Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-27-2014, 01:38 PM
Free Member

I am working on converting a bunch of VHS taps into digital on the computer (not to DVD). Working in another thread on the process but thought I would put this separate. I may not opt to use this in my workflow, but curious to see how it can or can't improve my video color quality compared to trying to do the same thing thru software since costs for these aren't horrible. A lot of my videos suffer from heavy red overlay on the pictures, sometimes yellow tints to skin tones. Varies throughout the videos as one tape could have several recordings from different times as I mentioned on my other thread. I have the opportunity to get either the Sony XV-C900 or VidiCraft VDM300S. Or none. Both being S-Video based. Would people recommend one over the other?

Thanks.

Steve
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-27-2014, 05:00 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jriker1 View Post
A lot of my videos suffer from heavy red overlay on the pictures, sometimes yellow tints to skin tones. Varies throughout the videos as one tape could have several recordings from different times as I mentioned on my other thread.
...which makes them more difficult to correct during capture. What works for one scene won't work for the other scenes. Red oversaturation, bleed, and shift are common with poor video processing, incorrect IRE during capture or dubbing, low A.C. voltage during tape recording or playback, and other causes. Examples: One problem with most proc amps that work with YUV color is that reducing saturation in one color reduces saturation in the others as well. Most proc amps attempt to correct Red by adding green or blue -- actually you need both to correct red, but you can't add blue and green at the same time in YUV. Green alone turns red yellow, blue alone turns red pink. Such corrections are usually made with RGB controls in more expensive component-level shop gear or in RGB post-processing. Many people do it anyway during during capture, but you'll likely have to tweak later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriker1 View Post
I have the opportunity to get either the Sony XV-C900 or VidiCraft VDM300S. Or none. Both being S-Video based. Would people recommend one over the other?
The SONY unit was designed for recording/dubbing to recording equipment rather than capture, but I guess some use it for capture. Whether the unit reacts quickly enough to avoid capture problems I don't know, maybe some users can help here. The SONY unit weighs 17 pounds. A copy of the manual is attached below or here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/atta...1&d=1414446273 .

The VidiCraft line disappeared years ago, later evolving into the more modern SignVideo outfit. You pretty much have to know about color theory and preserving proper video range before using any of these proc amps. You can make corrections or you can make a mess. An example of problems learning to use proc amps/detailers, especially older ones: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...-proc-amp.html

You'd probably be better off with a more modern unit such as the PA-100. Many shops specialize in refurbishing this favorite proc amp, which has a built-in LED meter for controlling IRE levels that is alone worth the price of the unit whether new or used. http://www.signvideo.com/products/pr...o-proc-amp.htm .

If you don't know what proper "IRE level" means, you'll have a learning curve to go through regardless of which product you use. When correcting color and making other adjustments during capture it's all too easy to clip colors and create invalid luma and chroma values that can't be repaired later. If the proc amp has a sharpener, most would advise that VHS should not be sharpened during capture.

Attached Files
File Type: zip xvc900-1_Operations Manual.zip (919.4 KB, 34 downloads)