digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Restore, Filter, Improve Quality (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/)
-   -   Any experience with Kramer scaler/switchers? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/7864-experience-kramer-scaler.html)

schembechler 03-15-2017 11:55 AM

Any experience with Kramer scaler/switchers?

Title asks the question. I have a Kramer VP-719xl currently being used as a projection input switcher. It's about to be replaced with a newer model that accepts more HDMI inputs. Upon googling, I've found out it has a built in proc-amp and tbc. Considering the reputation of the Kramer brand, I was wondering if this might be a viable option to add to my capture chain?

msgohan 03-20-2017 12:01 AM

No model number for the one you're considering?

schembechler 03-20-2017 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msgohan (Post 48376)
No model number for the one you're considering?

To clarify, the unit model number I stated, VP-719xl, would be the one I'm considering. I work in a house of worship with many multimedia projection stations. This unit is about to be decommissioned. Looking to extend its life by using it for my personal projects.

msgohan 03-20-2017 02:45 PM

Ohhhhhh.

Well, it's worth trying, right?

Quote:

The output signal provides constant sync so the display never glitches.
Built-in Time Base Corrector - Stabilizes video sources with unstable sync.
Built-in ProcAmp - Color, hue, sharpness, contrast, and brightness are set individually for each input.
My only experience testing a scaler is the Vidikron DVS3500 (rebadged Faroudja DVP3000) which is 10 years older than your Kramer. I think it received rave reviews in its day for its deinterlacing and scaling, but I found it to be pretty crummy for use as a proc amp + TBC. Just because something outputs constant sync doesn't mean it will do a good job decoding unstable sync from the source. It internally dropped lots of frames from the start of a tape that other devices were able to display just fine. And in turns of proc amp, its luma dynamic range was too small, so super-brights got clipped.

schembechler 03-23-2017 11:24 AM

Thanks for your input, msgohan. I am aware that a stand alone tbc or proc amp would, in most cases, perform much more efficiently. In my case, this unit was designed for commercial input switching and scaling. My assumption was the internal tbc and proc amp would be minor in effect. Just enough to handle mostly already stable signals. You're right, all I can do is try!

lordsmurf 05-07-2017 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msgohan (Post 48404)
Just because something outputs constant sync doesn't mean it will do a good job decoding unstable sync from the source.

This is especially the issue with consumer analog formats: VHS, VHS-C, Video8, Hi8, Betamax
Or even semi-pro/prosumer formats: S-VHS, S-VHS-ET, S-VHS-C

The ability to output stable sync doesn't mean it will fix bad input.

This is why broadcast-grade TBC is often useless for VHS/etc sources. Wrong tool for the task. :rats:

msgohan 05-07-2017 10:55 AM

I typed "contact sync"? I meant "constant".

lordsmurf 05-07-2017 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msgohan (Post 49248)
I typed "contact sync"? I meant "constant".

Looks like constant to me. :wink2::P