04-28-2020, 01:31 PM
Free Member

Hi All,

My goal is to deinterlace avi file (HuffYUV codec) with Avisynth+ QTGMC and to encode it to H264 using FFmpeg.

Avisynth script:
Code:
SetFilterMTMode("QTGMC",2)
FFmpegSource2("VHS_HUFF_trunc.avi",atrack=1)
AssumeTFF()
QTGMC(Preset="Draft",Edithreads=3,NoiseProcess=0)
Prefetch(threads=10)
FFmpeg:
Code:
ffmpeg -i "VHS_deinterlace.avs" -c:v libx264 -crf 30 -preset ultrafast -c:a aac -b:a 192k "VHS1_H264.mkv"
The issue is that audio is out of sync.
In the beginning it's not very noticeable but closer to the end audio is ahead by a few seconds.
No such issue on the source file or when souce file is encoded without avisynth.

I tried to figure out the reason and I found that Media Player Classic provides this info on the source file (Ctrl + G):
Duration: 03:32:56.200
Total frames: 319405
FPS: 25

And on deinterlaced file encoded to H264:
Duration: 03:32:55.972
Total frames: 638017
FPS: 49.939

I don't know if this method to count frames by MPC is legit but it looks like avisynth dropped some frames.
Since QTGMC is doubling frames by default, I'd expect double amount of original wich would be 638 810.
But output from avisynth is by 793 frames less than expected.
So presumably about 396 frames from original video are dropped.

Could audio be out of sync due to this?

I've also tried the following:
1. Set FPS to 25 as for some reason avisynth identifies source as 24.97 FPS by default:
Code:
AssumeTFF()
AssumeFPS(25,1,true)
QTGMC(Preset="Draft",Edithreads=3,NoiseProcess=0)
Prefetch(threads=10)
With this, FPS on H264 file is 50 but amount of frames is the same.
Video delay from audio is much worse as video just plays faster.

2. Disable doubling frame rate by QTGMC:
Code:
AssumeTFF()
QTGMC(Preset="Draft",Edithreads=3,NoiseProcess=0,FPSDivisor=2)
Prefetch(threads=10)
The same delay as with default settings and less frames (319009) compared to the original file.

Could you please advise on how to sync audio?

P.S.
I use "Draft" just for testing, the issue was the same on "Very Slow".

Thanks
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-29-2020, 03:36 AM
Free Member

you have forgotten selecteven after qtgmc it seems

qtgmc() # deinterlace in 50 fps
selecteven # back to 25 fps
04-29-2020, 04:53 AM
Free Member

With selecteven() avisynth drops frames too.
Besides, after deinterlace I want fps 50, not 25.

I was able to find out what cause the issue:
Code:
FFmpegSource2("VHS_HUFF_trunc.avi")
If avi is HuffYUV then avisynth drops frames.

No dropped frames when using AVISource:
Code:
AVISource("VHS_HUFF_trunc.avi")
Also no dropped frames with FFmpegSource2 if video is encoded as FFV1.

I've no idea why FFmpegSource2 works incorrectly with HuffYUV.
Considering that in my workflow I have FFV1 for archive, I'll use this instead of source HuffYUV or just AVISource instead of FFmpegSource2.

Thanks
01-24-2023, 07:29 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik92 View Post
With selecteven() avisynth drops frames too.
Besides, after deinterlace I want fps 50, not 25.

I was able to find out what cause the issue:
Code:
FFmpegSource2("VHS_HUFF_trunc.avi")
If avi is HuffYUV then avisynth drops frames.

No dropped frames when using AVISource:
Code:
AVISource("VHS_HUFF_trunc.avi")
Also no dropped frames with FFmpegSource2 if video is encoded as FFV1.

I've no idea why FFmpegSource2 works incorrectly with HuffYUV.
Considering that in my workflow I have FFV1 for archive, I'll use this instead of source HuffYUV or just AVISource instead of FFmpegSource2.

Thanks
I've been trying to find a decent work flow from capture to a deinterlaced file format that will work with FCPX (ProRes.mov). I've had so many issues, the latest one is that the sync is off after I deinterlace in AviSynth/AvsPmod.

Here is my work flow. I captured using DVC-100 capture dongle (29.97) from VHS-C S-Video, a JVC Camera. I'm using AmeRecTV 3.1 as capture software, as when using VirtualDub1 or 2 I don't get consistent 29.97 frame rate file, so I found that AmeRecTV worked. I'm compressing to HuffyUV codec.avi when capturing the video. After many 3min tests I finally captured a 25 min VHS-C tape.

After capture using the above method I had a 29.97 perfect synced interlaced file footage in huffyUV.AVI . Then I ran the file in AvsPmod using QTGMC to deinterlace into ProRes.mov codec and I ran into the same issue as you when deinterlacing this file in AvsPmod the file displayed at 29.925 and after deinterlacing it was at 59.85 and it was out by a good half second.

After searching online I found your post. I'm new at deinterlacing, are you saying that it was the HuffyUV codec causing the sync issue? Should I capture in Lagartih? My original script is similar to yours and was from Andrew Swan's video on how to deinterlace.

SetFilterMTMode ("QTGMC", 2)
FFMPEGSource2("videofile.avi", atrack=1)
AssumeBFF()
QTGMC(preset="Slower")
BilinearResize(1440,1080)
Prefetch(1)

In regards to this comment:
"I've no idea why FFmpegSource2 works incorrectly with HuffYUV.
Considering that in my workflow I have FFV1 for archive, I'll use this instead of source HuffYUV or just AVISource instead of FFmpegSource2."

Did you just change the script to AVISource("VHS_HUFF_trunc.avi") or did you have capture to a different compression codec at capture? Again sorry for asking but what is FFV1? is that a different version of FFmegSource2?

Any details on what you did to alter your workflow to make it working would be grateful.
Regards;
Phil
01-24-2023, 08:01 AM
Free Member

couple of mistakes in your script

Code:
qtgmc()  # (double frame rate)
selecteven() #  back to normal, 29.9 fps
and don't use billineardresize to upscale , rather spline36resize
01-24-2023, 10:50 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reel-images View Post
I've been trying to find a decent work flow from capture to a deinterlaced file format that will work with FCPX (ProRes.mov). I've had so many issues, the latest one is that the sync is off after I deinterlace in AviSynth/AvsPmod.

Here is my work flow. I captured using DVC-100 capture dongle (29.97) from VHS-C S-Video, a JVC Camera. I'm using AmeRecTV 3.1 as capture software, as when using VirtualDub1 or 2 I don't get consistent 29.97 frame rate file, so I found that AmeRecTV worked. I'm compressing to HuffyUV codec.avi when capturing the video. After many 3min tests I finally captured a 25 min VHS-C tape.

After capture using the above method I had a 29.97 perfect synced interlaced file footage in huffyUV.AVI . Then I ran the file in AvsPmod using QTGMC to deinterlace into ProRes.mov codec and I ran into the same issue as you when deinterlacing this file in AvsPmod the file displayed at 29.925 and after deinterlacing it was at 59.85 and it was out by a good half second.

After searching online I found your post. I'm new at deinterlacing, are you saying that it was the HuffyUV codec causing the sync issue? Should I capture in Lagartih? My original script is similar to yours and was from Andrew Swan's video on how to deinterlace.

SetFilterMTMode ("QTGMC", 2)
FFMPEGSource2("videofile.avi", atrack=1)
AssumeBFF()
QTGMC(preset="Slower")
BilinearResize(1440,1080)
Prefetch(1)

In regards to this comment:
"I've no idea why FFmpegSource2 works incorrectly with HuffYUV.
Considering that in my workflow I have FFV1 for archive, I'll use this instead of source HuffYUV or just AVISource instead of FFmpegSource2."

Did you just change the script to AVISource("VHS_HUFF_trunc.avi") or did you have capture to a different compression codec at capture? Again sorry for asking but what is FFV1? is that a different version of FFmegSource2?

Any details on what you did to alter your workflow to make it working would be grateful.
Regards;
Phil
From what I've experienced FFmpegSource2 is not working correctly with avi captured in HuffYUV. This could be due to dropped frames during capture. Some info that I got about this: https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...22#post1911122

Solution could be just to replace FFmpegSource2 with AVISource("VHS_HUFF_trunc.avi"). No need to capture to a different codec. Had no issues with AVISource.
But personally I ended up using FFmpegSource2 with video encoded in FFV1 instead of HuffYUV.

FFV1 is lossless codec with compression better than HuffYUV.
As part of my workflow I capture in HuffYUV via VirtalDub then encode video to FFV1 using ffmpeg (keep this for archive and some future use) and then deinterlace FFV1 into H264 with double frame rate:

ffms2("F:\VHS\DVHS1\DVHS1_FFV1.mkv", fpsnum =25)
AssumeTFF()
AssumeFPS(25)
QTGMC(Preset="Very Slow",Edithreads=3, NoiseProcess=0)
Prefetch(threads=10)
01-25-2023, 07:10 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik92 View Post
From what I've experienced FFmpegSource2 is not working correctly with avi captured in HuffYUV. This could be due to dropped frames during capture. Some info that I got about this: https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...22#post1911122

Solution could be just to replace FFmpegSource2 with AVISource("VHS_HUFF_trunc.avi"). No need to capture to a different codec. Had no issues with AVISource.
But personally I ended up using FFmpegSource2 with video encoded in FFV1 instead of HuffYUV.

FFV1 is lossless codec with compression better than HuffYUV.
As part of my workflow I capture in HuffYUV via VirtalDub then encode video to FFV1 using ffmpeg (keep this for archive and some future use) and then deinterlace FFV1 into H264 with double frame rate:

ffms2("F:\VHS\DVHS1\DVHS1_FFV1.mkv", fpsnum =25)
AssumeTFF()
AssumeFPS(25)
QTGMC(Preset="Very Slow",Edithreads=3, NoiseProcess=0)
Prefetch(threads=10)
@Nik92, first off thank you so much for your response, I feel like I'm throwing darts in the dark posting on forms for clarification. Thanks!

(note, my source original captured huffyUV.avi is perfectly in sync from beginning to end prior to deinterlacing and it's a 22 min clip.)

I will try to replace the code line FFmpegSource2 with AVISource and see if that solves the audio sync drift, on that note my capture device will show if frames a drop occurs during capture, but... I don't get any dropped frames during capture. However I do get 8 dropped frames after I open VirtualDub or AmaRecTv software, but not during the actual capture.

I get a better understanding now with how you've explained how to capture HuffyUV then compress/encode to FFMPEG FFV1 1.0 in Vdub2, and then use the FFMPEG FFV1 (1.0, 1.1, 1.3?) to deinterlace. I haven't mass captured any tapes yet as I'm still trying to get a workflow. So I can capture in FFmpeg if that works, I don't mind changing my workflow if this will solve the sync issue, again my interlaced 29.97 huffyUV.avi footage is iin sync prior to using QTGMC deinterlace to ProRes.mov codec.

One point I wanted to bring up, I use AmaRecTV 3.1 software to capture as when I used VDub1 or VDub2 I was not getting an end file frame rate with true 29.97fps. I found by using AmaRecTV I did get a locked 29.97 frame rate. Having said that, the reason I bring this up is that I installed the HuffyUV 2.1.1 codec in AmaRecTV, any idea how I could get the FFMPEG FFV1 codec in there to capture direct in the FFMPEG FFV 1.1, 1.2 1.3 ? This would help as I may be able to just capture in FFV1 and then deinterlace using QTGMC to ProRes.mov.

I was thinking I could capture directly to the FFMPEG FFV1 1.0 codec if that will solve my sync issue, so I wouldn't have to capture (huffyUV) then re-encode to FFMPEG FFV1 1.0 and then de interlace to ProRes. But if you're saying I'd still have to re-encode after my first capture for sync audio issue, then it is what it is. I just want my home videos the best format to keep audio and video quality, I have live multicam footage.

Again I appreciate you details in your response, most replies are a one liner of code that leads me struggling to understand.

Regards;
Phil
01-25-2023, 03:31 PM
Free Member

Quote:
I get a better understanding now with how you've explained how to capture HuffyUV then compress/encode to FFMPEG FFV1 1.0 in Vdub2, and then use the FFMPEG FFV1 (1.0, 1.1, 1.3?) to deinterlace.
To clarify, I encode to FFV1 codec using FFMPEG tool, not with Vdub2.
FFMPEG is a command line tool for processing of video and audio files. You write scripts to convert videos.
As an example, that's how I convert HuffYUV to FFV1:
Code:
ffmpeg -i F:/DVHS5_TRUNC.avi -top 1 -i F:/DVHS5_TRUNC_CLEAN.avi.wav -map 0:0 -map 1:0 -c:v ffv1 -threads 12 -g 1 -slices 4 -slicecrc 1 -c:a flac -compression_level 12 -metadata description="True Interlaced, TFF" 
F:/DVHS5_FFV1.mkv
Quote:
One point I wanted to bring up, I use AmaRecTV 3.1 software to capture as when I used VDub1 or VDub2 I was not getting an end file frame rate with true 29.97fps.
I feel like VDub shouldn't have this issue, may be something wrong with capture settings in VDub.

Quote:
One point I wanted to bring up, I use AmaRecTV 3.1 software to capture as when I used VDub1 or VDub2 I was not getting an end file frame rate with true 29.97fps. I found by using AmaRecTV I did get a locked 29.97 frame rate. Having said that, the reason I bring this up is that I installed the HuffyUV 2.1.1 codec in AmaRecTV, any idea how I could get the FFMPEG FFV1 codec in there to capture direct in the FFMPEG FFV 1.1, 1.2 1.3 ? This would help as I may be able to just capture in FFV1 and then deinterlace using QTGMC to ProRes.mov.

I was thinking I could capture directly to the FFMPEG FFV1 1.0 codec if that will solve my sync issue, so I wouldn't have to capture (huffyUV) then re-encode to FFMPEG FFV1 1.0 and then de interlace to ProRes. But if you're saying I'd still have to re-encode after my first capture for sync audio issue, then it is what it is. I just want my home videos the best format to keep audio and video quality, I have live multicam footage.
FFV1 (1.3) is primary for archiving. It could be slow for real time encoding and cause more problems.
If you don't plan to store FFV1 encoded videos later then I'd say don't use it for capture, may be even capture videos uncompressed. Uncompressed video shouldn't have any issues with FFmpegSource2.
I personally didn't try to capture in FFV1 so I can't help on that.
02-01-2023, 10:26 PM
Free Member

Hmm, I've been running into this same issue too. Used AmaRecTV to capture to HuffyUV and then tried to run FFmpeg with the AVI script as input. As the capture was not perfect (some dropped frames) the audio slowly got ahead of the video and became very bad the longer the video.

After days of messing with it I got so frustrated that I pulled out my DV camcorder and captured using it instead (it does analogue to FireWire passthrough). The DV camera actually dropped zero frames on the same tape in the same VCR. But now that I read your post, maybe it was HuffyUV that was the issue all along.. the DV camera output is in a Sony DVCPRO codec that FFmpegSource2 reads no problem.

Have to try using AVISource instead to see if that solves the issue. Actually I did try it but AVISource couldn't read HuffyUV.. maybe I didn't install the codec correctly for AviSynth+ although it works fine in VirtualDub64 and AmaRecTV? The way to bypass that might be to open the HuffyUV AVI in VirtualDub and then Frame Serve that to AviSynth for FFmpeg to encode.
02-03-2023, 08:49 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by numgis View Post
Hmm, I've been running into this same issue too. Used AmaRecTV to capture to HuffyUV and then tried to run FFmpeg with the AVI script as input. As the capture was not perfect (some dropped frames) the audio slowly got ahead of the video and became very bad the longer the video.

After days of messing with it I got so frustrated that I pulled out my DV camcorder and captured using it instead (it does analogue to FireWire passthrough). The DV camera actually dropped zero frames on the same tape in the same VCR. But now that I read your post, maybe it was HuffyUV that was the issue all along.. the DV camera output is in a Sony DVCPRO codec that FFmpegSource2 reads no problem.

Have to try using AVISource instead to see if that solves the issue. Actually I did try it but AVISource couldn't read HuffyUV.. maybe I didn't install the codec correctly for AviSynth+ although it works fine in VirtualDub64 and AmaRecTV? The way to bypass that might be to open the HuffyUV AVI in VirtualDub and then Frame Serve that to AviSynth for FFmpeg to encode.
I found that using different capture devices made a difference in my situation. This was my original workflow:

VHS-C JVC Camera S-Video out
USB DVC-100 Dazzle Capture dongle
Windows 7 OS VirtualDub 1 and 2 to AVI HuffyUV

Using this setup, I always had 6-8 dropped frames even before running video through the DVC-100. At first I thought this wouldn't matter as the dropped frames occurred before running video and recording to the computer. After capture I would review the footage 26min clip and the audio was in sync. It was only when de-interlacing through QTGMC that I noticed my footage wouldn't be consistent frame rate, it wouldn't display a frame rate of 59.94 in AviSynth, it would be slightly less, like I mentioned in my other post above this one, something like 59.83. Even when changing my work flow to capture using AmaRecTV software I was still getting inconsistent frame rate, but during capture it wouldn't drop any more than the initial 6-8 frames:

USB DVC-100 Dazzle Capture dongle
Windows 7 OS AmaRecTV3.1 to AVI HuffyUV

After weeks and hrs of trouble shooting I ordered a new capture device Diamond DV500, and this helped! I don't use VirtualDub at all to capture, I use AmaRecTV3.1 and I found now that I ditched the DVC-100 Dazzle my 26min captures are true 29.97 footage with perfect sync.

For whatever reason even if the footage is in sync as a huffyUV.avi and it shows as 29.97 when you open it in AviSynth if it shows less than that you're deinterlaced footage will slip. May new work flow works great! I had to add a DVD player DMR-15 for modified steady base correction, as when using the internal JVC VHS-C TBC it would splash out a green flash every few seconds during capture.

Panasonic DMR-15
USB Diamond DV500 Capture dongle
Windows 7 OS AmaRecTV3.1 to AVI HuffyUV

Final thoughts and perspective, I too have DV-25 codec hardware (firewire camera such as Panasonic DVX-100b and Canopus DV-110 analog to DV-25 codec) I tried several tests and the footage is not near as clear and crisp as using lossless huffyUV.avi. Yes you'll attain a steady capture but I personally don't like the look of the conversion unless you shot DV footage in it's native DV-25 format. "Actually I did try it but AVISource couldn't read HuffyUV" I too tried this and it didn't work, I had to recapture my footage with a different capture device.

Thanks to everyone who commented on this post, it seems we can all help each other out by posting our errors.

In closing I'd love to add a true TBC to my capture workflow, but they are just way too expensive right now, I wonder if companies will start to manufacture new ones. I bought a Mitsubishi hs-423ur VCR that has S-Video ports and waiting on new belts and will be servicing that machine up. But I'm pumped that I finally am close to a workflow to capture over 40 tapes.

Phil
02-03-2023, 09:55 AM
Free Member

Afaik AVI files can have "drop frames" or something along those lines (not sure the exact process) which can be put there by e.g virtualdub during capture on frame inserts/drops. This can lead to the audio being in sync when playing the original file in e.g VLC, but going out when sent via virtualdub. I've encountered the same thing with my avermedia component/hdmi capture card which has some drop/insert at the start of a recording when using virtualdub while amarectv did not give audio sync issues (though something else is causing it to not allow 25fps capture with it now so have to stick with virtualdub). Newer container formats like mkv and mp4 also support variable framerates which avisynth doesn't support on it's own either so it's a bit up to the source plugin whether the audio is adjusted to compensate or not.

My Video gear overview/test/repair/stuff yt channel http://youtu.be/cEyfegqQ9TU
02-05-2023, 08:40 PM
Free Member

Thanks guys, I figured out my issue with audio and video not being in sync. As Nik92 pointed out, it was all due to using FFmpegSource2() to open my source AVI vs using AviSource().

I originally could not use AviSource() due to it not reading HuffYUV but solved that by installing the 64-bit version of HuffYUV. Now AviSource() can open my captured AVI files directly and there are no more AV sync problems in the final MP4.

Run these commands to install BOTH 32bit and 64bit on the same Windows 64bit machine. Ensure paths point to correct HuffYUV version:

32bit HuffYUV:
Code:
rundll32 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 0 C:\huffyuv-2.1.1\huffyuv.inf
64bit HuffYUV:
Code:
rundll32 C:\Windows\System32\setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 0 C:\huffyuv64\huffyuv.inf
Now I can use my StarTech USB3HDCAP capture device and AmaRecTV again vs having to use the Sony DV camcorder pass-though for captures. Comparing the two, the StarTech produces far better colors than the DV camcorder, although it does skip/add a few frames here and there as I don't have a TBC. But I'm OK with a few hiccups in video as now the AV stays in sync.

Using the DV camcorder in pass-through caused a lot of white clipping and washed our colors as shown in attached screenshots (DV on left, StarTech on right).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20230203_104016.jpg (50.2 KB, 10 downloads)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20230203_104656.jpg (47.3 KB, 6 downloads)