05-12-2012, 12:22 PM
Free Member

Just recently got this on Ebay, I should get it in a couple of days. Can't seem to find much info about it, let alone an operator's manual for it. Has anyone used or worked with this TBC? Seeing that its a full-frame unit it should go great with some tape sources.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-09-2012, 09:41 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
TBCs like this tend to work poorly with consumer sources. For that reason, they're no suggested to home/hobby users. These are intended for specific broadcast workflows, and performance is not always useful outside of it.

Reply back with your assessment, when you get the time.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
06-11-2012, 02:01 PM
Free Member

Hey LS, with my initial testing of the TBC when I first got it, it works great so far having tested it with a few commercial tapes and older VHS sources plus the fact that it has S-Video input and output. Haven't been able to test it lately as I have been getting more video gear but I will continue to put the TBC to test in the coming weeks and let you know how it works out. So far seems to work like a champ with the AG-1980.

I know not all broadcast level TBC's are best for consumer sources, but with the Feral A4:2:2 I saw on Ebay for $70, I couldn't pass up that deal, plus it was in near mint condition. I did consider the AVT-8710 but gotten mixed reviews on that unit and the Datavideo is a bit pricey.

I aim to be a professional in my video workflow so I want to try to get the best gear as reasonably as possible. Lots of learning and reading to do in the weeks ahead but I am determined to get it done.

More tests to come soon.
06-16-2012, 05:53 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
How big is it compared to the VCR?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
06-17-2012, 01:18 AM
Premium Member

Its likely a 1U 19" rack mount sized unit. These TBCs are great for genlocking an external video source and providing continuous sync, but any actual stabilization of video (aka line based TBC functions) varies greatly between units. The Sony MPU-F100 I have doesn't seem to do any actual horizontal sync correction, although I haven't really tested it with crappy tapes.

The problem with that unit and many of the worn out professional units on ebay is that it needs capacitors replaced (there are HUNDREDS of them in that Sony!) and the unit needs to be re calibrated. My unit did a nice job of crushing reds (verified with color bars and vectorscope) and the entire imaged pulsed (likely due to bad filter capacitors in the power supply letting AC ripple current in to the signal path).
06-18-2012, 02:18 AM
Free Member

NJRoadfan is right, it is a rack mount based unit. This particular unit, when I tested it with a MV protected tape, did an excellent job of removing it and stabilizing the signal. It also has the proc amp controls on it as well. I believe there was a poster on VH that has this same unit, but unfortunately can't reach him (probably no longer active). Since the broadcast decks I have has the full-frame TBC and proc amp controls built in, most likely I won't need to use the Feral TBC. But coupled with the line TBC on the AG1980 for the EP tapes, I should be able to get the cleanest transfer as possible.

I'll keep experimenting and post my findings. Some stuff I may not understand with certain video terms but I am sure I can get some help here and learn as I go.