digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Restore, Filter, Improve Quality (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/)
-   -   BVP +4 Image Booster vs. DR-1000 Detailer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/6316-bvp-image-booster.html)

sirbyron 01-22-2015 08:48 AM

BVP +4 Image Booster vs. DR-1000 Detailer

I have an Elite Video BVP +4 with an image booster function and was wondering if a dedicated detailer like the SignVideo Dr-1000 or Vidicraft detailers would be better at improving my image from VHS. (or be of extra benefit if I could find one). Thanks.

lordsmurf 01-22-2015 09:21 AM

The Elite Video BVP-4 / BVP-4 Plus proc amp and SignVideo DR-1000 detailer have two completely different functions. There's no way to make a "vs" comparison.

True, the BVP4+ does have the "resolution boost", but it's not the same sort of function as the SignVideo.

The SignVideo details is like the Photoshop unsharp mask filter, and can be turned extremely strong, or used very light.
The BVP4+ resolution feature is more like one of the third-party sharpen filters that does only nuanced sharpening that may not be noticed.

Make sense?

However, unless the VHS is a highly SP mode recording, you may not notice any useful changes.

sirbyron 01-22-2015 07:43 PM

Thanks Lordsmurf. I do enjoy reading your responses throughout the forum(s). Yes, makes perfect sense, thanks.

My main videos in question are 80's and early 90's VHS tapes shot with consumer full size VHS camcorders. They are mainly "EP" tapes. So I am thinking I may not benefit much from a detailer, if at all.

If I do decide to find a detailer anyway, I noticed the Vidicraft I, II, III and IV detailers do not have S-video, only composite. Since I am dealing with old VHS tapes, would I really notice a difference in S and Composite anyways? There is a Vidicraft IVE-200 with "image stabilizer" that looks like combines a detailer with some sort of stabilizer function. Any thoughts on their "image stabilizer"? Sure would love to find a DR1000 though!

btw... here is my equipment thus far (is this the order you would chain them together?):

Panasonic AG1980
Panasonic ES10 recorder (for pass through)
BVP Proc Amp
JVC DRM10S recorder to burn.

If I get a detailer do I just experiment where to put it in the chain or is there a preferred way?

Thanks again. ;)

lordsmurf 01-22-2015 07:55 PM

Yes, s-video vs composite does make a big difference in chroma quality. Composite has lots of crosstalk. The Vidicraft is wholly inferior to the SignVideo and Studio1. It's better than nothing, when sharpening is needed, but does add image errors since it's just composite. The main reason people like Vidicraft is because it's cheap gear.

Remember to ONLY use the BVP4+ when needed. It's not a general always-on workflow piece. Like anything else, it can harm a signal as well.

Same for the ES10.

What I see missing is a good external TBC -- these days, the TBC-1000 (used from eBay).

Good VCR, good recorder, use both myself. :)

sirbyron 01-22-2015 08:46 PM

Yes, a TBC is also what I'm hunting. Been looking for the TBC1000 but I found a TBC3000 which I might purchase even though its overkill for my situation, its not a bad price considering its available. I think I might keep waiting for a DR1000 to pop up since they seem to be considerably better than Vidicraft..plus for the s-video option. Also looking at a JVC HR-s7900 and a SR-V101US (one of the two) that I might add to my setup.

Maybe I'll go ahead with the TBC first. My videos are pretty solid...not much jumping around that I can notice but with a TBC in line it might surprise me how much better or smoother they look.

I noticed a post years back where you preferred hardware over software/computer. Just curious, still feel that way after all the software improvements? I'm a "hands on" person myself. My forte is audio but I'm trying to venture into this video thing with my own stuff ... it is fun... but can be expensive ...just like music! :)

Once again, really appreciate your input!

lordsmurf 01-22-2015 08:56 PM

Hardware is still your first line of defense.