12-27-2014, 10:37 PM
Free Member

I've bought 2 unit (AVT 8710) from B&H 2 months ago, i'm having big issue with ghosting on both unit. I can't trust them to transfer VHS. It's ok with HI8 transfer, absolutely horrible with my Sony EIAJ AV-3600.

I've bought a used TVOne 1T-TBC-GL, done a quit test today, seems to have the same ghosting with a VHS.

What should I do with both AVT-8710 from B&H ?

I'll be back on my TBC-3000 as I don't have ghosting problem... (bit of shift in the picture and brightness fluctuation, that's why I was looking for new TBCs)

Thanks for the help.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-28-2014, 01:32 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Just return them, and use DataVideo TBCs instead. Cypress changed something in 2011, and obviously has no intention to fix it.
FYI: TVOne and AVToolbox are just rebadges of Cypress Technology TBCs.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-29-2014, 11:49 AM
Free Member

B&H won't take the AVTs back because it's been 2-3 months that I bought them. If I contact AV Toolbox, they will exchange under warranty (I guess, maybe, they will probably say that there's nothing wrong with the unit ?), and send me units that will have the same issue.

I guess that my only choice is sell them on ebay and loose money ?

Chat with AV Toolbox :

Quote:
Kevin: Hi, how may I help you today?
you: Hi Kevin, I bought 2 AVT-8710 from B&H 2-3 months ago, and I'm having ghosting issue with both unit with VHS, Betacam, HI8. I can't use the units for my transfer business. What should I do ?
you: *Betamax, sorry
Kevin: This really depends on the nature of the ghosting. This can be caused by many things.
Kevin: Usually, the ghosting is caused by interference. This can be sometimes be fixed by better quality cables or by rerouting the cables to minimize the interference from outside sources.
you: I'm using S-Video cable, they are new and good quality. The worst the tape quality is, the worst the ghosting will be. I also have a Datavideo TBC-3000 and never had this problem.
Kevin: High levels of sharpness can cause ringing in the image, so you might try making adjustments to the various proc amp controls, especially the sharpness control.
you: ok
you: this is the only thing that I can try ?
Kevin: If it is not an interference issue, yes, that is what I would look at.
you: ok, i'll try that, thank you.
01-08-2015, 09:12 AM
Free Member

I just purchased the same unit, and while I'm not a professional by any means, I don't see any ghosting issues. Can you throw up an example so I can see the issue you are observing?
01-08-2015, 10:23 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
Two baddies in a row? Unusual, but there are indeed QC issues with the newer AVT's. BetaMax, though should be usually be capped using composite, not s-video.

I assume you tried a capture without the TBC's in circuit? For VHS you mostly need a line level tbc, not a frame tbc -- unless they're copy protected.
01-08-2015, 10:27 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
I assume you tried a capture without the TBC's in circuit? For VHS you mostly need a line level tbc, not a frame tbc -- unless they're copy protected.
No, that's not accurate.

The line TBC is for cleaning the image of timing error.

The frame sync TBC is for non-visual stabilization of the signal, so that digital capture devices can lock onto it. It has nothing to do with copy protection, aside from the fact that "copy protection" is simply an artificial signal error. The frame sync TBC removes all signal errors, both natural and artificial. Without a frame sync TBC, it will still have issues, especially dropped frames.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-08-2015, 10:35 AM
Free Member

I don't have them anymore. I also got some ghosting and herringbone with the TVOne Task 1T-TBC-GL (same manufacturer).

You can check this video: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...TB100.mpg?dl=1

I've got the same result. This link is from the page #3 of this post : http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-...-8710-doa.html

Attached Files
File Type: mpg 2.SRV10U_With_CTB100.mpg (19.33 MB, 29 downloads)
01-08-2015, 10:51 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
No, that's not accurate.

The line TBC is for cleaning the image of timing error.

The frame sync TBC is for non-visual stabilization of the signal, so that digital capture devices can lock onto it. It has nothing to do with copy protection, aside from the fact that "copy protection" is simply an artificial signal error. The frame sync TBC removes all signal errors, both natural and artificial. Without a frame sync TBC, it will still have issues, especially dropped frames.
Yep, I get that and you're right (as usual). I'm just saying take the external tbc out of circuit to compare results without it. But I'm also assuming this was already tried.