08-05-2012, 03:52 PM
Free Member

I'm following your suggestion to PM you with any questions

You seem to know about this subject, so:

Tomorrow I'm planning on buying a AVT-8710 and a AVDC-55 to transfer a few VHS, SVHS, 8mm and HI8. I've been reading and searching a lot about what is best without spending a lot of money, including what you wrote about the 8710 overheating if used a lot, but for the little use I need, it seems like the best cost effective option.

Can you recommend anything better within that price range?

- SVito

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-06-2012, 01:17 AM
Premium Member

I would not buy an AVT-8710 these days, personally. All the units around now are defective and have been for a long time, including my own. Not only does it fail at its job and cause defects in the video, but despite having color and levels settings for you to adjust, it decides to alter them all on its own. You can never set it to neutral, and correcting its "corrections" is really like working backwards.

A Datavideo TBC-100 PCI is in the same price range, and the most reliable option currently, unless you have lots of money to burn on a pro TBC.

As for the ADVC-55, if you want to capture to DV then I'd recommend the next step up, which is the ADVC-110. It's bi-directional so you can play your captures back to the TV directly from an NLE, for reviewing/editing. The DV format should give you good results providing your signal is a) already filtered by your VTR, and b) in the PAL standard which won't crush colors like it does for NTSC.
The following users thank Jarvis for this useful post: lordsmurf (08-06-2012)
08-06-2012, 02:31 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Just understand that the TBC-100 is also hard to find, as it's long since discontinued. DataVideo only offers the TBC-1000 now. There was a shift away from internal components about 6-7 years ago. Nevermind that the TBC-1000 is a TBC-100 married to a VP-299, of course. But I would agree the TBC-100 is best, if you can get one. Or get the TBC-1000, and unhook/bypass the VP-299 distribution amp. Pass directly in/out of the TBC-100 card. (There are modification instructions on this forum, if you search for them.)

The AVT-8710 is easy to find. And the hardware error was fixed, according to various sources. However it's still easy to end up with a defective version. So wherever you buy a TBC, be sure it has a return policy. For example, I'd mostly look at buying from B&H, not random stores or eBay sellers.

For capturing purposes, the ADVC-55 and 100/110 are the same, but it's just a DV solution. For NTSC, you'd do better with a lossless capture. NTSC DV25 compresses color too much, and leaves you with dull, off-color, fuzzier defined images. For PAL, DV is okay.

A good VCR is most important, however. Be sure to read this: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...ing-guide.html

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
The following users thank kpmedia for this useful post: lordsmurf (08-06-2012)
08-06-2012, 02:32 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
I copy/pasted this here from elsewhere, and was going to reply, but others have beaten me to it (and given excellent replies).

I have nothing to add.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-10-2012, 07:02 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
Just understand that the TBC-100 is also hard to find, as it's long since discontinued.
Just wanted to add something for any Australian readers - there's at least a few places here that sell them new.

http://www.videoguys.com.au/Shop/p/4...-dttbc100.html
http://www.gdbint.com.au/Product.aspx?pID=1
http://www.discountcameras.com.au/view_product/40132

They don't ship outside Australia unfortunately, however a quick search for the model showed up at BroadcastStore.com, which is selling it new and does ship internationally.

http://www.broadcaststore.com/store/....cfm?id=801241
The following users thank Jarvis for this useful post: lordsmurf (08-13-2012)