12-10-2016, 03:43 AM
Free Member

Hello,

I am getting the attached smudging when using Avisynth QTGMC (same frame original and with script). See below for the script I am using:

Code:
ConvertToYV12(interlaced=true)
MergeChroma(aWarpSharp(depth=10), aWarpSharp(depth=20)) # better white balance than ColorYUV(autowhite), use with overlay line below
Overlay(last, ColorYUV(off_y=-8, off_u=9, off_v=-2), 0, 0, GreyScale(last).ColorYUV(cont_y=30)) # use with mergechroma line above
QTGMC(preset="Slow")
SelectEven()
It only shows up when there is movement. I have tried adding a number of other filters and tweaking the settings with no luck. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg newcapture2001844.jpg (69.3 KB, 22 downloads)
File Type: jpg newcapture2001845.jpg (51.2 KB, 18 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-10-2016, 05:58 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
Hello.

That's not smudging. It's temporal distortion. Filters were applied before deinterlacing, then you discarded half of the original temporal resolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumapuma View Post
It only shows up when there is movement.
Of course. You're performing an operation on interlaced fields that should be performed when fields are not combined. You also threw away 50% of the scanline data that defines edges during motion.

Quote:
I have tried adding a number of other filters and tweaking the settings with no luck. Am I missing something?
When did you add other filters? Before you deinterlaced, or after doing it? What filters did you add? Is this video interlaced, or is it telecined? Why are you throwing away half of your frames? You're missing 50% of your video, which can cause problems during fast motion.

Is your video top field first, or bottom field first? We can't advise accurately with only a single frame. We'd need a few seconds of original video with motion and without processing or filtering. But offhand your script has sequence errors.

To keep the original frame rate and temporal resolution::

Code:
AssumeTFF()
QTGMC()   ## <- preset is automatically "Slow" by default, which looks like overkill here.
MergeChroma(aWarpSharp(depth=10), aWarpSharp(depth=20)) # better white  balance than ColorYUV(autowhite), use with overlay line below
Overlay(last, ColorYUV(off_y=-8, off_u=9, off_v=-2), 0, 0,  GreyScale(last).ColorYUV(cont_y=30)) # use with mergechroma line above
SeparateFields().SelectEvery(4,0,3).Weave()
To double the original frame rate and maintain temporal resolution:
Code:
AssumeTFF()
QTGMC()   ## <- preset is automatically "Slow" by default, which looks like overkill here.
MergeChroma(aWarpSharp(depth=10), aWarpSharp(depth=20)) # better white  balance than ColorYUV(autowhite), use with overlay line below
Overlay(last, ColorYUV(off_y=-8, off_u=9, off_v=-2), 0, 0,  GreyScale(last).ColorYUV(cont_y=30)) # use with mergechroma line above
To keep the original frame rate but degrade temporal resolultion:
Code:
AssumeTFF()
QTGMC()      ## <- preset is automatically "Slow" by default, which looks like overkill here.
SelectEven() ## <- or use SelectOdd()
You're also blowing out brights by clipping white levels.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: lordsmurf (12-13-2016), pumapuma (12-10-2016)
12-10-2016, 02:00 PM
Free Member

This is great, thanks for your comment Sanlyn! Just getting the right name for what I was doing wrong is really helpful as I am quite new to this.

The source video is interlaced VHS. It is captured through: Mitsubishi HS-HD2000U D-VHS (w/TBC) -> AVT-8710 -> ATI AIW 9000 Pro -> VirtualDub (w/ levels tweaks) -> Huffyuv

Basically, what you're saying is that I need to move the QTGMC deinterlace further up the chain. Maybe incorrectly, I am dropping half the frames after QTGMC so that I keep at the original frame rate. I approached this by using Lordsmurf's processing guide, and uncommenting/tweaking what makes sense/look good. Slowly I am getting there.

I'll upload a short clip later this evening. Any help on this is much appreciated.
12-10-2016, 04:28 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the capture information. If you deinterlace in order to do some cleanup or filtering that requires progressive video, you keep your original frame rate by re-interlacing at the end of the process. Reinterlace is at the end of the first script posted above (repeated here):

Code:
AssumeTFF() 
I'm not sure what your script is trying to accomplish other than some color and denoising + chroma sharpening. If you want more detailed advice in that regard, use VirtualDub to make a short 7 or 8 seconds lossless edit, then save the sample with VDub using "direct stream copy" mode (Choice in the "Video" drop-down menu) to prevent colorspace conversion and to make the sample's properties unaltered from the original capture.

Last edited by sanlyn; 12-10-2016 at 05:12 PM.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: lordsmurf (12-13-2016)
12-10-2016, 08:36 PM
Free Member

Hello Sanyln,

Thanks for the info. I have uploaded a small sample that includes the movement that lead to my screen shots. Obviously this isn't the only movement, but it showed it well. The plan right now is to keep the original capture for backup and the 'processed version' would be progressive (as it will 100% always be viewed on progressive displays).

Thanks!

Attached Files
File Type: avi sample.avi (57.22 MB, 12 downloads)
12-10-2016, 09:46 PM
Premium Member

Thank you for the sample.

I can take a longer look at this later in the morning. But I can say immediately that the first script you posted is confusing because it ruins the color balance, which originally was too blue to begin with (photographed in overcast light). The script makes it worse, besides lowering luma too much. It adds red to correct blue. Red is not blue's opposite color, so forget that. The color that is blue's opposite is yellow, not red. Another problem is that red is already over saturated and is blooming (it is saturated to the point where it takes on an artificial glow). The luminance value is within proper range, but color stretches beyond RGB 255.

PC media players, set top players, external media players, and smart TV's deinterlace automatically, so it seems to me you're making work for yourself by deinterlacing when unnecessary. But they're your videos. Be careful about doing this with film-based sources, because those sources normally use pulldown, not interlace.

Most color casts are difficult to correct in YUV color, especially in this vase where adding yellow is difficult because yellow is a mix of green+red, and red is already too saturated. The other problem is that you need one kind of color correction in the midtones but a different correction in the brights. Another problem are the luma and chroma changes your camera caused during the shot, which look worse if using autocolor or autogain filters.

I'll see what suggestions I can derive overnight. I tend to rise early.

Last edited by sanlyn; 12-10-2016 at 10:04 PM.
12-10-2016, 11:13 PM
Free Member

Hi Sanlyn,

Quote:
PC media players, set top players, external media players, and smart TV's deinterlace automatically, so it seems to me you're making work for yourself by deinterlacing when unnecessary.
I totally agree, however I'm absolutely certain that 95%+ of the footage viewing will be over streaming (Google Photos, etc) which do not do deinterlacing. If it was just me watching it, then I wouldn't bother. The things that you do for family...

Quote:
But I can say immediately that the first script you posted is confusing because it ruins the color balance, which originally was too blue to begin with (photographed in overcast light). The script makes it worse, besides lowering luma too much. It adds red to correct blue. Red is not blue's opposite color, so forget that.
The intention was to paste in that bit to get a sort of easy white balance, then deinterlace. Clearly I was naive.

I really look forward to your suggestions. I have enjoyed all the forum threads where yourself or another forum member deconstruct the manipulations. Bit by bit I am learning this.

Thanks again!
12-11-2016, 04:34 PM
Premium Member

Sorry for the delay. Very busy houehold today.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
PC media players, set top players, external media players, and smart TV's deinterlace automatically, so it seems to me you're making work for yourself by deinterlacing when unnecessary.
I totally agree, however I'm absolutely certain that 95%+ of the footage viewing will be over streaming (Google Photos, etc) which do not do deinterlacing. If it was just me watching it, then I wouldn't bother. The things that you do for family...
Obviously some media require progressive only. Just be careful with deinterlacing and don't throw it at everything. Movie source, TV shows, animation, anything film based is seldom interlaced. More likely it uses some form of pulldown or telecine and will be damaged by deinterlacers.

I couldn't replicate the distortion problem you posted earlier. I even tried your posted script and got some minor broken edges and chroma ghosting, but nothing scary. Using QTGMC as well as yadif in my own script, posted below, gave me clean results. I think using QTGMC's "Slow" preset is over filtering and doesn't seem to be required, so I used the "faster" preset. There is a little chroma bleed (it will never look perfect in every frame. Welcome to the world of VHS!).

Biggest problem is a flood of bright cyan from shooting in bright overcast and from snow reflections, and some luma pumping and subtle color balance changes with changes in ambient light. It's tricky to color balance because the brighter snow is blue, the pine needles are a cyan-gray instead of green, and the shadows lack red. Targeting specific color ranges is tough in YUV, so I used Avisynth to do what I could as basic prep in YUV, then used VDub's ColorMill filter in RGB for tweaking lows, midtones, and brights separately. Autowhite won't work here, and auto-bright will just pump like crazy, but I don't see that the luma fluctuations are so bad that they're intolerable. The attached video samples might be a little bright, especially if later in the video someone walks into the sun -- but that would need special treatment anyway. Brightness can be controlled to a certain extent by the gamma value in the Levels() function, which here was set at 0.95.

Code:
AviSource("sample.avi")
ColorYUV(off_y=-5,off_u=-3,cont_u=-100)            #<- lower black level, calm blue
ColorYUV(cont_v=50,gain_v=15,off_v=-4)             #<- amplify and stretch red/green
Levels(16, 0.95, 255, 16, 245, dither=true, coring=false)

AssumeTFF()
QTGMC(preset="faster",sharpness=0.7,border=true)
FixChromaBleeding()
ChromaShift(C=2,L=2)
MergeChroma(aWarpSharp2(depth=30).aWarpSharp2(depth=20))
SmoothUV()
Crop(0,0,-12,-8).AddBorders(6,4,6,4)        #<- clean and even-up messy borders
That script is for a progressive version, attached as mp4. I also made a DVD-standard encoded version for more universal playback for pesky relatives. To configure output for DVD spec, add these last two lines to the bottom of the above script immediately following the Crop() statement:
Code:
Spline36Resize(704,480)   
You might not need the SmoothUV filter. I used it to smooth rainbows from skin tones. It's available here: http://avisynth.nl/index.php/SmoothUV. FixChromaBleeding is attached. It requires the ChromaShift dll, which is also attached.

The VirtualDub filter I used to tweak color was Color Mill v2.1, attached below if you don't have it. I' also attaching the VDub filter settings as a .vcf file. To load the .vcf settings you just have the ColorMill filter installed in your VDub plugins. Save the .vcf file to a location, load it in VirtualDub using "File..." -> "Load processing settings...", which will load the ColorMill filter at the settings I used for the attached videos.

Attached Files
File Type: zip FixChromaBleeding.zip (1.3 KB, 9 downloads)
File Type: zip ChromaShift27.zip (22.0 KB, 8 downloads)
File Type: zip ColorMill2.1.zip (68.4 KB, 76 downloads)
File Type: vcf sample_VDubCM2.vcf (866 Bytes, 4 downloads)
File Type: mp4 sample_QTGMC_CM2_59.94.mp4 (5.68 MB, 11 downloads)
File Type: mpg sample_QTGMC_CM2i_DVD.mpg (6.80 MB, 5 downloads)
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: lordsmurf (12-13-2016), pumapuma (12-12-2016)
12-12-2016, 12:32 AM
Free Member

Wow, that looks incredible. It's amazing what you can do when you understand all the nuances. Where do you get the skill to be able to do that?

Basically, to do this properly, the color balancing needs to be done scene by scene? Are there some easy corrections that can be applied across an entire tape/recording?

Attached is some VHS footage that I have been really struggling with. The green color problem is across the whole recording, so I figure that once it's reasonably dialed it wouldn't be much trouble to apply it across the other parts. Interested on your thoughts with this one.

Thanks again for all your help!

Attached Files
File Type: avi sample2.avi (75.02 MB, 6 downloads)
12-12-2016, 10:20 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
It's amazing what you can do when you understand all the nuances. Where do you get the skill to be able to do that?
If you refer to the color work, it wasn't especially difficult, but no one is born with those skills. It doesn't take long to get a knack for it once you get into it seriously. I picked up much of it from all the years I spent with Nikon cameras and still photo work, from tech forums, and from tons of free tutorials from Photoshop and other Adobe forums. The graphics principles for photos and video are very much alike. You start with basic color theory and learn to work with tools like histograms, such as these two free tutorials from Photoshop a site, that teach a lot about tonal range, contrast, saturation, and so forth:
Understanding histograms Part 1 and Part 2:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...istograms1.htm
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...istograms2.htm

Cleaning noise is fairly straightforward once you start using filters and getting to know their strengths and limitations. Color is more tricky and starts with observation. For example, next time it snows outside take a look at the color of snow. It's white, of course, but in your sample it has a cyan cast (blue/green) because of the lighting. Daylight isn't just more red than overcast, it's more yellow (red+green), so just adding red to a blue image doesn't make it more "white" it makes it more purple. The color of white in video has three Red-Blue-Green components: equal proportions of all three primary colors form white. Bright video white has the RGB values Red-235, Green-235, blue-235. Middle gray has equal RGB components, as middle gray is RGB 128-128-128. Dark gray is RGB 64-64-64, video black is RGB 16-16-16, pure black is RGB 0-0-0. When a photog or video tech talks about setting the white point they refer to adjusting colors so that whites look white, grays look gray ("setting the gray point"), and blacks look black ("setting the black balance"). The logic behind that is that if white looks white, the three colors are in balance and other hues fall into place.

This is much harder to do in YUV than in RGB, although there are some very sophisticated apps around that can do a lot in YUV color (Premiere Pro, FCP, AfterEffects, Davinci, Color Finesse, some TMPGenc encoders' image controls, etc.). RGB has filters that let you target specific color hues and ranges, which is next to impossible in YUV, but some good color filters are available in RGB even for VirtualDub. Remember that YUV is a storage medium not especially designed for intricate color correction, although basic levels and contrast should be set first in YUV with video.

I learned a lot from some old fashioned books, too (yeah, books. Remember?). Mt favorite to date was this best seller: https://www.amazon.com/Color-Correct...lor+correction .

Quote:
Basically, to do this properly, the color balancing needs to be done scene by scene? Are there some easy corrections that can be applied across an entire tape/recording?
Basically yes, sorry to say. That applies especially to video tape and double that for home videos. I've seen enough of my sister's home videos to make me cringe every time she sends me one for work. And those autogain and autowhite "features" in consumer cameras will drive you crazy. Her tapes have made me very familiar with a whole battery of Avisynth filters and procedures.

Quote:
Attached is some VHS footage that I have been really struggling with. The green color problem is across the whole recording, so I figure that once it's reasonably dialed it wouldn't be much trouble to apply it across the other parts. Interested on your thoughts with this one.
My thoughts are that it can't be repaired because of tape damage, likely from storage in hot conditions. The U and V channels are completely corrupt. I've seen cases where the U and V channels get switched somehow, resulting in voodoo color that's actually easy to correct in Avisynth. I've also worked with tape captured using the wrong color matrix (ever work with French SECAM tape recorded to DVD as PAL YV12? You'll cry over the crippled blue channel that turned the whole video yellow-green, fixed by inverting blue with a strong negative contrast setting and increasing Blue intensity later in RGB. But some of the Blue still looked strange after all that work and reds were a continual problem). But this discolored sample has both channels corrupted. The damage is magnetic layer degradation, not color translation.

It might be possible to work in YUV using adjustment layers and masking/blending operations in Premiere Pro or After Effects. The V channel has turned greenish cyan, but inverting it gives you a sepia print with a little blue in it from the U channel. Pinks come out blue to bluish white, sad to say, and grass is reddish.

I've seen classic film restorations with similar film stock damage. But most of the time the movies were converted to monochrome as the only practical form of rescue. The Avisynth function that does that is grayscale(). Sorry I don't have better news, but maybe other members can come up with a bright idea that eludes me. I'll keep it around and try getting to it with more time to spare.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: lordsmurf (12-13-2016), pumapuma (12-12-2016)
12-12-2016, 01:02 PM
Free Member

Hi Sanlyn,

Thanks again for your detailed response, extremely helpful. I ordered the book that you referenced as it is clear that I have a long way to go. I had already read through the links you provided, but it's something that I need to brush up on. This project will likely need to be extended from a single year to multi-year.

I'd really like to get a better idea of your process/workflow. For example, is it easier to grab a screenshot from a particular scene, import it into a photo editing app to get 'the just' of the edits, then try to replicate a similar approach in Avisynth? Personally I find editing in script slow (even w/ AvspMod and tricks to put frames side by side, etc). On a somewhat related note, does it make sense to buy any software to support this type of project/work, or is Avisynth & VirtualDub the best out there?

I noticed that you encoded the samples as mp4 (which is what I want to encode them as in the end). Did you use VDub to do this or something else? I am currently looking at using an avsproxy to Avidemux for this.

For the second corrupted sample that I uploaded, unfortunately this is a very important video (parents wedding) and is the only copy in existence. So despite that it is 'unrepairable', I definitely need to do the best that I can on it, even if it's not perfect.

Thanks again for all your help.
12-12-2016, 04:42 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
This project will likely need to be extended from a single year to multi-year.
Heavens, let's hope not. If you mean work on a single tape, a home video takes a couple of weeks after you get used to things. True, you conjure up filters for a certain shot, then another, but usually there are several shots that can use the same filters. If those shots aren't together in the same sequence, I save them as separate work files and join them later where I want them in the final video. I come up with the craziest naming and numbering conventions to do this, but a name like "clip 1" is useless. A sequence like A02_m04, A03_M04, A04a_M04 mean that the clips are taken in sequence from a master capture (M04 identifies the source master, A04a is a second version that I decided gave better results than the first attempt, and so forth).

Don't think you're the only hobbyist who does this. Once I have a final encode, almost all the intermediate work files are discarded but I keep the .avs scripts and other notes in text files. The masters, if I keep them (I don't always) are on 500GB external USB drives.

Quote:
I'd really like to get a better idea of your process/workflow. For example, is it easier to grab a screenshot from a particular scene, import it into a photo editing app to get 'the just' of the edits, then try to replicate a similar approach in Avisynth? Personally I find editing in script slow (even w/ AvspMod and tricks to put frames side by side, etc).
I can't stand AvsPmod, I know it's popular, so don't go by my opinion. I run scripts in VirtualDub, with another window open with the script at the same time. If I change the script, I click F2 in VDub and the screen repaints to the frame I was viewing. When I'm checking levels and other color issues I have a ColorTools VDub histogram in VDub's output window at the same time. Most of the time I'm checking noise and the results of any VDub filters I'm running on the output from the script.

For a slow script with heavy filterting this F2 business can be tiresome, so I comment-out the heavy filters to make things go faster. Hitting F2 several dozen times can slow VDub down, so I just close it and restart.

I dont do much timeline work. TMPGewnc Mastering Works has a timeline feature but it's a little clunky, so my timeline editor -- when I use one, which is rare -- is lossless video in After Effects. Really tough color work that requires something like masking is done with AE as well. I suppose if I did a slew of timeline videos I'd get a cheapie like Premiere Elements after I've done all the color correction and denoising in AVisynth and VirtualDub. I don't care for AE's encoder.

The general workflow is levels and color correction, then denoising, then joining clips, then encoding and authoring. TMPGenc Mastering Works is good for joining, just plug in the clips in sequence, then encode. TMPGEnc lets you tweak color on each clip separately if needed. This gets complicated, because I have old movies off tape that are inverse telecined for restoration. These are encoded with 3:2 pulldown in TMPGenc, but often I'll encode separately with the old TMPGenc Plus or the free HCenc encoder, then join them in TMPGEnc Smart Renderer, which configures the audio for Dolby Digital but doesn't re-encode the video track.

Often I check for color problems by making a screen capture and studying the problems with Photoshop Pro (a 1998 version, which tells you how long I keep software!). If I use PP's curves filter, its settings can be saved and imported by Vub's Gradation Curves plugin, but I usially end up tweaking again in VDub regardless.

I work with an LG IPS LED monitor calibrated with X-Rite software and an EyeOne colorimeter. I repeat the calibration about every two months or so.

Quote:
does it make sense to buy any software to support this type of project/work, or is Avisynth & VirtualDub the best out there?
NLE editors aren't designed for restoration, nor are they good at it. Most people take a corrected lossless batch of clips and join them in an NLE.

Quote:
I noticed that you encoded the samples as mp4 (which is what I want to encode them as in the end). Did you use VDub to do this or something else? I am currently looking at using an avsproxy to Avidemux for this.
Many posted samples use mp4/h264 to save forum space. For final output I'm an old holdout. Everything goes to DVD(MPEG2). I've made standard definition BluRay from some SD tapes but encoded most of them as high bitrate MPEG2, which doesn't have the filtered look you often get with h.264. When I do use h.264 it's with TMPGenc Mastering Works, but sometimes if I have the patience I use TX264 (sometimes glitchy, I don;t know why) for h.264 encodes. Others use big guys like Premiere Pro for encoding. Occasionally I've used the x264 command-line encoder, but it's a hassle if you make a typo, and who can remember all those strings for manual custom settings?

Yes, wedding tapes are priceless. Sorry I wasn't much help. I'll keep pulling that sample up and looking for ideas. I was curious about what happened to that tape. Tapes can fade somewhat and get noisy with age, but the damage I saw isn't from normal aging. If you look at a YUV histogram you'll see that blue and red are crippled, yellow and green take over everywhere. I worked on a wedding tape from the UK that turned blue, and some other disasters, but this one is baffling.

The image below is frame 16 of the sample, with a YUV histogram, showing crippled blue and red.

If you combine only the Y and U (blue-yellow) channel, you see no blue but you see how green shows up as blotchy and uneven:

If you take the U channel. treat it as the Y (red) channel and invert it, you should get opposite color (red/green). but here you only get red and grays, even if it isn't splotchy:

I spent some time playing around with these changes and switches, but you still get splotchy green. If you try to switch and combine the channels, you'll get red splotch where you had green splotch. So, both channels are a mess.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg frame 16 Original with YUV.jpg (69.5 KB, 92 downloads)
File Type: jpg U channel with no blue.jpg (58.8 KB, 91 downloads)
File Type: jpg U channel inverted.jpg (58.0 KB, 92 downloads)
12-13-2016, 10:43 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Already a long thread!

To address the original question, just to confirm sanlyn, it was indeed temporal errors in processing.

@sanlyn:

I still use MainConcept Reference for both H.264 and MPEG encoding, though I sometimes use Avidemux for x264, or even Hybrid for x265 to x264 conversion. I only use Premiere (Adobe Media Encoder, actually) when using that NLE, and much of their encoding is based off MainConcept SDK encoding.

I use AvsPmod all the time.

Sometimes color casts are not a lost cause. This was a project that I had done just prior to my medical issues in 2012:
https://www.facebook.com/digitalFAQ/...type=3&theater

@puma:

No, Photoshopping a video still doesn't help much, or at all. You need to correct video in a video editor. Color is best done in an NLE, like Adobe Premiere, but Avisynth or VirtualDub (example: ColorMill) can work well. Aside from color, sanlyn was right about an NLE: restoration isn't what they were designed for.

Like sanlyn, my image background is stills, and Nikon, though I started (I believe) about a decade earlier than he did.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs