Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-17-2018, 04:38 PM
Free Member

I have this issue with horizontal lines shaking.

Captured with Canopus 55, PAL. JVC HR-S 8700, STAB - ON. Panasonic DRM-ES15 passthrough.

Whithout ES15 - issue disappears. But dropping lots of frames.

It must be some interlacing related issue. When playing back in Adobe Premiere it looks fine. Also when exported as progressive movie. No shaking lines.

Could it have been fixed with avisynth I just installed today for first time?

Attached Files
File Type: avi shake.avi (21.52 MB, 31 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-15-2018, 05:30 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
That's vertical jitter -- aka laymen jitter, as opposed to technical jargon horizontal jitter that refers to something else entirely. The tape is unstable and/or not being tracked well by the VCR (often a transport and head issue).

Note: Do not clean the heads because I said "heads", that will do nothing here.

Adding a TBC(ish) device can sometimes have negative effects. However, since I hear audio buzzing, it's definitely a VCR stability issue. It's not tracking accurately. At best, you can manually track the tape better, at worst you may nede to manually realign the deck for that one tape (or worse yet, not be fixable at all, but not likely, as this is probably a mild issue).

Note: I never like to realign my main decks, only special ones meant for "breaking" (misaligning) for stubborn tapes.

No, Avisynth will not fix this.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs