Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-02-2015, 09:03 PM
Free Member

Some additional details about what I have done so far and doubts that I still have

1. I installed Cedocida DV Codec ,VirtualDub can use it instead of the internal DV codec ( Microsoft ?) for DV files decompression. I think the results are better than with the internal codec, however Canopus/Grass Valley or Main Concept DV codecs could eventually be superior . Grass Valley as 2 codecs pack -6.02, 14-02-11 (XP,Vista ,Windows 7 ) playback only and Grass Valley codecs pack 7.31.2939( windows 7, windows 8/8.1) all of them including among others DV codecs.
I´m tempted to test it but I have not done it so far. Main Concept as a paid version but I think it comes also included in Premiere Pro. Any idea if Grass Valley DV codec will be the right choice for DV codec or could it be Cedocida or this is not an issue that should be given importance?

2. I´m using QTGMC deinterlace now and I’m completely convinced, however I´m still experimenting some complementary functionalities. For PC playback as it was suggested, not using the SelectEven (initially experience) to get a 50 fps file bring advantages avoiding judder and motion problems. However there are other parameters related to motion analysis, Sharpness, denoising , etc that for now I’m still not aware if I must use them or not.Should I include some of this parameters in the script ?

3. VirtualDub Filter Chain- with the original video file opened through the QTGGMC script I add a chain of filters with the present order – general convolution, Xsharper, Temporal Smoother, Levels, HSV. Are these the most indicated filters for this type of DV files and is this the correct chain? Am I over /under using filtering.

4. Saving to MP4 (version for pc playback) – which are considered good parameters for encoding quality MPEG-4?

5. For some source material due to problems associated with zoom and panning I will need a Deshaker, is the version from Gunnar Thalin one of the best?

6. Related to my problems associated with losses control and namely for the DVD/Blu-Ray version (I am not to worried if a Blu-Ray or up-scaling proves not interesting for SD footage –that where ideas to discuss and see if they were viable) what will be the better applications workflow. Virtualdub (DV decompression and filtering)-NLE editor- Encoder-Authoring getting the most specialized application for any and each job, but eventually increasing losses and conversions or for instance using a more generalist application like TMPGEnc Authoring works 5 or even Premiere? Are there any rules to try to limit colorspace conversions and formats ? Or no need to be worried and use what application I want as the eventual losses and conversions are minimal and not noticeable.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg libav_param.jpg (191.8 KB, 12 downloads)

Last edited by AJAX1; 07-02-2015 at 09:15 PM.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-02-2015, 10:20 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
Oh,my. So many questions in one post. I can get to some of them later. I'll say right away, however:

Don't be misled into thinking that Adobe gives you the genuine, full-fledged MainConcept encoder. It's more of a dumbed-down somewhat crippled version, very similar to that in Vegas Pro. That doesn't mean it's garbage. But there are free encoders and TMPGEnc's product line giving MPEG/h264 results that are as good or better.

VirtualDub DeShaker: not too difficult to use after your first try, but it does soften a bit and you'll have to crop off parts of your image on all 4 sides and then resize (another quality hit if done in Virtualdub), or crop off parts and apply border masks to maintain proper frame size.

Before I close up for the night and try to tackle your catalog of questions, I should post these 720p versions of your original .avi posts. By deinterlacing and keeping all frames, you could get decent AVCHD or BD or PC playback by resizing to 960x720 and adding 160 pixels to each side to get 1280x720. Of course, this plays at 16:9/50fps with a 4:3image inside the frame. On the other hand, on a 16x9 display the 1440x1080 bigger 4:3 version plays with side pillars anyway.

The dark Sample2 was a real horror. There's nothing "down there" except darkness. Trying to pull up some tiny details also dredges up a ton of noise. Getting rid of the noise endangers whatever detail one can find. For the two 720p mp4's attached I used Avisynth, which offered the 16-bit dithering and contrast masking needed for the underexposed video. The daylight scene is also tricky, because the camera's Autogain continually changed luminance levels, and because line and edge flutter are rather prominent. I used an Avisynth line smoother, but anything stronger would have softened the image too much.

I felt that your modified Sample2, while a thorough job of denoising, had an uncomfortably stretched contrast range. Some added-in controlled noise would have given a more natural look. The only VirtualDub filters I used here were CamcorderColorDenoise and ColorMill (only for the dark Sample2). To control levels, gamma, etc., I worked in YUV in Avisynth. If one waits until conversion to RGB to work with levels and contrast, it's too late to avoid clipping and crushing. Your Sample2 has crushed darks and clipped brights, some of it originating in the camera, but not all of it.

Colorspace conversion: it's best to avoid it altogether, but that's usually impractical. General Rule #2 is to start working in the original colorspace until you can do no more inside that matrix, then move to the next colorspace and do the same, but don't go randomly back and forth. I use Avisynth and sometimes the dither plugin package for colorspace conversion when possible. Colorspace methods differ for interlaced, progressive, and other factors, as well as for SD and HD. Avisynth has plenty of commands for handling conversions. Although I use RGB filterts in VDub for various reasons (usually color), I save VDub's output to YV12 for encoding unless I have other work to do.

Back later.

Attached Files
File Type: mp4 Sample1_720p_50.mp4 (15.62 MB, 23 downloads)
File Type: mp4 Sample2_720p_50.mp4 (21.37 MB, 16 downloads)
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: AJAX1 (07-03-2015)
07-03-2015, 04:03 PM
Premium Member

To address some of your other comments and questions:

DV codecs: I've worked on projects with samples using all the DV codecs mentioned. But I don't use DV myself. All Dv codecs look petty much the sme to me and seem to have the same pros and cons. DV in most consumer cameras doesn't seem to handle interlace or motion well -- it's a headache to wok with in that regard, butt DV wasn't designed for extensive restoration or re-encoding to other formats. Most of the codcs you mention are installed on my system, including Cedocida and Cineform and maybe one or two I don't remember.

QTGMC: it has extensive poarameters to modify its operation. Most users are not aware that QTGMC isnt basically designed as a denoiser: denoising and other cleanup are byproducts. IF you look at the support files it uses, you'll find that almost all of them are standalone filters in their own right with a ton of their own parameters. Most of QTGMC's settings are either named the same as those parameters or otherwise address them indirectly. For example, the faster modes of use FFT3D for basic denoising, but slower modes use the stronger dfttest. Other parameters adjust the operation or correct the deficiencies sometimes found in those filters, such as blurring and/or ghosting with high values in FFT3D and dfttest.

Of course, reading thru QTGMC's html is sheer intimidation for those who are new to it. There is even more information in the avsi script itself, where you find tables listing the various preset modes and how those QTGMC parameters are set for each mode and each operation. But the .avsi isn't readable when opened with Notepad. Intsead, open the .avsi with Windows Wordpad, save the file as QTGMC.txt, then open the .txt version in Notepad and disable Word Wrap. The complete avsi script is 963 lines of text. The actual function code begins on line 62, but below it you'll see hundreds of lines that are interspersed comments. Paramater settings for each "preset" mode begin on line 153. Looking at that table, you'll see that some of the Repair modes "Rep0, Rep1, TR1, etc.) are very low or turned off in the fastest modes of "very fast, "ultra fast", etc., but increase in value for the slower modes from "medium" thru "Very slow". The presets are handy as sets of optimized components. But what if you want the fast operation and less denoising of faster modes but more accurate motion interpolation found in the slower modes? What you can do is specify a "fast" or "very fast" preset, then add settings that increase values in the motion interp settings from slower modes. Sometimes the slowest presets do too much denosiing, so you have settings that retain and restore adjustable amounts of the original noise to keep results from looking too "plastic".

For the daylight scene I used the "fast" preset. Likely I'd get a sharper image using "medium" or "slow", but it looked rather overfiltered to me (there are ways around that). I used "slow" for the night scene, then still had to clean up low-frequency noise in the darks with MDegrain3, DeBlock_QED and some other measures, then prevent banding with special filters to restore a bit of controlled noise. One thing I didn't -- and maybe couldn't -- fix was the line flicker in the daylight shot. It's obvious in the white window frames, where I did clean some of it, but look closely at the second half of the clip and you'll see subtle line flicker in the shadowed gray cobblestones. It's there whether the clip is interlaced or not. A few Avisynth filters can clean it, I just didn't get that far. Another problem with the daylight shot is luma and gamma changes by the camera. Some Avisynth plugins can help stabilize it but they're a hassle to optimize. You can see a basic bright luma change in the original, interlaced Sample1.avi. Run the clip slowly in VirtualDuib and look the way the clouds and sky change starting about frame 135 and again at about frame 180.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJAX1 View Post
3. VirtualDub Filter Chain- with the original video file opened through the QTGGMC script I add a chain of filters with the present order – general convolution, Xsharper, Temporal Smoother, Levels, HSV. Are these the most indicated filters for this type of DV files and is this the correct chain? Am I over /under using filtering.
The Sample2a.avi clip does look over-filtered. It also has crushed darks, some hot-spot highlights, and some oversharpening in a few areas. But altogether, other than being slightly darker than the original, it's not a bad effort.

I'm not certain how convolution filters work, but if you have some insight into them you're ahead of many of us (LOL!). Many Avisynth plugins use these filters internally, but I've never deciphered them. In general, the same filter set won't work for everything. But I suppose you realize this. Your filter sequence sharpens before denoising, so you're sharpening noise. One should denoise and do other cleanup before sharpening or resizing, otherwise you are resizing unwanted defects along with everything else.

I used Camcorder Color Denoise to reduce dark noise further and ColorMill for just a touch of blue in the the darks in Sample2. I used no VirtualDub filters in Sample1. For both videos I monitored everything in VirtualDub with the ColorTools histogram in the output pane.

The differences in filter methods can be illustrated in several ways. But to give a specific example:

The images below are from the posted Sample2a.avi as modified in your VirtualDub setup (on the left), and Sample2_720 before resizing (on the right):

A = upper left corner from Sample2a.avi, as posted. The upper-left sky is near zero black, actually a little darker than the original Sample2. One light beam is very dim, the other isn't visible. At near black, the noise that's really there isn't easily seen. But TV display would be somewhat brighter and the encoder will make the noise more visible as artifacts.

B = the same upper left corner from Sample2_720p. The sky is brighter, with a little more visible detail in the sky and chimneys.

C = Blue sky area of Sample2a, brightened for a blue average of RGB 40 to 80. Notice mottling in dark and brighter blues. If you had raised the brightness of the darkest sky, the mottled blues would be easily visible, The mottling and broken color is low-level CMOS noise. Temporal smoother is a nice filter for grain, but it doesn't address low-level noise. After encoding, this mottling would move and "simmer" in motion, like vague blue blobs dancing in near darkness. You can also see red fringing (from the sharpener) and dark red over saturation in the building. The light beams look a bit oversharpened, more like lazer beams. But on a big screen it might not matter.

D = Sample2_720p sky raised to the same blue brightness. Plugins for debanding and block noise, and fine grain added afterward, make the sky look smoother and stable. Low-level CMOS noise is really difficult to subdue. It will never disappear completely without destroying much of the original image. In any case, this kind of noise is less visible in a still image than in motion, and encoders can handle fine, stable grain better than they can cope with dancing blobs.

Except for 2 filters, all was done in Avisynth. My Avisynth filter chain went this way:

Sample1:
- SmoothLevels for RGB 16-235, with dithering to reduce banding effects in large flat areas.
- Santiag, to reduce line twitter and aliasing.
- QTGMC ("fast", but "medium" would have been better). All frames retained.
- Spline36rezise, kept at 720 width but 1/2 original height, for line tweitter.
- Spline36resize (960x720)
- TemporalSoften, for some DV mosquito noise in shadow areas
- LSFMod (masked sharpening)
- AddBorders(160,0,160,0), adds 160 pixels left and right, for 1280x720. Not needed for PC-only.
- ColorMatrix (Rec601 SD to Rec709 HD color matrix)

Sample2 was more difficult. Had to be done in two steps, QTGMC being the in the first step:
- ContrastMask to raise dark data gamma in the range RGB 16 to about RGB 100
- Highlighter to raise some midtone values while taming brightest highlights.
- ColorYUv to offset all values by -3, reduce red contrast, slightly raise dark blue valuies.
- ColorYUV(off_y=-3,cont_v=-30,off_u=2)
- SmoothTweak raised saturation about 15%, with dithering to prevent chroma gaps.
- SmoothLevels, again to retain darkest darks, raise midtone gamma slightly, tame highlights.
- santiag for line twitter and some broken lines in the background building horizontal edges.
- QTGMC(slow)

- DeBlock_QED for low-level block noise and mottling in darks.
- MDegrain3 for motion-compensating denoising, especially in the darks, and avoiding macroblocks.
- Dither_Resize 16-bit resizing to 960x720
- GradFun3 in dithered 16-bit mode to smooth block noise and gradients in darks.
- TemporalSoften to slightly smooth noise during camera motion.
- aWarpSharp2 to tighten edges blurred by underexposure.
- LSFMod, for masked sharpening similar to Photoshop, Premiere Pro, etc.
- Dither plugin for 16-bit conversion YV12 -> to -> rgb32 for Virtualdub
- Load VirtualDub CamCorder Color Denoise, settings pre-determined in VirtualDub
- Load VirtualDub ColorMill, settings pre-determined in VirtualDub
- Dithered 16-bit conversion back to YV12
- AddGrainC, adds fine film-like grain to mask dark and sky noise, prevent "plastic" look.
- AddBorders, 160 pixels each side for 1280x720 frame. Not needed for PC-only.
- ColorMatrix (Rec601 SD to Rec709 HD color matrix)

The difference in results are below (Sample2a.avi = upper image, sample2_720 = bottom). The darks could be made a bit brighter, but the problem is the poor man near the camera in the lower left. He is at RGB 100 or so, right in the middle of the spectrum. Raising midtones would reveal more dark objects, but the man in the lower left would be washed out.

Sample2a.avi

Sample2_720:

On the other hand, everything in personal video restoration is relative. People tend to take up techniques they like, or discard others, to suit their purpose. The idea is to show that there are many possibilities and that some filters exist for very specific problems. There are many possibilities.

Quote:
4. Saving to MP4 (version for pc playback) – which are considered good parameters for encoding quality MPEG-4?
Everyone experiments to find their optimum settings. There's no single answer. mp4 or mkv (both are containers, not formats) and h264 looks good with this type of video at variable bitrate targets of about 8000 to 10000 target, and 15000 max. HD frames require more bitrate than SD, usually. Some videos look well with less, others might need more. I'm using TMPGEnc for the samples posted here. Others use base x264 with detailed GUI interfaces, but that's a learning curve. x264 and other h264 encoders are a lot more complicated than other codecs, but TMPGEnc usually gives a usable range of options.

Quote:
5. For some source material due to problems associated with zoom and panning I will need a Deshaker, is the version from Gunnar Thalin one of the best?
It's very good, but it does have issues concerning border changes, as most such filters do. Avisynth versions exist, with similar results. Later I'll try to work up a DeShaker demo to show what I mean. Some videos with imperfect camera motion don't always need deshakers.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sample2a-avi vs Sample2_720p.jpg (58.4 KB, 157 downloads)
File Type: jpg Sample2a.jpg (68.9 KB, 156 downloads)
File Type: jpg Sample2_720 _before_resize.jpg (79.6 KB, 156 downloads)
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: AJAX1 (07-03-2015), BmacSWA (02-08-2024)
07-03-2015, 08:37 PM
Free Member

Thank you so much Sanlyn

I made an H264/AVI test file ( for PC playback) with the day light sample1 that to my eyes doesn’t seem too bad, however it got a bit rate of 46.5 Mbps I have to do it with 15Mbps or so . It is perhaps a little to over sharpened but I tend to prefer images with more contrast , more saturation and more sharpened .I tested it in a large high definition TV set ( Pc connected through HDMI ) and it seems ok and better than the original DV file more particularly in what definition / detail is concerned. I think I can still improve the results somewhat particularly with some of the statements / recommendations included in your recent answers that I’m going to test .

I used a similar QTGMC script slightly modified

AviSource("c:\sample1.avi")
QTGMC( Preset="Slower",TR2=2 )

and after used the virtualdub filters already indicated by me ( I don’t have yet changed filter order to avoid denoise and other cleanup after sharpening)

One unrelated question , can I make a DL DVD instead of a normal DVD with TMPGenc or TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 5 with a higher bit rate more than 15 Mbps. If possible and DVD players accept it ( perhaps not ) could it give a significant increase in quality ?

Attached Files
File Type: avi Sample1_H264.avi (72.83 MB, 11 downloads)
07-03-2015, 09:23 PM
Premium Member

You can use any MPEG2 encoder to encode for DL-DVD disc. TMPGEnc Mastering Works will, I believe, set it with basic authoring and organize it for DL disc. I use TMPGenc Authoring Works for authoring and burning.

The maximum bitrate that is valid for DVD is 9300. The maximum GOP size for PAL DVD is 18 frames. Audio must be 48Khz, not 44KHz as with DV. Most MPEG encoders can manage those settings.
07-04-2015, 04:17 AM
Remembered

4:2:2... will presumably be able to pass the ball only in the PC, in the TV this will not go
See picture 1

With Mpeg2 and high bit rates, Intra DC Precision on 10 put

Max bit advises =9800 kbps [incl. audio and subtitle]

Standard GOP [PAL] M=3 / N=12
NTSC N=3 / M=15

If mpeg2 on DVD always all GOP close.
See picture 2

Attached Images
File Type: png 1.png (25.2 KB, 12 downloads)
File Type: jpg 2.testvideo.jpg (80.0 KB, 9 downloads)

Last edited by Goldwingfahrer; 07-04-2015 at 04:32 AM.
07-04-2015, 09:31 PM
Free Member

Thanks for the info Goldwingfaher

Well the 4.2.2 was only an experience probably not adding value and only incrementing the bit rate and file size. However the TV set did not complain, and the perceived quality was good, but I agree if I have it done in 4.2.0 the perceived quality would probably be equal.

The sample is only one of many tests I have done to try to identify the best format for pc playback ( and best parameters for encoding ) and which of them MP4 / H264 will be better for the purpose .
07-06-2015, 10:09 AM
Premium Member

There is no "best" encoding format for PC playback, other than encoding everything as progressive (which usually results in larger files than interlaced video). Because your preference is for oversaturation and oversharpening artifacts, as well as a contrast range beyond the limits of most common formats, almost all encoders will use more bitrate to define those elements in a video and will clip over-brights and crushed darks. Oversaturation, oversharpening, motion, and larger frames have higher bitrate requirements, and more bitrate has higher CPU requirements. h264 tends to over filter, so that would be the choice to give you the plastic look you prefer. h264 is commonly used for BluRay/AVCHD formats, and for mp4 and mkv containers. Many factors are involved, so you will have to make your own choice.

Officially BluRay, AVCHD, and MPEG have GOP, bitrate, buffer size, and other limits specific to those formats. mp4 and mkv are less strict, but not without certain limits. Sloppy encoding can result in problems such as bitrate spikes that cause stutter and freezing, etc., and excessive contrast can cause monitor "flashing", flutter and other problems. BluRay and AVCHD requirements for MPEG and h264 are designed to provide stable playback on PCs and as well as Tvs, so observing the standard limits can help with those formats as well as mp4 and mkv. For h264 encoding: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=154533

If you resize or crop video, be aware of restrictions concerning colorspace, frame structure, and elements. http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Crop. Video frames must be at least mod-8 in all dimensions. The color matrix for standard definition video is Rec601, for HD it's Rec709. Many encoders will correct the matrix for you, some will not.

Attached are four mp4 samples using DeShaker. Two samples show how DeShaker has changed borders to do its work of deshaking and leveling. These samples show how the 4 borders move if uncorrected. Note especially the side and bottom borders, which change during play. The "Fix" samples show borders masked to attain stable borders and the correct frame size. You can crop and resize if you want but because border corrections are not even, the aspect ratio of the final resized image won't be correct.
Sample 1 clip:
- Sample1_DeShake_Borders.mp4 = DeShaker correction showing border changes.
- Sample1_DeShake_BordersFix.mp4 = DeShaker correction showing borders masked and stable.
Sample 2 clip:
- Sample2_DeShake_Borders.mp4 = DeShaker correction showing border changes.
- Sample2_DeShake_BordersFix.mp4 = DeShaker correction showing borders masked and stable.

You could make DeShaker stronger, but you would lose more of the image. Sample2 gamma has to be raised because much of the video was too dark for DeShaker to read some areas of the image.

Attached Files
File Type: mp4 Sample1_DeShake_Borders.mp4 (8.88 MB, 16 downloads)
File Type: mp4 Sample1_DeShake_BordersFix.mp4 (8.85 MB, 14 downloads)
File Type: mp4 Sample2_DeShake_Borders.mp4 (9.91 MB, 12 downloads)
File Type: mp4 Sample2_DeShake_BordersFix.mp4 (10.03 MB, 9 downloads)

Last edited by sanlyn; 07-06-2015 at 10:25 AM.
07-06-2015, 09:59 PM
Free Member

What is the most correct chain position for the DeShaker filter . In the last Position?
07-07-2015, 03:53 AM
Premium Member

You mean you haven't tried it yet? LOL!

Use DeShaker by itself.

I have added a simple mask over the changed borders to illustrate how the image changes after leveling. But most users would save the output, crop away unbalanced borders in Avisynth and use AddBorders() to add border pixels and center the image in the frame, before sending the video to the encoder.
07-07-2015, 04:17 AM
Remembered

So as a first, filter with QTGMC or TGMC.
Then material is given as progressive.
now change resolution if one needs.
Deshaker
Addborders ()
Encode in MP4