01-04-2015, 12:04 PM
Free Member

I don't have a clip or image available at the moment, but habitually as I watch a capture a frame or two appear to bounce up as if it is a tracking error. Should I simply be using a stabilize filter or is there a better filter/script?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-04-2015, 12:09 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Stab() for Avisynth will fix this. I have more than a dozen mods of the Stab.avsi, to better contain false-positive motion. It really depends on the source. If the shift is minor, I'll only restore something like this if it's rare, or if I'm being paid. It may not be worth the effort.

I'm currently working on a restoration -- and have been for more than a year now -- where I have to splice the video into small segments to obtain the best stabilization possible. It is EXTREMELY rare footage, and is an unpaid hobby project.

It's simply a decent of the tape -- not anything else you or your hardware has done.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-04-2015, 12:17 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Stab() for Avisynth will fix this. I have more than a dozen mods of the Stab.avsi, to better contain false-positive motion. It really depends on the source. If the shift is minor, I'll only restore something like this if it's rare, or if I'm being paid. It may not be worth the effort.

I'm currently working on a restoration -- and have been for more than a year now -- where I have to splice the video into small segments to obtain the best stabilization possible. It is EXTREMELY rare footage, and is an unpaid hobby project.

It's simply a decent of the tape -- not anything else you or your hardware has done.
So this bounce is called jitter? I thought jitter was something else.
01-04-2015, 02:59 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
There's jitter (horizontal jitter) -- the waviness in the image. It's a timing error.

And then there's layman "jitter" -- a rapid up/down vertical bouncing of the image. There's another technical name for this, but I always forget it.

We really need to get that wiki up and start adding to it. It's the new site glossary for terms. Most of the video section is me offloading my brain, as well as adding about 20 years worth of notes.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs