04-18-2017, 04:15 AM
Free Member

Not seen this one mentioned, so thought I would write a few words.

PAL broadcast deck with SP only - so no good for LP or EP - won't play at all. However for SP it works superb.

Main features are:

Full frame TBC with video level and chroma level adjustment - EVEN IN LOOP-THROUGH!
Separate TBC and DNR - DNR has two separate stage luma and chroma NR settings
HiFi stereo and linear stereo (with switchable Dolby NR)
Direct drive reel motors for perfect tape transport/tension. Its a rock solid transport with capstan three times the width of a normal one.
Edit mode for 'raw' tape output
Adjustable head switch point blanking - so captures made with switching point not visible.

On SP tapes it plays as good as I have seen - no sharpening halos. On ancient and flaky home recordings the TBC and DNR work wonders. The full frame TBC imparts a picture stability that makes the image look like a moving photo - so removing all jitter. TBC also strips Macrovision.

So a really good VCR for SP restoration work.

I picked mine up on eBay for £27 with only 130 hours on the drum and 90 capstan hours - the inside was still like new. But and here is the 'big but' - it has plug in cards, five of which have SMD capacitors. I had to replace them all (around 150 in total). Took about 10 hours. So make sure that if bidding on one that it works - if they say untested then take it as not working and you will need to do the SMD capacitors.

Here is one PCB with capacitors I replaced: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k26qjwa5o6...31529.jpg?dl=0
And the complete internals: https://www.dropbox.com/s/scv4psitfi...25643.jpg?dl=0

Just thought I would share as the loopthrough TBC is of very high quality - and has DNR too. I'm very impressed.
The following users thank Quasipal for this useful post: frankzaatar (08-27-2017), lordsmurf (05-25-2017), msgohan (04-18-2017)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-09-2017, 07:12 AM
Free Member

Hi, I'm thinking to substitute all the SMD capacitors of my AG-8700. It is still in mint (well "mint") condition and the drums have only 600 hours. Last time I used it was about 4 years ago, and that was when I watched problems on the image due to TBC. Do you think is better to use AG-8700 as a TBC only instead of a DataVideo TBC? As you know, the pro videos are not the best to play consumer tapes, so, I'm thinking to test my JVC HM-DR1000 or JVC HR-S9700 connected to AG-9700 (as a loop-through TBC) or the JVC videos connected to a DataVideo TBC. My past conversion was done using the JVC videos and the Canopus ADVC-300 - loved by some, hated by others! Best wishes from Lisbon, Paulo Pereira
05-10-2017, 01:31 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulopereira View Post
Hi, I'm thinking to substitute all the SMD capacitors of my AG-8700. It is still in mint (well "mint") condition and the drums have only 600 hours. Last time I used it was about 4 years ago, and that was when I watched problems on the image due to TBC. Do you think is better to use AG-8700 as a TBC only instead of a DataVideo TBC? As you know, the pro videos are not the best to play consumer tapes, so, I'm thinking to test my JVC HM-DR1000 or JVC HR-S9700 connected to AG-9700 (as a loop-through TBC) or the JVC videos connected to a DataVideo TBC. My past conversion was done using the JVC videos and the Canopus ADVC-300 - loved by some, hated by others! Best wishes from Lisbon, Paulo Pereira
Well it is certainly worth fixing and the TBC us very good. I don't have a Datavideo to compare though. But AG8700 plays SP commercial and home recorded tapes just fine, just not LP.
05-14-2017, 10:35 AM
Free Member

Hi, Since I don't have any technical skills in electronics I'm thinking to buy the capacitors to be replaced by a video technician. I'll give to the technician the advice you placed on another post due to this cards seems not to be intended to be serviced. Please, let me know if I should replace ALL the capacitors. They are cheap to buy but expensive to replace since they require too much time. Please, let me know if any cheap capacitator is adequate or if you suggest some reliable supplier. I asked the Panasonic Pro Service in Portugal to replace my AG-8700 but they do no accept this video anymore.

According to what happened to your device, please, let me which cards should have the capacitors replaced:
AUDIO 1
AUDIO 2
VIDEO I/O
VIDEO YC
INTERFACE
TBC 1
TBC 2

You wrote: "Full frame TBC with video level and chroma level adjustment - EVEN IN LOOP-THROUGH!" Since the DNR is dependent from the TBC - it only works when TBC is on - the DNR could be used also in loop-through. Sometimes the DNR seems to reduce the resolution, so, only with bad tapes, I turn it on.

I've also JVC HM-DR10000 (D-VHS/S-VHS) and JVC HR-S9700 (S-VHS), and any of these videos have a much better performance than Panasonic AG-8700 using principally home video tapes... but he AG-8700 TBC is better than in the JVC videos, so, I wish to transfer using JVC internal TBC and AG-8700 TBC.

Best wishes, and thanks in advance.
05-17-2017, 03:50 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulopereira View Post
AUDIO 1 - No, capacitors don't need replacing
AUDIO 2 - No, capacitors don't need replacing
VIDEO I/O - Yes, replace all capacitors
VIDEO YC - Yes, replace all capacitors
INTERFACE - No, capacitors don't need replacing
TBC 1 - Yes, replace all capacitors
TBC 2 - Yes, replace all capacitors
Hi, I have commented next to your list.
The following users thank Quasipal for this useful post: lordsmurf (05-25-2017)
05-25-2017, 05:08 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasipal View Post
Full frame TBC with video level and chroma level adjustment - EVEN IN LOOP-THROUGH!
Separate TBC and DNR - DNR has two separate stage luma and chroma NR settings
Did I read that right? It has pass-through?
How does it compare to Panasonic DMR-ES10 recorder?
Is this also full-field (not line) like the AG-1980P?

Interesting.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
05-25-2017, 06:27 AM
Free Member

I already wrote about this. YES, IT HAS PASS-THROUGH.

Panasonic AG-8700 TBC:
a) 3-Dimensional Digital TBC - reduces the amount of jitter and distortion (skew) - you could switch between 2D (corrects a dropout by using the previous line) or 3D (uses the same portion of the previous field - more natural correction can be made)
b) Digital Noise Reduction (only works when TBC is on) - the degree of S/N ratio can be controlled
c) Digital Logical Comb Filter
d) Switching Noise Masking

On TBC settings you could control:
a) Video level
b) Black level
c) Chroma level
d) Chroma phase
e) YC delay
f) System H phase
g) System SC phase fine
h) System SC phase coarse

The manual requires that the TBC must be readjusted every time its connecting cable is replaced or its connections are changed.
05-25-2017, 05:56 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Did I read that right? It has pass-through?
How does it compare to Panasonic DMR-ES10 recorder?
Is this also full-field (not line) like the AG-1980P?

Interesting.
I'm my opinion it does better than Panasonic DMR-ES10 recorder simply because it is full frame TBC and also the DNR is separate from TBC - so you can have pure TBC and DNR of your choice later on. I'm really glad to have the 8700 in my kit. Of course not perfect for everything - but what is?

If you look at the TBC boards they are very comprehensive - built to a very high standard. BUT 8700 has SMD capacitors - and they will need replacing. I don't advise this machine for eBay buyers expecting it to work without repair though sadly.
05-31-2017, 05:13 PM
Free Member

I don't have much digital recording equipment but here is a sample from this deck.

Clips of:

1991 Pre recorded
1983 Pre recorded
1985 Home recorded
1988 Pre recorded (well played cartoon)
1991 Pre recorded

Personally I think the AG8700 is a great deck and plays with excellent quality.

Here is a drop box link - clip is around 5 minutes long https://www.dropbox.com/s/9nxyt2jh3mtz9ow/t.mp4?dl=0
The following users thank Quasipal for this useful post: qiaodangames (04-16-2023)