09-08-2005, 12:19 AM
Free Member

Just to enlighten some people to the advances in technology and proof that SOME things can be fixed even if they dont appear that way, using a original BASF VHS tape recording of ALF the animated series from its original NBC Saturday morning broadcast this is just 1 example of how having the right hardware can turn a B-/C quality tape into an A recording because the tape was not "truly" B-/C to begin with

The equipment used will be JVC 9600, JVC DVHS 40000u, BVP-4, AVT8710 TBC, JVC MV10S DVD Recorder on 3hr mode

The first screen shows just the JVC9600 being fed to TBC then to the DVD recorder, this is what 90-95% of the population will see inputting the VCR into the DVD recorder, most times even worse since I am using a TBC here, and trust me the image looks better than it actually is because you are not seeing the distortion and tearing in motion so it looks even worse while watching

THIS IS NORMALLY WHAT YOUR BOOTLEGGERS OF THE WORLD CALL 8.5-9.0 A+, THIS IS FAR FROM A QUALITY!

1a.jpg
You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

The second screen shows what happens when you hook up the JVC9600 to the DVHS for use as a passthrough to the DVD recorder, this is what most people would consider "acceptable" and I myself would give it a low A- but more likely a B due to the errors I KNOW can be fixed (color bleed, saturation)

3a.jpg
You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

The last screen shows what happens when the JVC9600 is connected to the DVHS as passthrough then to the BVP for color correction, then to the JVC DVD recorder to get the A/A- quality truly "restored" video, it may appear less vibrant in color but what the 2nd pic misleads about is color bleading and saturation that on a TV would stand out as ugly

1b.jpg

As you can see its a massive improvement ( a video clip may have been more useful) and the only thing that remains is slight grain and a softer pic but it now matches what the original broadcast in 1988 on antenna TV probably looked like and with that said....

THIS IS THE BASIS OF "RESTORING", THIS IS WHY IT TAKES SO LONG TO FINISH SOME SETS. IT TAKES HARDWARE, MONEY, & PATIENCE. SO NEXT TIME YOU BADGER SOMEBODY ABOUT "WHY IS IT TAKING SO LONG" KEEP IN MIND THE GOAL WE ARE TRYING TO ACHIEVE

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-08-2005, 12:59 AM
Premium Member

This should be on digitalfaq.com when completed.
09-08-2005, 01:24 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,442 Times in 2,075 Posts
That and crapvideo.com, a little split across both sites.

I think I found a code basis I like finally for the other sites on this server. The main tvpreservation.com is still naked.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-08-2005, 08:53 AM
Free Member

It is now updated with pics, I will do some more of these in the coming week or so to give a more accurate depiction of what things were "saved" that their owners thought were complete crap