02-18-2013, 08:38 PM
Free Member

Hello Digitalfaqers,

Since I received a lot from the community of this unmatched site in term of ressource and knowledge.
I would like to share some experiment that I did with a device called the "New ACE" that stand for Advanced Convertor Enhancer.

I justed captured Huffyuv YUY2 avi sequences (720x480) with HR-S7600U.
Then encode directly in MPEG-2 with 2 pass filters (352x480) with adobe media encoder.
  1. Original (No TBC and No color Correction)
  2. No TBC + ACE color correction
  3. Only JVC TBC + ACE color correction
  4. Only ACE TBC + ACE color correction
  5. JVC and ACE TBC + ACE color correction

I captured a 45 minutes sequences today with the ACE TBC without any dropped frame and with perfect audio synchronisation. I guess it look like I may have "a kind of" external JVC TBC with some image correction features.

What do you think?
Does the JVC and ACE TBC seem equivalent to your eagles eyes!

Comments are always welcome

and no this is not God or Santa Claus

Attached Files
File Type: mpg 1-Original.mpg (12.37 MB, 24 downloads)
File Type: mpg 2-No TBC + ACE color correction.mpg (11.95 MB, 16 downloads)
File Type: mpg 3-JVC TBC.mpg (10.37 MB, 18 downloads)
File Type: mpg 4-ACE TBC.mpg (11.38 MB, 18 downloads)
File Type: mpg 5-ACE TBC + JVC TBC.mpg (10.62 MB, 16 downloads)

Last edited by Mejnour; 02-18-2013 at 09:14 PM.
The following users thank Mejnour for this useful post: lordsmurf (02-24-2013)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-24-2013, 11:35 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Nice samples. This is the kind of stuff I enjoy.

The JVC TBC is still outperforming the ACE, but it does pretty good on that visual error. Curious how it would do with more/others.
FYI, you can see the because of ripples on the left side.
And I wonder how the ACE does on true/false anti-copy signals. It could replace a AVT-8710? Hmm... I wonder.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
02-24-2013, 12:17 PM
Free Member

Hi lordsmurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Nice samples. This is the kind of stuff I enjoy.

The JVC TBC is still outperforming the ACE, but it does pretty good on that visual error. Curious how it would do with more/others.
FYI, you can see the because of ripples on the left side.
Nice observation actually I noticed this ripples after the post, when I played the DVD on the HDTV.
You have eagles eyes. Maybe I can ask you if you see a difference with JVC TBC vs JVC+ACE TBC?
I am really not convince that there is some addition effects, but since I don't know much about theory...

...but I am sure that you already tried to hook 2 TBC deck in serie

To be honest yesterday I was wondering if it will be worth to hook a second enough large monitor (TV or lower resolution Monitor) with my Viewsonic HD VP-2365WB to be able to notice all the subtles change when playing with settings? I don't do more than 720x480 capture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
And I wonder how the ACE does on true/false anti-copy signals. It could replace a AVT-8710? Hmm... I wonder.
Thanks for your interest!

from GTH Electroniques site...

Quote:
Removing Video Copy Protection
Any ACE Converter with the latest software will always remove all forms of copy protection. However we do not condone illegal copyright theft and due to the requirements of the USA Digital Millennium Copyright Act and similar laws elsewhere we will refuse to sell to anyone who intends to use our products for this purpose.

For those customers living in jurisdictions where copying of their own material is permitted for personal use, or where permission has been given for copying of copyright material, it is worth noting that the Original ACE also always removes Macrovision but unlike the ACE Converter it does not automatically remove CGMS-A protection from DVDs. However this can be achieved by pressing IN just the Top Wipe button (to the right of the ACTION button), leaving the other three Wipe buttons OUT and pressing IN the MANUAL button, leaving the AUDIO button OUT. Then, starting with the SPEED/MANUAL Fade Knob fully clockwise, turn it slowly anticlockwise while trying to record your copy until copying is permitted. Turning this control too far anticlockwise will of course cut off part of the video at the top so careful adjustment is required but the correct setting will remove CGMS-A protection and not damage the video. (BYPASS must be OUT!)
02-24-2013, 12:54 PM
Site Staff | Video

The JVC TBC is first, and overrides anything the ACE would do, for that type of error.
At most, the ACE could make it worse, but that's unlikely from a decent TBC. (Those "macrovision removers" however, tend to really screw it up!)

Actions speak louder than words. I want to see it in action.

06-03-2013, 04:53 AM
Free Member

The ACE is far inferior for straightening the lines. The picture frame in the background looks like it's melting.

(came here via a forum link)
The following users thank msgohan for this useful post: admin (06-04-2013)
06-04-2013, 05:15 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post
The ACE is far inferior for straightening the lines. The picture frame in the background looks like it's melting.
At best, it may replace an external TBC.
But it's definitely not up to par for horizontal jitter errors. (ie fixing wiggle lines, ala the JVC/Panasonic VCRs)

06-05-2013, 03:45 AM
Free Member

In my experience the GTE ACE had a tendency to drop fields. Not frames; fields.

I had a "non-interlaced" source (movie converted frame for frame from 24fps to 25fps PAL, speeding it up slightly.) When played in via the ACE, it would drop fields at random producing a very strange capture. Sections of the film would be fine, then other sections would exhibit interlacing artefacts. It made a right mess of it.

That day, my ACE became a doorstop.