03-26-2012, 01:39 PM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

I managed to find something about Cirrus Logic

Attached Files
File Type: pdf cirrus logic.pdf (1,005.6 KB, 5 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-01-2012, 05:57 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Thanks for sharing. You've been adding some good documents to the forum recently. Much appreciated.

Cirrus was probably the second-worst chipset of its day, because it was competing with Zoran, LSI Logic, Pioneer-Renesas, and a few others. The only worse chipset was the in-house Panasonic chips used on the "E" (pre-ES) series machines. Cirrus was found in the cheap off-brand DVD recorders from companies like Cyberhome.

In the grand scheme of things Cirrus was an average encoder chip best used at 2-hour SP mode, and nothing else. And only when the video source materials were clean, like DV camera, analog TV (cable, OTA, satellite), and maybe 8mm/Hi8 (which is not noisy like VHS). A lot of Cirrus recorders used CBR encoding, which really looked bad.

I would not purposely used a Cirrus recorder.

I need to update this article ASAP: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/reviews/dvd-recorders.htm

Note: Be sure that your only attach non-images. Don't "inline" them. (Don't use the [ATTACH][/ATTACH] bbcode.)
Just attach it to the post, don't insert it into the post, too. Otherwise even mods are blocked from seeing it! (That's new to me, too.)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs