08-27-2015, 04:48 PM
Free Member

Just ran across this, don't know if people know about it, but some of the filters are updated very recently.

https://github.com/jpsdr/Filtres_JPSDR
The following users thank jmac698 for this useful post: friendly_jacek (07-28-2017), lordsmurf (08-28-2015)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-27-2015, 09:12 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
What are we looking at here?
- descriptions of what they do
- how to use them

At first glance, it appears there's zero documentation, and it's just source code. Correct?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-28-2015, 01:27 AM
Remembered

I only see the source code

Quote:
- descriptions of what they do
- how to use them
but is himself explains ... Settings and then ....... "Show preview"

Example, see photos

[I have not the latest version of IPSDR]

Attached Images
File Type: png IPSDR.png (79.3 KB, 48 downloads)
File Type: jpg Filter-preview.jpg (57.8 KB, 50 downloads)
08-28-2015, 05:13 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
If you go to the link page https://github.com/jpsdr/Filtres_JPSDR , look near the top of the page, just above the horizontal red border, and you'll see several smaller links in very tiny, teeny-weeny, ittsy-bittsy characters that say "Commits", "Branch", "Release", "Contributor".

Clink on "Release", which brings you to: https://github.com/jpsdr/Filtres_JPSDR/releases. On that page you will find three blue links, two to source code and one link to the collecvtion of .vdf filters which are in Filtres_JPSDR_20150825.7z

Download that file and unzip it, and you will get two main subfolders "x64", "x86". Inside are more subfolders with various .vdf versions for XP and win7, etc. There are no instructions or descriptions. Each .vdf version contains the same collection JPSDR filters. I haven't found documentation of any kind on the main link page or the download. Or anywhere else. Yet.

This is the sort of thing that turns people off to video restoration. No wonder they use Power Director.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: friendly_jacek (07-28-2017), lordsmurf (08-28-2015)
08-28-2015, 11:21 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
< mile-long instructions >
Thanks, sanlyn.

Quote:
This is the sort of thing that turns people off to video restoration.
Or better yet, why many are turned off by GitHub. SourceForge is/was better for things like this. GitHub is mostly for web applications. Even then, it's disorganized and user-unfriendly.

So, direct link = https://github.com/jpsdr/Filtres_JPSDR/releases

And I'm attaching a copy of the current download here...

Attached Files
File Type: 7z Filtres_JPSDR_20150825.7z (1.96 MB, 58 downloads)

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: friendly_jacek (07-28-2017), sanlyn (08-28-2015)
08-28-2015, 11:37 AM
Premium Member

Yep, thanks for attaching. It was too early in the a.m. for me to think about doing that myself.
08-28-2015, 09:55 PM
Free Member

JPSDR Filter Pack Documentation
by jmac698

Note that many of these filters are technical and you need to know what you're doing. They will be obvious to those familiar with video.

Add Border v1.2.4
Adds a border of a size specified in pixels. The colour of the border is determined by the values in Red, Green, and Blue.

AutoYUY2 v1.6.0
This upsamples 4:2:0 video, which has one colour common to 4 pixels in a square, to 4:2:2, which has one colour common to every two horizontal pixels. This can cause chroma upsampling error (CUE) if a progressively sampled area is upsampled interlaced, or destruction of interlacing (DOI) if an interlaced area is upsampled progressively. Choose the convert mode as progressive or interlaced if you know your video is one of the two, or automatic if it varies across the frame or you aren't sure. The result will be a video with better colour resolution. The output format selection is to be compatible with the eventual codec you use to encode the result.

Chroma Shift v2.0.2
This will shift either dimension of the colour value in any of the four cardinal directions by a specified number of pixels. One example of use, is to make colours appear closer to the edge of objects. In analog video, the colour resolution can be much lower than the luma, making an appearance of the colour spilling to the right of borders. Shifting the Cb and Cr equally a few pixels to the left should center the colour on the border. Other directions may help in rare circumstances.

ColorSpaceConvert 1.4.0
This converts between colour standards. The input is the assumed colour standard of the input video, while the output is the colour standard you want to convert to. An example use case is when the input video is a BT.601 xvid file, and you want to encode it onto an MPEG2 DVD, you must select BT.601 as input and BT.709 as output. The difference in colours is slight, but most noticable on green objects. The colour standard of old analog capture cards was usually BT.601 and should always be converted to encode to DVD.

Correct Frame Rate Blur v3.0.1
This automatic filter has no options. It's probably meant to remove blending between frames which can occur in frame rate conversions between NTSC and PAL.

Cross Conversion Correction v1.3.0
My guess is that this is a frame blending removal filter. Considering the author is French, they live in a PAL country, and cross conversions would mean conversions from NTSC to PAL. In that case the frame blending proceeds in a regular pattern, and the value Phase would specify where in the pattern the video starts. You should adjust this value until the video appears clear. It ranges from 0 to 5, which refers to the 6 frame pattern.

Deinterlace v4.2.0
This is for converting interlaced video to progressive. Blend fields does as it says, resulting in smooth motion but blurry video. Interpolate attempts to make sharper video. Yadif uses the yadif algorithm which is adaptive and works well.
Interpolate and Yadif have the additional options to set field order or discard fields. If you discard a field, this is equivalent to a BOB mode. The field order for most analog capture cards in BFF.
File mode is for specifying a text file for how to deinterlace each frame.

Field Shift v3.0.3
This changes the field order in interlaced video. File mode is a text file listing decisions for each frame. It essentially swaps every pair of lines. The option Top-Top probably shifts the nearest temporal pair of Top lines only, and so on.

IVTC Manual v3.1.2
IVTC v5.2.0

These convert film encoded as interlaced video back to progressive film frames. It can also deinterlace interlaced parts.

Median v2.4.4
This is a median noise filter. This type of noise filter is good at reducing salt and pepper noise. You can choose the pattern of pixels to examine as square, horizontal, or vertical, the radius in pixels, and the threshold at which to replace the center pixel with the median of the pattern. You can set these parameters individually for luma and each colour channel. Increase the size for a stronger effect. The vertical pattern should be good at removing the comet noise from VHS.

Remove Frames v.1.2.4
This is an editing function, to remove a pattern of frames in a recurring way. It would be used for example after a BOB deinterlace to remove the duplicate film frames which may result from that process. The default is offset 3, 1 frame removed there, every 5 frames. This is a common pattern from deinterlacing film. This has been tested, and will remove frames 3, 8, 13, etc.

RGB Convert v1.4.0
This will convert an input RGB video into a YUV format. You can select the colourspace and output format, for use with various codecs.

Sat/Hue/Bright/Contr v2.9.2
Standard colour adjustments. The colourspace should be set to that of the input video. There is an option to allow full range video values.

Widescreen v2.3.3
This will blank out parts of the top and bottom of the video with black. It is a letterboxing filter. The output is the same dimensions as the input. It seems to be buggy with the bottom amount only padding the colour channels.
The following users thank jmac698 for this useful post: friendly_jacek (07-28-2017), lordsmurf (08-28-2015)
08-28-2015, 09:57 PM
Free Member

I could figure out more about what some of these do, but it might be easier to just write the author, although if his English isn't good, I may as well reverse engineer it.
08-28-2015, 10:09 PM
Site Staff | Video

The Deinterlace II and VHS I-III interested me the most. I've not yet had time to just install them and test.

08-28-2015, 10:16 PM
Free Member

I didn't see those included in the VDF
VHS filters usually address noise, chroma noise, rainbowing, sharpening, colour shift. There's plenty of good deinterlacing solutions already.
08-28-2015, 10:30 PM
Site Staff | Video

I want QTGMC in VirtualDub. That would be a game changer.

07-28-2017, 03:01 PM
Free Member

I just came across this while googling for median filter for dropouts. I also found this comment by the author here: https://www.neatvideo.com/nvforum/vi...bd924d8e46a073

Quote:
Get the rar file, unpack it in "plugins" of VDub.

Ok, there is a lot of filters. Some have name spoke for them.
The filters you may need are :
Median V2.0.0
Chroma Shifter V1.0.0

Ignore alls VHS filters, they are now totaly useles with filters like NV !!!

Median filter : You can chose the filter mode, i suggest you chose "Vertical". Filter size is the number of pixels used around the center wich the filter will use to do the median. Try 1 or 2, but normaly not more to reduce side effect.
Threshold is the min differance value betwen the pixel value and median value for the filter to be applied. Default value are for YCbCr mode, in RGB, default value are 20,20,20. Maybe try to filter only Y (if your video is in YCbCr mode), i dont know if VHS dropouts are only on Y channel or all. But, you can disable filter on some channels if you want.
Setting/Test mode : allow you to see where the filter will be applied, the pixels will be marked on high colors. Use it to adjust the size and the threshold level to have "only" the dropout filtered.
Interlace mode : Check it if you work on interlaced video.
Note : Median filter is slow, and speed decrease as filter size increase.

Chroma shift : Allow you to shift chroma as you want, often useful on VHS.

If it's not the case, i strongly suggest you to get the last version of VDub (1.8.6), and of course, to work with YCbCr video.
this maybe be what I'm looking for. thanks for attaching the download file here.
07-28-2017, 04:52 PM
Premium Member

Surprised you haven't found the core filter and dozen of posts by people who've gone through the considerable trouble of using it. "Median" is an Avisynth plugin.
http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Median

main discussion threads:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=170216
https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...n-for-Avisynth
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: friendly_jacek (07-28-2017)
07-28-2017, 09:09 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
Surprised you haven't found the core filter and dozen of posts by people who've gone through the considerable trouble of using it. "Median" is an Avisynth plugin.
http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Median

main discussion threads:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=170216
https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...n-for-Avisynth
this is cool, and I asked about it in another thread. In this thread, I'm talking about VD vertical median to remove dropouts on a single capture. the attached zip has it included and it works fairly well. I included frames here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post50404
07-28-2017, 10:38 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Ignore alls VHS filters, they are now totaly useles with filters like NV !!!
This is nonsense.
And this is why:
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendly_jacek View Post
the author here: ... neatvideo.com
It's just a person "marketing" (bluster, BS) that he's the bestest ever at what he does. I'm sorry, but he doesn't get to decide that. Actual video restorationists would laugh him out of the room.

No.

NeatVideo has minimal useful qualities, and is mostly newbie fodder. It's too strong, and tends to butcher video more than fix it.

Quote:
VD vertical median to remove dropouts on a single capture.
Better methods now exist using VirtualDub. Median is what I did pre-2013. That is discussed in another thread here, search for it. Or feel free to start a new thread with your examples.

07-29-2017, 10:35 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Better methods now exist using VirtualDub. Median is what I did pre-2013. That is discussed in another thread here, search for it. Or feel free to start a new thread with your examples.
OK, I searched and found this: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/6978-horizontal-dropout-pulses.html
Are you talking about something else?
07-29-2017, 10:45 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Are you talking about something else?
No, not what I had in mind.
That thread does have some interesting info, however.