12-02-2013, 03:56 PM
Free Member

Hi, I have attached a small sample of an mp4 video with very distorted audio. I have Goldwave v.5.70
and on Windows XP. Can you guide me on how to clean up the audio?
Thanks for your time.

Sincerely,
Summer

Attached Files
File Type: mp4 EL REBELDE.mp4 (2.20 MB, 4 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-03-2013, 07:57 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

The problem is that the audio doesn't just contain clipping. It also has very shrill audio, at least judging by this sample. There's also some old vinyl/tape crackle and hiss, though that's somewhat easy to remove. Fixing the shrill is not going to be easy, if even possible. I quickly tried a few things for the shrill, and it either had no effect or actually made the audio worse.

I used a few of our custom filters in Sound Forge to get here -- mostly the anti-clipping filters, after normalizing it to 30%. A few more were added to try and make it sounds better, but nothing was really to my satisfaction.

Find those here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...io-filter.html

Somebody butchered the MP4 by starving the audio of bitrate. The noise won on the compression, hence shrill. You just need to locate better source. If it's an MP4 now, then something better exists, be it tape or a DVD.

Music makes for terrible blind samples. You need voices, unless there's a control to compare against.

Next time, also give us a WAV file ready to edit. Not an MP4 that we have to demux and convert first. Just be sure the original MP4 sounds identical to the WAV, and that converting didn't cause further loss.

Attached Files
File Type: wav EL REBELDE_track1_out.wav (6.51 MB, 2 downloads)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
12-03-2013, 01:46 PM
Free Member

Thanks kpmedia for taking the time to look at the audio. I downloaded this movie in 10 parts from Youtube. I use the
Downloadhelper plugin for firefox and i save it in mp4 format. This is the only way to get this movie.
Thanks again for your help.

Sincerely,
Summer
12-03-2013, 02:10 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
What movie is it?

- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-04-2013, 03:31 PM
Free Member

Hi lordsmurf, it is a spanish movie called El Rebelde with the actor Jorge Negrete. Movie was made in 1943.
My parents and i have been looking for this movie and only seen it at Youtube, but the audio is very distorted.
12-04-2013, 04:32 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

It's on Amazon -- http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&tag=thdifa-20
It appears to be an imported DVD from Mexico.

It was also on eBay, but is more expensive there.

- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.