Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-22-2016, 08:35 AM
Free Member

Hello guys

I'm looking for help because i'm not very good in scripting with Avisynth!
I have 70GB of raw captures of animation videos and i want to improve their quality because and to reduce their size!

i'm giving you a link to the sample and i'm asking you guys to take a look and suggest me how the script should look like.

LINK

Thanks
Alex
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-22-2016, 10:03 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
Hello, and welcome to digitalfaq.

Some problems here.....

Thanks for the sample link. Many readers won't venture to download from outside sites, especially those that display mandatory cookie permission dialogs, logins, ads, etc. You should post samples directly to this forum. Read here for posting images, videos, and other attachments: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/news...ly-upload.html.

The sample is very poor quality, but you already know that. It's also damaged through lossy encoding and several processing errors. The video is lossy encoded at least twice, resulting in more quality loss. It was encoded with the incorrect field order, then resized while still telecined, so the original telecined (interlaced) fields are permanently blended. The incorrect field order displays stutter, double images, and field combing on motion. Sorry to say, this damage can't be repaired in Avisynth or anything else.

You can't expect good quality from Boilsoft or lossy MJPEG encoding, neither of which were designed for edits or cleanup without further loss.

You didn't tell us how you captured the VHS. Why is the frame size 720x540 ? Many Avisynth filters require mod-8 frame dimensions. The height of 540 is not mod-8 (mod-8 = a number that can be evenly divided by 8 with no remainder). What do you want for your final product? 720x540 is not valid for DVD, BluRay or AVCHD. Audio in mp3 format sampled at 44.1Khz wouldn't be valid, either. I'm guessing that you want playback via PC or external media server only.

Sometimes incorrect processing can be fixed up (somewhat), but in this case many elements can't be fixed. Do you have your original capture?

Let us know how you captured, and try posting directly in this forum if you want further comments from other readers. With more information about your processing, you can get more help.
06-22-2016, 12:31 PM
Free Member

A friend sent me the captures. Most of the them are with 1.4Gb size! He said that he had used linux+mencoder to transfer them! I just used Boilsoft video splitter to cut the sample.

thats all i can say. No way to take the tapes and re-cap...

I want to reduce their size (and fixed whatever i can) for sure, so i'll appreciate any help

Attached Files
File Type: avi Aqua Ducks(00h04m31s-00h05m33s).avi (70.53 MB, 4 downloads)
06-23-2016, 02:43 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
Thanks again, but you left out some information. Akso, the sample posted is the same re-encoded video linked earlier. I'm afraid you won't get much response for a video that has gone through multiple lossy encodes.

If you have the original capture you should post a short sample of it, not reprocessed or lossy reencoded by another program. Readers have no way of advising about cleanup without a piece of the unaltered original. What codec was used for the original capture that you have? Was it resized before you received it?