11-27-2015, 04:42 AM
Free Member

Hello there

I was hoping you might be able to tell me if the Evolution G2 Multistandard Time Base Corrector, is the kind of TBC that improves vhs image quality or improves the signal quality for reducing dropped frames.

Thank you for your informative guides on tbcs and svhs vcrs
Peace

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-27-2015, 04:50 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Generally speaking, older rack-mounted TBCs like that were never designed for analog-to-digital conversion, but rather analog-to-analog editing.

The main problem is that "TBC" is a loosely defined term. There's TBCs, and then there's TBCs. Digital inputs need a frame synchronization, however most rack units were designed for genlock. Genlock and frame sync aren't the same. In Europe, the PAL CTB-100 TBCs are most often suggested and used, though there's been an issues with faulty chips in recent years. The DataVideo gear is also suggested, though harder to find in EU (even though it's PAL compatible).

I' hoping that some of our European members can add their input. Paging Goldwingfahrer.

That all said, I am aware of at least one VHS-to-DVD business using it. However, I've never seen their work.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
11-27-2015, 07:46 AM
Free Member

Thank you for your help lordsmurf and creating this thread.
I'm looking at a device to improve image quality, trying to find a tbc svhs VCR on eBay has not been fruitful.
11-28-2015, 03:00 AM
Remembered

There can not be the Snell & Wilcox NRS 50 / Kramer SP-11D also.
A G2 is here in the basement.
Are very good
Canopus NX Map + TBC Enhancer [Electronic Design] + of AVT8710
Capture in YUY2 or in UYVY or Huffyuv / Lagarith.
Filter with Avisynth.
Image + color control then with EDIUS and then output via the NX to a studio control monitor via HDMI or [Black Magic] on the plasma TV.
The theme "G2 MSTC" we had here before.

For example, Capture with Pana DMR EH65 ---> HDMI-out for Blackmagic Studio. 2
Capture program Virtual Dub 1.9.11

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3-Std.Capture.jpg (74.0 KB, 28 downloads)