06-14-2014, 06:03 AM
Free Member

Well my grandpa asked if I can make a copy of the old home movies

EHG tapes were used as well as SP mode. I did have some minor TBC issues
first 8 lines were "slightly wavy" was not noticeable on a CRT but I used the HDMI output from my VCR to the tv

Yeah my VCR has HDMI output and a digital tuner.

but I think I worked it out using my Philips Super VHS machine (JVC Professional series clone SR-V10U) ,it has TBC built in so I was able to transfer it to another VHS tape (also Extra High Grade)

I think I ruined the original tape though it's about 22 years old..

the picture quality dropped significantly. after 4 play backs it had two additional drop out that was not there before. not a big deal since I can edit it using the digital file I have.

I have a 1:1 copy on DVD-r (and digital file) 2nd play back...

the main issue is brightness &/or contrast and darkness some of the video is overexposed (biggest issue)

a little is under exposed
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-15-2014, 03:17 PM
Free Member

I'm sorry, but that was extremely difficult to read. Your post is disjointed and lacks the standard structure of paragraphs. It appears to be a stream of consciousness.

Please provide a video sample of the file you want to improve. (Attach to forum if it will fit or upload to Google Drive, MEGA, etc.)

I would also be interested to know what model of VCR you used with HDMI output.
06-18-2014, 01:55 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post
I would also be interested to know what model of VCR you used with HDMI output.
Ditto! I'd like to know too.
06-18-2014, 05:12 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
I guess(!) that what post #1 says is: There's an old crappy noisy home-made tape shot with a VHS camera. The source has levels, contrast, and exposure issues. The tape was played with an SRV-101U JVC clone (Philips), apparently without its tbc turned on. This tape was played into a DVD recorder (??) that appears to be a DVD/VCR combo with HDMI output (?, or maybe recorded to DVD on another machine). The source tape is damaged. The DVD-R is not a "1:1 copy" as stated (it can't be), but is encoded MPEG2 directly from VHS.

Post #1 was thus deciphered by committee (myself and 3 other people). Best we could do. Others welcome.

The O.P. should ask how to cut a brief, otherwise unprocessed sample from MPEG2 and post here, or somewhere.
06-18-2014, 07:49 PM
Free Member

there are only 2 good TBC equiped VCR's that im aware of that have an HDMI out
the JVC HM-DH5U and the JVC HM-DT100U

what exact model Phillips are you using?
ive never heard of a Phillips clone of a JVC SR-V101U
06-18-2014, 08:32 PM
Free Member

Are you saying that you can put VHS in and get HDMI out and record uncompressed? Has anyone done it?
06-18-2014, 09:48 PM
Premium Member

I don't think he's saying that his Philips SVHS machine (rebranded JVC) has HDMI output. I think the O.P. is referring to a newer DVD/VCR combo that has ab HDMI output. I think. Maybe. I saw some of those a few years back, but they were SD-DVD only. Don't recall who made 'em, though.

I guess we'll have to wait and see if the O.P. returns with more info.
06-18-2014, 09:53 PM
Free Member

But I'm curious if the VCRs that have HDMI output for VHS playback do exist.
06-19-2014, 10:09 AM
Free Member

there are many DVD/VHS combos with HDMI out
the later JVC DR's and Panasonic DMR's as well are the junk Magnavox/Funai units and others as well.
they do output the VHS over the HDMI, but it is upscaled and looks not very good
also all of these units have crappy consumer grade non-tbc VCR sides - none are Super-VHS - most are SQPB
i would not use any on these units for tape transfers.

next time i get in the JVC D-VHS unit with HDMI - i will test that out
i dont own any kind on HDMI capture device - just never had the need to capture HDMI - what is the general consensus on a good HDMI capture device - maybe i will pick one up - good to have around anyway
06-19-2014, 10:59 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for the details. I knew I'd seen some HDMI-out combo units somewhere. Just didn't have an interest in them.
Agreed, the tape players in those things are atrocious. There are plenty of project posts in forums to prove it.
07-10-2014, 09:35 AM
Free Member

i just got in a JVC HM-DH5U and can confirm it will output VHS/S-VHS through the HDMI port
07-10-2014, 12:03 PM
Premium Member

Cool. But what does the VHS->HDMI output look like? Anyway, punker stated he used a "Philips Super VHS machine (JVC Professional series clone SR-V10U)". And transferred from that machine to another tape (!). Details of the other VCR wasn't mentioned. So apparently the tape being worked now is the dupe.

Unfortunately punker hasn't supplied any more details.

Last edited by sanlyn; 07-10-2014 at 12:41 PM.
07-15-2014, 03:11 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volksjager View Post
i just got in a JVC HM-DH5U and can confirm it will output VHS/S-VHS through the HDMI port
We knew that already! How does it look, though? That's the burning question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volksjager View Post
what is the general consensus on a good HDMI capture device - maybe i will pick one up - good to have around anyway
I'll suggest a couple that can capture lossless, since I don't much like the H.264 hardware encoders. The Intensity Pro is well-regarded and can also capture analog. It's been around a while so if you're willing to buy used, they've gone for under $100. If buying new, the DeckLink Mini Recorder is a bit cheaper but digital only. It has the advantage of being able to record uncompressed multichannel audio while nearly all other cards are stereo only.

I personally have two AVerMedia cards, the C027 and C127. They have their advantages and disadvantages.
07-18-2014, 02:13 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
I guess(!) that what post #1 says is: There's an old crappy noisy home-made tape shot with a VHS camera. The source has levels, contrast, and exposure issues. The tape was played with an SRV-101U JVC clone (Philips), apparently without its tbc turned on. This tape was played into a DVD recorder (??) that appears to be a DVD/VCR combo with HDMI output (?, or maybe recorded to DVD on another machine). The source tape is damaged. The DVD-R is not a "1:1 copy" as stated (it can't be), but is encoded MPEG2 directly from VHS.
That sounds about right. Sadly, the OP has not come back and posted samples.

Quote:
EHG tapes were used as well as SP mode.
The TDK EHG tapes should be excellent -- one of the best the ever existed, in fact.

Quote:
I did have some minor TBC issues
first 8 lines were "slightly wavy" was not noticeable on a CRT but I used the HDMI output from my VCR to the tv
Yes, that's sounds like a timing/timebase issue. An ES10 on passthrough or JVC S-VHS TBC is likely needed on playback.

Quote:
but I think I worked it out using my Philips Super VHS machine (JVC Professional series clone SR-V10U) ,it has TBC built in so I was able to transfer it to another VHS tape (also Extra High Grade)
So ... it removed the timing error, or it did not?

- If so, great.
- If not, use the ES10 for passthrough.

Quote:
I think I ruined the original tape though it's about 22 years old..
How did you "ruin" it? Tape age does not matter, as tape lifespans are anywhere from 35-65 years. Not the 10-15 stupidity you see from amateur and hack sites.

Quote:
the picture quality dropped significantly. after 4 play backs it had two additional drop out that was not there before. not a big deal since I can edit it using the digital file I have.
"Drop" as in "magnetic dropout" (comets, streaks)? If so, that may not be the tape. The VCR can be to blame. I'd need to know more to give a better diagnosis.

Quote:
the main issue is brightness &/or contrast and darkness some of the video is overexposed (biggest issue)
a little is under exposed
Tape-based exposure is hard to correct in software, since it was bad all along. It's not "tape damage", but rather video damage. The extent at which is can be fixed depends on how bad it is. You need to post some sample clips here.

Hopefully this person comes back to learn more from us.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs