Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-27-2011, 09:58 AM
Free Member

After reading this http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...der-hacks.html and read you last message to my thread.(Thanks for you last message.) I understand more why "old card" still the best for lossless format.

Do you think it's a good transaction or I should make a offer (I don't want insult him? This card work with PAL and NTSC, I read conflicting topics about it. It seem to have many version of card with theater chipset, but I just want something for lossless capturing. (I have already Canopus for DV).

<< eBay link sent via PM >>

On the others hands, with this card, I just have to be sure to have a respectable audio capture device to avoid lag between video and audio.

What do you thinks about this? It's freshly released, work trying before returning to windows XP lol
Code:
http://xpdrivers.com/video/card/ati/all-in-wonder/x600-pro/_5_9201.cfm
Thanks for your patience.

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Last edited by lordsmurf; 12-27-2011 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Link to malware site removed.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-27-2011, 10:13 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Hi Mejnour, glad to help.

I see two topics here: (1) advice on buying a card, (2) questions about some unknown drivers claiming to work in Vista/Win7

For (1): $75 is an excellent price. Buy it. Don't try to cheap out and make a lowball offer. You don't want to miss out on finding such a nice card in complete condition by trying to save $10-25. It's just not worth the risk. A good ATI All In Wonder Radeon card is worth at least $50 minimum, if not $75 or more. That's especially true of the PCI express cards, which are harder to find than the AGP cards -- especially in complete condition.

Use ATI MMC to capture MPEG, or VirtualDub to capture AVI. Don't install anything other than drivers (Catalyst) from the ATI CDs/DVDs. Most of the free software you get with hardware is just low-end junk. That's very true of Pinnacle, muvee Producer, etc.

For (2): That's a malware site.

The ATI All In Wonder cards cannot work in Windows Vista or Windows 7 because of how Microsoft changed the operating system. If you click on the download, notice that it's giving you some piece of crap exe file (DriverTool.exe), not a driver package from ATI. You can trust the driver downloads found on digitalFAQ.com -- especially if Site Staff posted them (me, kpmedia, admin, JMP). A lot of the so-called "driver download" sites infect your computers with adware and other crap you don't want.

xpdrivers.com is a scam. Don't download anything from that crappy blog.
- Hidden registration: http://whois.domaintools.com/xpdrivers.com
- Marked as phishing / malware by WOT users: http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/xpdrivers.com/

___

xpdrivers.com-fake-drivers-malware-site.jpg
___

To help Google:
xpdrivers.com ruins computers.
xpdrivers.com is spam.
xpdrivers.com is a scam, scammers.
xpdrivers.com gives you a virus, trojans, exploits, worms.
xpdrivers.com downloads adware, malware, phishing, illegal content.
xpdrivers.com fake files, fake drivers, fake anti-virus, fake updates.

To receive email notifications of new replies to this thread, click the link: Subscribe.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-28-2011, 10:06 AM
Free Member

Thanks for the advice,

What do you think about this

http://hothardware.com/Reviews/ATI-A...ress-X600-Pro/

I think that I may not be able to capture PAL from Europe (France)?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL

I am wondering that it can exist a European version and a American version of this card!

Not easy to find answers, after google it, I am with more questions than answer.
12-28-2011, 10:16 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

The NTSC and PAL cards are identical, aside from the tuner. And given that it's an analog tuner, it's unlikely you'll ever use that feature anyway. What you'll be using for non-TV recording (i.e., converting video tapes) is the composite/s-video block, along with RCA audio. Several of the cards here are "PAL" cards because I bought them used from eBay years and years ago ($100+ each), and they almost exclusively capture NTSC. The card attached to a PAL JVC S-VHS VCR is an NTSC tuner model. I captured several tapes yesterday with it.

France doesn't use PAL as the official analog format -- it's a unique French version of SECAM. Again, the ATI AIW Radeon cards (PCI, AGP and PCI express) capture it perfectly fine. In fact, I just KVM'd over and took a screen shot. See supported input formats (via composite and s-video) here:

atimmc-palsecam.jpg

If that's not proof, I don't know what is.

I don't remember the exact specs of that system, but it's ATI MMC 9.x with a 9600 AIW AGP card, connected to a JVC HR-S7965EK S-VHS VCR, with a DataVideo TBC-100 between them (in a PCI slot of the same system). It is the NTSC tuner version card, too. But I never use the tuner. In fact, the only tuner I use is the FM tuner on one of the PCI-E cards, to listen to NPR.

- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
12-28-2011, 02:22 PM
Free Member

kpmedia, thanks for calming me

We can be gratefull to have some peoples from the linear period

http://www.mediacollege.com/video/ed...nonlinear.html
12-29-2011, 12:09 PM

Yes, I've been around for a while. I watched non-linear editing (computer video editing) go from an impossible dream, to a unaffordable and near-unworkable mess, to an unaffordable workable solution, to a cost-effective workable solution. It took a decade or more to arrive there, but it did arrive nonetheless. At one point in time, I did video projects on purely analog workflows, while at the same time having work done in Adobe Premiere 5 (not CS5, but v5, from 11+ years ago). Hardware was a bottleneck issue for many, many years.

ATI AIW cards were one of the best things to happen to digital video transfer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediacollege.com link
In the early days of electronic video production, linear (tape-to-tape) editing was the only way to edit video tapes. Then, in the 1990s, non-linear editing computers became available and opened a whole new world of editing power and flexibility.

Non-linear editing was not welcomed by everyone and many editors resisted the new wave. In addition, early digital video was plagued with performance issues and uncertainty. However, the advantages of non-linear video eventually became so overwhelming that they could not be ignored.

In the 21st Century non-linear editing is king and linear editing is widely considered to be obsolete, or at least primitive. This is an understandable attitude considering the advantages of non-linear editing, but we urge you not to be too judgemental. Linear editing still has some advantages:

It is simple and inexpensive. There are very few complications with formats, hardware conflicts, etc.
For some jobs linear editing is better. For example, if all you want to do is add two sections of video together, it is a lot quicker and easier to edit tape-to-tape than to capture and edit on a hard drive.
Learning linear editing skills increases your knowledge base and versatility. According to many professional editors, those who learn linear editing first tend to become better all-round editors.

Although the "linear vs non-linear" argument is often subjective and some editors will disagree with the statements above, there can be little doubt that increasing your skill base is a good thing. There is nothing to be gained by completely rejecting linear editing, and much to be gained by adding it to your repertoire.

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
01-04-2012, 04:50 PM
Free Member

Hello guys,

Tomorrow I will receive my ATI All-in-wonder X600 pro PCI express card.

I begin to think about solution for re-installing windows XP.

1) Is this card is windows XP pro 64 bits compatible?
2) Do I benefit of using 64 bits version or may cause more trouble? (32 bits is enough)
3) I tought partitioning my disk (windows 7 for video editing and XP for capturing); good idea?
4) I have a Intel® Core™ i7-2600 Processor and from what I read it suppose to be windows XP compatible, but what about the x600 pro? Do I have to worry about DDR compatibility issue?

Thanks
01-04-2012, 05:02 PM

1. No. 32-bit only.
2. Trouble.
3. Not really. Dual boot systems are also more trouble than they're worth. Get two computers, use a KVM.
4. ATI All In Wonder Radeon cards only work with Windows XP, and that includes the x600.

01-04-2012, 09:00 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
1. No. 32-bit only.
2. Trouble.
3. Not really. Dual boot systems are also more trouble than they're worth. Get two computers, use a KVM.
4. ATI All In Wonder Radeon cards only work with Windows XP, and that includes the x600.
Thanks for your advices.

KVM, good idea.

Do you agree with system requirement described.

Also they saids 1GHz minimum processor speed for MPEG-2 video capture. Could it be more demanding for capturing huffy-AVI?

What do you think about SATA? is it off-topics or I should try to get latest SATA

========

Maybe a dumb question, but can I use the same card (video card) to do audio capture? or it have to be done with 2 separates card? I ask because reading this I saw the example about ATI all-in-wonder card to capture audio. I probably missing something...

Regards
01-16-2012, 12:46 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
This morning the "network guy" came at the demands of the administration board to look for my hardware requirement. Basically the 2 solutions will be proposed 1) dedicated winXP core duo (Intel® Desktop Board DG41TY) for my task (meaning upgrading PC for the core duo owner so I can use it). 2- is to do partitioning of a intel core i7 2600. Knowing that the first solution is more $$$ for the compagnie and been aware about partitioning, I am scare that they choose the second solution.

To be honest I had no argument when I told the "network guy" that partitioning should be avoid. Because he didn't see how it can be a problem, knowing wich drivers that should be activated for my card and wich should be shutdown to not interfere.

Can you give me some arguments so I can "act like" I know what's going on

THanks

Last edited by Mejnour; 01-16-2012 at 01:12 PM.
01-16-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
I am scare that they choose the first solution.
Don't you mean afraid that they chose the second solution? The partitioned one, being the one you do not want?

01-16-2012, 01:11 PM
Free Member

sorry you're right!

corrected
02-01-2012, 05:27 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
I'm not sure this is the best analogy, but I'll take a stab at it...

You have two arms. Let's say both are hard drives. Your elbow is the partition. And you want to do two tasks.
Try to juggle two balls total.
You can't do both on one drive (arm) very easily, can you? In fact, it fails pretty badly to keep up, bouncing hand to elbow.
The ideal way is to have one ball in each hand (drive).

Splitting something in half doesn't always make it two separate independent pieces.

And when it comes to OS and video capture, you really need two isolated and independent drives. Not a single drive cut in half.

- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs