Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-15-2015, 09:17 PM
Free Member

I'm capturing with a JVC S7900, AVT-8710, and Hauppage USB Live 2, using mencoder on Linux to just directly copy the stream.

For filtering and compressing, I've been using Avidemux. The real issue is that for videos that I capture that I don't intend to put on DVD, I like to deinterlace them because they are usually viewed on computer monitors or telescreens that don't play nicely with interlaced video.

I know about the arguments about having the video player do that work, but generally speaking that tends to look a little worse than a filter applied to the video in my opinion - and some of these may end up on youtube.

I've been using the decomb telecide filter with no pulldown, per the avidemux wiki, and am wondering why I end up with combing on frames with motion, such as the screencap below. One friend suggested that maybe I'm processing the fields in the wrong order - but I'm not sure.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-16-2015, 04:59 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
It looks as if something is wrong with the initial capture file. I need to see a sample clip.

For disc, yes, interlaced is best. Even for TV, interlaced is best (and let the TV/player do the deinterlacing). However, for streaming, progressive is required, therefore you must deinterlace interlaced footage. Using the best possible method is suggested, and that means QTGMC in Avisynth.

Why are you using telecide?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
02-16-2015, 08:35 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
It looks as if something is wrong with the initial capture file. I need to see a sample clip.

For disc, yes, interlaced is best. Even for TV, interlaced is best (and let the TV/player do the deinterlacing). However, for streaming, progressive is required, therefore you must deinterlace interlaced footage. Using the best possible method is suggested, and that means QTGMC in Avisynth.

Why are you using telecide?
It is possible that the capture has something wrong with it; if so that'd likely be the old tape more than anything else?

QTGMC may not be available in linux?

All that, and I'm not really a professional by any means on this, I haven't capped in a year or two so I'm not sure what's changed.
02-16-2015, 09:06 AM
Free Member

Just curious, what MMPR tape are you capturing?
02-16-2015, 09:07 AM
Free Member

It's an old Fox Kids broadcast recording. I already have them done, with those visual issues. I posted them on myspleen.
02-16-2015, 09:29 AM
Free Member

Hmm.
There is a Linux port of AviSynth, AvxSynth, so deinterlacing via QTGMC should (not positive) be possible.
02-16-2015, 09:34 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR_Media_Info View Post
Hmm.
There is a Linux port of AviSynth, AvxSynth, so deinterlacing via QTGMC should (not positive) be possible.
I tried to build it earlier, there's a buld error currently that isn't my system's fault Apparently it will run in wine too though.

I hear AviSynth does run fine on Linux, too.

Either way, since my capture device always uses 720x480, you think I should crop/blacken and then resize to 720? Until now I was going to 704x576, but 640x480 makes more logical sense unless I go to DVD.

Basically, anything I encode that doesn't go to DVD will end up being played via VLC or XBMC/Kodi, most likely, so really I guess I have no reason to deinterlace at all, maybe just denoise, crop/blacken, and resize...I just tend to pre-deinterlace because filters built into Avisynth and Avidemux tend to do a better job than on the fly with players.

I speak as a n00b who has flown by the seat of his pants so far...

Would this script be a good place for me to experiment? I'm a programmer, just don't usually use python style scripts:
http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/news...-avisynth.html
02-17-2015, 07:34 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Deinterlacers get better over time. So leave it interlaced.
If you need a deinterlaced version, make a copy, use that, and don't process the master file.

There are signs that it was resized while interlaced, which makes a mess. I'd need to see a video clip.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
02-17-2015, 07:43 PM
Free Member

QTGMC actually fixes it...so thank you for the pointer in that direction!
02-22-2015, 07:00 PM
Free Member

Sections of MMPR are pure 60Hz interlaced, including the logo shown.

Additionally, since you're including commercials and bumpers, it doesn't make sense to IVTC. A lot of that content is also going to be 60Hz.

If you don't want to encode interlaced, you could do "double-frame-rate" deinterlacing and encode your H.264 at 60fps. Deinterlacing at 30fps is a bad idea though. The sections that were originally 24fps will stutter with a duplicate frame, 1-in-5.
02-22-2015, 07:01 PM
Free Member

That's exactly what I ended up doing...

Thanks!