Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-29-2012, 09:26 PM
Free Member

It's super clean inside, I can't see tar on anything. Looks like it's never been used. Thanks for the advice on removing the smell, I will definitely try it. Saw your listing ... Shoulda coulda woulda.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-01-2012, 11:03 AM
Free Member

Final chapter in this saga: Contacted the seller and he swears he does not smoke and that it's possibly the packing material. Sure enough, there was some pink foam that reeked like cigarette smoke. It's amazing how pervasive that odor is.

Lessons learned for those who may be starting out and reading this thread:

1. Join this forum and ask for help finding a deck and other hardware. Either someone with great knowledge will sell you a deck in known working condition, or they will help you find it on eBay. Don't go it alone.

2. Be prepared to shell out some cash. $1,000 should get you where you want to be, maybe less if you have existing hardware like a capture card and computer.

3. When you see a VHS transfer service asking for $20-40 per tape, it's actually a pretty good deal. This process is not for the faint of heart, if you're concerned about quality anyway. Consider having an expert do it for you instead of incurring the headaches of DIY.

4. Don't try to gather equipment one month before you want your project to be delivered. It's going to take you at least that long to track down the hardware and read the threads to learn how best to use it. Give yourself lots of time, or you'll be an overspending spazz like myself.

5. Pay for the Premium membership upgrade. These topics are very niche and the site admins (not to mention other members) have extensive knowledge and experience. You'll need to rely on their help far beyond the hardware acquisition phase (I know I will). Go ahead, pay for their lunch today, they deserve it.
The following users thank Bracket26 for this useful post: JMP (01-30-2013)
12-01-2012, 11:24 AM
Free Member

if you take you time and you can find sweet deals on equipment.
i just got a SR-W7U for $82 shipped to my door - it took me a year to find one that cheap.

also be very weary of the $7.95 per tape services - many of these are complete hacks using junk equipment they got on clearance at Wal-mart or Best buy.
01-30-2013, 04:24 AM
Former Site Staff | Computers

Bracket26,

I am glad you have been able to find the information and help you need here on the forums. It's users like you, volksjager, njroadfan, and the like that make this place come together.

-JMP

This was an unanswered question or unresolved issue found during a site audit. It's hard to have an FAQ when the answers are missing, or final outcomes are unknown. At The Digital FAQ support forum, questions are never intentionally ignored, and may have been missed due to a forum glitch or human error. More details on the audit. (In some cases, threads have been edited/updated with newer information.)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Check out my latest Editorial.

Tags
ag-1970, bvp-4, dps-235, es15, fcpx