do any NR. It's an infamous DVD recorder among the hobby TV community, because it creates blocky-quality DVDs on 2-hour and especially 4-hour modes. Then 1-hour mode has bitrate spikes that cause some DVD players to choke on discs made in this machine. It does not have pass through, either.
I read some bad things about them in term of self check loop that these machines get stuck with after inserting some dvd's that they don't recognize the solution is changing the IC stg6353 on the power board As i did suggested on some site (cost me 1,5 euros ) and now doesn't have that problem. regardless of NR

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e....DMR-E55K.T#ts
on this site is says that it has tbc and 3d noise reduction and in the menu i can select input nr the same as in es15

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...shot006nv.png/

Also when i pass trough trough AV2 (RGB input ) i get RGB input 21 scart it get pass trough trough AV1 svideo out or rgb out. Also when passing video composite in av3 i get svideo out from dvd recorder and i think tbc and 3d noise reduction as here shown on 8mm camera that doesn't have svideo out only composite

http://imageshack.us/f/525/screenshot007bb.png/

Quote:
Your VH thread shows a damaged tape. There's no way to filter something that severe. Just do what you can, understanding it will never be perfect.
I know that you are expert for restoration that's why I asked if you think is unrepairable than there is no hope for this tape and i cant get the original but that's life. I will record it as it is and wait for some better times in the future for some better restoration techniks

Thanks LS once again
11-03-2011, 10:02 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

There's no single definition on what a "TBC" is, so many video manufacturers can get away with claiming almost anything is a TBC. Panasonic is honestly one of the more egregious manufacturers, when it comes to this. We've long seem claims that the DVD recorders have TBCs, but performance tests don't corroborate the claims.

The NR filters are completely separate from the "passthrough" function of the ES10.

These are standard Panasonic NR filters, and they tend to do more damage than not.

- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.