07-18-2012, 09:20 PM
Premium Member

I'm a bit out of the loop so I figure I'd get some advice on the "latest and greatest". The sample video was taken in the late 90's with and even older VHS camcorder from the late 80's. Transfer was with JVC 9911 with the DNR on which did a wonderful job of removing a lot of chroma noise, Canopus 110 for digital conversion. The tape was at least second copy and possibly more, I really have no idea as I didn't have possession of the original since I filmed it and that is MIA.

This first sample is the brightest section of video.

http://www.nepadigital.com/temp/sample1.avi 106MB

Most of this video is very dark as that was how it was performed. Here's sample of that:

http://www.nepadigital.com/temp/sample2.avi 82MB

If you're wondering this is the "Back Doors" which was hugely popular cover act in the 90's, filmed in Detroit at a place called the Paladium. Must of been 1 to 2 thousand people there. The drummer was a friend of mine who passed back in 2004. I've actually been holding onto this for quite a while now and want to get the most out of it I can. I'll note recapture is not an option.

LS note these are different samples from the original one I sent you.

Edit -- Original one: http://www.nepadigital.com/temp/solo.avi

Last edited by lordsmurf; 07-19-2012 at 12:56 AM. Reason: fixed JVC model #
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-19-2012, 07:42 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Attaching samples to forum...

Attached Files
File Type: rar sample1.part1.rar (32.00 MB, 5 downloads)
File Type: rar sample1.part2.rar (32.00 MB, 2 downloads)
File Type: rar sample1.part3.rar (29.90 MB, 1 downloads)
File Type: rar sample2.part1.rar (32.00 MB, 1 downloads)
File Type: rar sample2.part2.rar (32.00 MB, 1 downloads)
File Type: rar sample2.part3.rar (7.81 MB, 1 downloads)
File Type: rar solo.part1.rar (32.00 MB, 3 downloads)
File Type: rar solo.part2.rar (22.40 MB, 4 downloads)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-06-2012, 11:14 PM
Site Staff | Video

Since I know you're now looking for services, and not necessarily a DIY, I'll just give a brief overview...

Much of this would be done in a combination of Avisynth and VirtualDub.

There is further grain and chroma noise NR that could be done, without lossy artifacts as a side effect, and tweaking of the color values. Advanced color editing in Premiere Pro may or may not be required, though it would be tested.

It could also use demotion stabilization, and that's where it gets a bit tricky. But it these samples are representative of the entire video (tripod-like, but shaky), then it should also work well with minimal to zero side effects.

I've replied to your PM with a quote.

08-07-2012, 08:00 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
It could also use demotion stabilization, and that's where it gets a bit tricky. But it these samples are representative of the entire video (tripod-like, but shaky), then it should also work well with minimal to zero side effects.
"tripod-like"... lol. Hey. give me a break. I was boozing, it was a consumer tripod, and it was a big place. Those full zooms are probably 20X. Most of it is pretty stable because I wasn't doing a lot of zooming/panning. The one from the night before which is lost was a masterpiece in shake, rattle and roll, I was on this rickety balcony maybe 30 feet from the stage. It looked like someone attached a vibrator to the side of the camcorder.
08-17-2012, 11:53 AM
Free Member

Hmmmm, I wonder if Adobe After Effects might be able to help with the shakiness somewhat? It's a longshot, but it's better than nothing, right?
09-14-2012, 12:04 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont View Post
Hmmmm, I wonder if Adobe After Effects might be able to help with the shakiness somewhat? It's a longshot, but it's better than nothing, right?
There's a few Avisynth methods that work, as will vReveal (stripped version of Ikena).
I think it can handle demotion better than AE. However, all deshake methods have vast room for improvement.

This was an unanswered question or unresolved issue found during a site audit. It's hard to have an FAQ when the answers are missing, or final outcomes are unknown. At The Digital FAQ support forum, questions are never intentionally ignored, and may have been missed due to a forum glitch or human error. More details on the audit. (In some cases, threads have been edited/updated with newer information.)