Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-30-2014, 01:07 PM
Free Member

I was never able to get correctly-aligned SDI recordings to the SSD using the HyperDeck Shuttle 2 with this, but outputting HDMI from the HDS2 to my capture card did result in a correctly-cropped 720x480 image.

I found that VHS signals are spatially noise-reduced even over SDI output, blurring away small details.

Several tapes show a slight bend at the top of the image even with the TBC set to Extreme Head Switch mode. The DMR-ES15 doesn't have this issue with the same tapes.

In summary, I can't recommend the DPS-470AV.
The following users thank msgohan for this useful post: archivarious (03-09-2021), juhok (01-30-2014), kpmedia (01-31-2014)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-31-2014, 05:09 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Thanks for the tests. Maybe we should also have a "do not buy" part to our buying guides?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
04-18-2015, 06:32 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
How well does the comb filter work? How does the output look?
Same for the proc amp.
Did you get a license to unlock the NR filters?

The entire "DPS" series originated with Digital Processing Systems, and the DPS-220 was disappointing. And huge -- too huge.
Leitch bought out DPS.
Isn't Harris still operating the Leitch brand name? I thought so.

What are the physical dimensions of these TBCs? Still giant rack-mounts? (Bigger than VCRs.)
There is a opportunity on ebay for a DPS-475 (NTSC only) (before leitch) with NR features unlocked.
I asked the seller by curiosity to check. I read somewhere that before leitch bought DPS, all the unit have the NR unlocked, locked NR came with leitch.

Item number on ebay
04-19-2015, 11:56 PM
Site Staff | Video

"all the unit have the NR unlocked, locked NR came with leitch."

Interesting.

04-20-2015, 10:10 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
"all the unit have the NR unlocked, locked NR came with leitch."

Interesting.
I found the link where I read it, it seem to goes in the direction of the answer of ebay seller about NR...

http://www.smecc.org/dps_-_digital_p...ng_systems.htm
04-20-2015, 01:23 PM
Site Staff | Video

This looks to be a usegroup dump.

I've reposted it here...

Quote:
It would be interesting for someone to compile a "genealogy" of video and audio equipment manufacturers. As a former hardware dealer, we dealt with a number of mostly US manufacturers that are no longer in existence, and many were off-shoots from or combinations of other companies and individuals. It's been interesting (and sometimes sad) to watch the transitions take place. DPS was an excellent company to work with, and seemed to remain largely intact after being acquired by Leitch who was also very supportive of their customers. A similar situation with HEDCO (Hughes Electronic Devices Co.) which was also acquired by Leitch. And the same story with Videotek. Then, all were acquired by Harris.

There are many other "relationships" that evolved over the years and individuals that continued to innovate for generations and through multiple companies. Bill Hendershot is a prime example (pun intended) of someone who left his mark on the industry many times. There certainly were others, and remembering some of them makes me realize how long ago I started in this business!

Don Norwood
Digitrak Communications, Inc.
Quote:
DPS was "Digital Processing Systems". They went back to the 1970s at least.

I worked at WBBH where they had a DPS Frame Sync. When I got to the station in 1988, the DPS had already been replaced with a newer Harris unit, but they still called it DPS. I have a photo from 1979 of a pretty girl sitting next to the DPS.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10064764@N04/6013230509/

In the picture, the thing is not in a rack yet, so I think it may have been new at the time. I have used a nearly identical box with a different brand on it (CVS? Component Video Systems?)

I had folks at WBBH tell me stories of yanking cards out of the DPS frame to "create" effects.

So, DPS had been around for awhile before the Amiga and they jumped aboard the Video Toaster bandwagon.
They took advantage of an Amiga 200(0) feature. The 2000 had four ISA slots that were unconnected to the computer's bus, but had power. (Can explain why if interested) DPS built their cards to draw power from the motherboard, but had serial data connections back to the Amiga's serial port. With some cards, they had internal ribbon-cable interconnects to a Video Toaster for S-Video to Composite, etc. Very clever.

Scott Thomas

That photo was taken by one of my bosses at WBBH. He gave me two boxes of slides when I worked there and several years later (2005) I finally got around to scanning them all. I think I've posted links to them before, but I will again...
Quote:
DPS History before...

The On Aug 26, 2013, at 3:15 PM, Don Norwood wrote:

> When the 475/575 first came out, they were made by DPS (Digital Processing Systems). At that time, the noise reduction feature was standard. Then DPS was purchased by Leitch, and Leitch changed the feature to an option. And then Leitch was bought by Harris.

Video image processing pioneer John D. Lowry was a principal in Digital Video Systems, Inc., the company that originated the DPS line of TBCs.

Lowry's most recent company makes note of that on its website:

http://www.trioscopics.com/whoweare.html

"His prior work includes system design in 1971 for the system at Image Transform that was used to clean up and enhance the live television pictures from the moon during the Apollo 16 and Apollo 17 missions.

At Digital Video Systems in 1974, Lowry was one of the pioneers in digital video, doing system design of digital time base correctors; frame store TBC/synchronizers; test-signal generators; line-translation scrambling; and satellite scrambling and encryption."

The scrambling/encryption work resulted in patents assigned to Scientific Atlanta in the late 1980s.

Lowry and a colleague founded Lowry Digital Images in the LA area, which was bought by DTS, the digital film sound format company, and which was later sold to India-based Reliance, and is now branded unde r the Reliance banner.

Lowry passed away just before he and his colleague were nominated for an Academy award.

That's my Paul Harvey contribution for today.

Ted Langdell
Quote:
I am trying to figure out how to enable the noise reduction feature on my dps-575. -Shai

I can't answer your question about the code to enable Noise Reduction, but I can give you some historical background. When the 475/575 first came out, they were made by DPS (Digital Processing Systems). At that time, the noise reduction feature was standard. Then DPS was purchased by Leitch, and Leitch changed the feature to an option. And then Leitch was bought by Harris. Anyway, if you get one of the early units, you'll find that NR is fully operational without any code. The NR function works very well on these, and has the ability to adjust several parameters according to your needs. I do hope that someone has the answer, because I have both versions and could use the code for the newer units.

Don Norwood

06-26-2015, 03:28 PM
Free Member

Hi,

First of all I would like to thank you for this forum and its knowledge, reviews, stories, chit chat, etc.

Great place to be, to read and to spend countless hours of research.

My first steps into this realm are two questions regarding the LEITCH DPS-575AV.

#1 I sourced a unit in great working condition and for a good price but unfortunately this unit does NOT have the NR-575 option/feature enabled.
Does anyone have a clue where I can get the code for unlocking the option?

#2 Same question for the firmware. Does anyone know which number the last firmware version has?
Any idea where to get the FW?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers!
02-14-2016, 05:45 PM
Free Member

I have no idea where to get the firmware.
I have the same device and it would be nice to have the NR, but realistically NR has come along way since then and you will get far superior results using software NR esp some of the plugins for AVIsynth.
If you need NR with a GUI I would recommend Neat Video.
07-03-2018, 01:58 AM
Free Member

The DPS-475/575 Units have a plethora of features going for them including a custom designed 3D comb filter, Proc. Amp, Test Pattern Generator, and a wide array of in- and out-puts, including SDI. The AV model also has audio embedding with automatic delay to compensate for the digital section. The control panel is slick! They show up at very affordable prices on eBay.

My observations: The TBC is not bad, but slow to respond to head-switching, which means sometimes you get the dreaded "top curl." Most of the time, it isn't a problem, though. Of greater importance, the comb filter doesn't actually work in TBC mode, greatly reducing the resolution of the composite input. This is noticeable even on regular VHS. Therefore, I can't recommend it for stabilizing a composite signal. The S-Video input is fine, however.

Also, don't worry about missing the noise reduction feature. It's nothing special. I kept getting blurring artifacts no matter how I adjusted the settings and thus never use it.
07-03-2018, 01:38 PM
Premium Member

Odd, because the older DPS-235 (actually Personal TBC IV+ cards in a rackmount case) always has the 3-line adaptive comb filter turned on.
07-03-2018, 02:07 PM
Free Member

I guess newer isn't always better. Apparently both the comb filtering and TBC are done in software running on FPGAs. Either they didn't have the horsepower to do both simultaneously or they weren't weren't getting satisfactory results on jittery signals and decided to just use the notch filter built into a Phillips SAA7113.
07-03-2018, 04:51 PM
Site Staff | Video

None of this surprises me. The DPS was a rack mount unit, designed for and used in broadcast facilities, and better analog non-VHS sources were expected. These are unlike the Cypress and DataVideo units, that were expressly created for VHS>digital workflows.

I had tried/tested many of these "Big Bertha" TBCs in the late 2000s and early 2010s, in the hopes of finding TBC deals or to use the unique features. None were ever pleasing. Usually the quality was harmed in processing, or the TBC was flaky, or the advertised features didn't actually work (or work correctly) -- or a combination of all those faults. The entire DPS/Leitch/Harris brigade is something I learned to long ago avoid.

I'd never use one of these.

The sharp edges and big body alone makes it not-fun.

07-10-2018, 04:14 PM
Free Member

Hi guys...just got a fiew of dps-575 without front panel and so I need PC remote control software...anyone has it? please post it or send it to me...
thx
12-14-2018, 11:31 PM
Free Member

How does the DPS-470AV compares to the DSP-475AV does it come in a PAL version? And How does BrightEye 75 compare to all ? Is it good for VHS signal?

Last edited by latreche34; 12-15-2018 at 12:02 AM.
02-21-2019, 08:51 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
How does the DPS-470AV compares to the DSP-475AV does it come in a PAL version? And How does BrightEye 75 compare to all ? Is it good for VHS signal?
Hi!
I've owned and used the PAL enabled 575 version for a while now.

Bad things first: noisy fan and VERY deep. You can not use this thing in a typical living room.
My unit's VFD has some problems, too: it Flips into negative after a while. This does not affect Operation.
And it loses some button caps.
The unit will not accept an NTSC 4.43 signal. Actually, it would but output is b/w.

OK, even with the best of the best of VHS Players, like the Panasonic AG-7350, you're still going to need a TBC or frame sync to get any useful output for a digital production chain. (Who would have guessed). That means that the 575’s 3D comb filter is not available to you when you use VHS, unless you buy two and daisy-chain them. I found the 575’s TBS to be very reliable, so I do all my VHS dubbing through it. The 575 also has very fine video adjustments which allow tweaking weak or off signals. The unit does have an SDI output that allows direct recording to an SDI-capable VTR.

I also own a Snell & Wilcox KUDOS Plus TBS185 Advanced Synchronizer/Timebase Correctors with 3D Golden Gate Technology. Ironically, this device has a similar limitation than the DPS 575: If you need to stabilize the image, you must run it through the A or B composite inputs, but only input C employs the illustrious Golden Gate decoder. If you feed VHS to input C, you don’t get a stable picture. With Laserdisc, you do. Also with the JVC HR-DM10000EU, when you enable its integrated TBC. (Input C goes to the IQDAMDD 12-bit advance multi-standard decoder board, in case you are interested.)
Out of frustration, I put the TBS185 in daisy-chain after the DPS575 to use the latter’s TBC and the former’s decoder. Wait a minute, you’re going to say, how does he do that? I do connect the 575’s CVBS output to feed the 185’s CVBS input. Yes, this involves at least one unnecessary D/A conversion stage. OTOH, both units have 12 bit converters and we’re still talking about VHS, so let’s not split hairs I think.
Anyway, the results are really nice. Pictures are super stable and the TBS185’s noise reduction and enhancement circuits can contribute to a better image if used with caution.
Have fun with your standard definition gear and media!
The following users thank Präsi for this useful post: archivarious (03-09-2021), JShort (05-27-2020)
10-09-2019, 11:27 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Präsi View Post
Hi!
Out of frustration, I put the TBS185 in daisy-chain after the DPS575 to use the latter’s TBC and the former’s decoder. Wait a minute, you’re going to say, how does he do that? I do connect the 575’s CVBS output to feed the 185’s CVBS input. Yes, this involves at least one unnecessary D/A conversion stage. OTOH, both units have 12 bit converters and we’re still talking about VHS, so let’s not split hairs I think.
Anyway, the results are really nice. Pictures are super stable and the TBS185’s noise reduction and enhancement circuits can contribute to a better image if used with caution.
Have fun with your standard definition gear and media!
The problem with going VHS > DPS decode/TBC > CVBS > TBS185 decode is you're limited by the DPS's initial notch filtered decoder in TBC mode. To take advantage of the Golden Gate you really need to feed it the analog signal directly, which as you've discovered, won't work because it can't tolerate VHS time base errors. That's a bummer.

While I initially bought the DPS for use as a TBC, I now use it more like an A/V receiver with Proc Amp and SDI converter. It works great in that capacity. My VHS machines have built-in TBCs, so I just turn that feature off on the DPS.

I added a resistor to the fan circuit to slow it down. No more noise!
10-11-2019, 08:12 AM
Free Member

Thanks for sharing your observations and advice with the resistor!