Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-29-2012, 03:44 PM
Free Member

i have a tape of Greyhound races that is rare footage of the Wonderland Derbies including K's Flak 1979 Derby romp.

who ever made the tape back in the day put in background music,
i converted the tape via - AG-1980 > BVTBC10 > DR-M10S
then ripped the disk to my PC with DVD Decrypter.

problem is when i uploaded to YouTube i get nailed with copyright crap due to the background music .. gimma a break.... the fox-trot is copyrighted material??
they whine about the wall-street fat-cats... the Hollywood fat-cats are even worse.

i dont want to mute the audio because that will also mute the announcer
is there a software that can kill the music and leave the announcer?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-31-2012, 08:03 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Q: Is there a software that can kill the music and leave the announcer?
A: No.

The only trick that may work is fading the audio out during non-announcer moments.
A trick that used to work with Youtube is altering the pitch of the audio by a 5th chord. Not sure if it still works.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
10-31-2012, 08:11 PM
Free Member

good idea-
if there is only a little of the copyrighted music during the race calls, it might fly under the radar.
10-31-2012, 09:00 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Another trick is do the above ... and mix in your own track. Perhaps something classical. Maybe William Tell Overture?
Run it at full volume then fade it out, and the announcer (with original alternate track) back in.

The Youtube detection algorithms would probably choke.

- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
11-01-2012, 04:03 PM
Free Member

There is a way to do this, and it's a simple exercise in matlab. It's called Blind Source Separation. One problem, you need a number of channels equal to the number of sounds. To separate a voice talking and music in the background, you would need a stereo soundtrack. It sounds like this footage is too old for that technique, being mono.

Another idea, is a kind of subtraction. If you can find the original music, isolated, there might be a way to subtract it.

So, in reality I have no better idea than to edit down the non-talking portions.
The following users thank jmac698 for this useful post: kpmedia (11-01-2012)
11-01-2012, 06:49 PM
Free Member

Subtracting the original music could be fraught with problems. It depends on so many factors falling into place. The first is finding the exact same recording of the original music that was mixed onto the footage audio.

Then there are likely to be differences between the footage audio and the original recording caused by the quality of the recording and the way it's gone through several transformations to capture it. If lossy compression has been involved at any point for either the footage audio or the recording of the original music, information will have been lost and you may not get an exact match.

You see, you have to match the audio tracks, peak for peak, trough for trough, exactly in phase at the right amplitude for the entire duration in order to be able to effectively cancel the background music out of the audio. There are so many variables that could affect the exact timing of the music, including mechanical and electrical tolerances of the recording and playback devices.

Even if you are successful in removing or reducing the music, whatever is be left may not be usable.

I'm sorry if this seems a bit negative. It's possible subtraction could work, but I wanted to point out what you'd be up against.

All in all, it's a tough ask. But I wish you well in finding a solution.

Last edited by meson1; 11-01-2012 at 07:01 PM.
The following users thank meson1 for this useful post: kpmedia (11-01-2012)
11-01-2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meson1 View Post
I'm sorry if this seems a bit negative..
Sometimes honesty just seems negative.
But it's still better than being misled, and filling somebody full of false hopes.

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
11-04-2012, 09:54 PM
Free Member

meson,
I agree with you assuming we're talking about a simple subtraction here. That's not what I was thinking though. I was thinking of the type of adaptive filter they use for Acoustic Echo Cancellation. This type of filter requires a few seconds of training time, but eventually "learns" the signal and can remove it.

I've tried straight subtractions before, it usually just makes the music have a "phasing" sound.

I have another idea though, try the noise removal filter in Audacity, but instead of selecting noise, select music. This will cancel out the frequencies used by the music, but the voice frequencies can overlap as well, so it could affect the voice too.

I could possibly remove music from a soundtrack, but that's only likely if someone pays me or I have a good reason to.

So mostly I'm saying, it's theoretically possible, which doesn't actually help at all

Blind Source Separation is something I'd be willing to do since there's a tutorial to do this and only takes a few minutes.
But it only works with stereo.
01-18-2013, 07:34 AM
Premium Member

Sony has a new product out that lets you remove / edit and change almost anything. Watched the 30 minute demo video. It is not easy work, but with this software you can do anything you want to any soundtrack......

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/spectralayerspro

Watch this video this is proof. This is actually amazing.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY2bWyiaei4

01-18-2013, 09:43 AM

What exactly are we supposed to be seeing in that demo?

01-18-2013, 10:26 AM
Free Member

The guitars from Led Zepplin were added on top of the Beatles tune, from what I can see. I'm not familiar with the two songs. The software seems to separate parts of sounds in a new way; based on spectrum. I don't think it's that innovative really, it seems to be the same idea as build noise profile in many programs except exposing editing capability on it.
Same potential for this project as I was saying before, to select the spectral footprint of the music and take it out.
01-18-2013, 02:08 PM
Premium Member

To be able to pull the vocals out of a song, pull the guitar, pull the drums, pull the bass, to isolate every instrument in a song is amazing. The overall mixing that these guys did is unbelievable. Know both songs well. It is more than just guitar mixed, it two songs mashed together to create some crazy mashed up mix. With audio this is amazing thing to have, cause you can turn any soundtrack in to a multi-track recording.
You can do a lot of things with this kind of software, even to the point of doing full restoration of audio tracks.

In the past you needed to have the source recording or an isolated track to do this. Granted DJ have been kind of doing this for years and really was the base which started up rap music back in the 1980ties. It was always something that was amazing to me, cause I never knew how it was done. Maybe my eyes were never open to how to achieve it. I don't claim to be an expert on this, cause I don't know that much about it. Never really mixed turntables, besides scratching records when I was kid, trying to create rap music. Personally have been working with audio for about 15 years. Even 15 years ago, the things you could do to an audio track was pretty wild, thinking back to the old cool edit days. What you can do today in 2013 in your house on your computer is something I never thought was possible. Especially back in 1997.

Looking at this, what I see is possible, if you are good, you can take your favorite CD's or music and work on it and mix it to a Dolby 5.1 surround soundtrack. You can also take any messed up recording and do professional restoration on it. To just know this is possible to do, is amazing.

Things have just come a long way, when I am in the store and see a remastered soundtrack I will usually pick it up, it is pretty cool that some bands believe in doing this kind of work to their music. Last year got the Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here Immersion Box Set the DVD audio which comes with it, is so much better than the CD set I got back in 1991.

To me the next step would be to replace all CD's use DVD's audio as the next playback format and would go as far as using blue-ray audio as the new model, for car stereos. You can use hard drives and all that. Still like having a disc.

Sorry that I ran off on random topics but it all kind of relates......
01-18-2013, 04:21 PM
Free Member

If I sounded blaze' it was only from the perspective of being aware of this technology in the research arena. I'm sure anyone in the field could do the same in Matlab, but it would be very awkward. Actually, it is exciting to see this technology commercialized, and I'm sure we'll be seeing some amazing remixes in the future.

Like you, I've had thoughts about remasters and restoration. One example, the remaster of Kraftwerk's Computer World. I was curious, but didn't like it. It had that "noise-gated" sound, which I find objectionable. I also found the complete silence between notes harsh.

I was thinking of how I would do it. What if you took each note where it occurred in isolation, and averaged many copies of it, to reduce noise like we do with the multiple capture technique? Then turn that into an instrument patch, and replay the notes. You could go even further and extract the samples/sounds from vintage hardware freshly. I think programs like Reason have modeled original equipment to recreate the sound digitally. This works best for Kraftwerk because the rhythm tracks are programmed, but some of the leads are hand-played. I also assume they have some of the original tracks isolated.

Now for the remastered Beatles. I really didn't hear much difference. I think they mostly fixed little sections with tape dropouts and so on, just taking the best bits of various recordings. Making that into a real stereo remix would be amazing.

Final example, Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, 5.1 remix. It's amazing. In "Time", the clocks go off all around you. The overall sound is still distorted though. I'm sure there's some way to detect that distortion and undo do it. I should try that in Matlab with an old cassette deck.