Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-20-2017, 06:21 AM
Free Member

I used to Use MeGUI 2624. Now I have upgraded to MeGUI 2774. I use MeGUI for running a Avisynth script (QTGMC) on the captured VHS files to deinterlace and make MP4 files. The problem is that my VHS captures ( PAL 720x576) in the new version now comes out with false aspect ratio 5:4 (square pixels) instead of 4:3 (anamorph pixels), meaning the picture is too narrow.

In my earlier MeGUI version (2624) there was a checkbox in the One Click profile called "Anamorph Output" When this was checked the video output was correctly as 4:3

In the new MeGUI version (2774) this checkbox is gone and there is a new drop down menu "Force Input DAR". I have tried the "autodetect" and the "ITU 4:3 PAL" setting for this, but both came out with 5:4 aspect ratio.
What does this option mean?

Her is the changelog for the new version
https://www.videohelp.com/software/MeGUI
Changelog 2715 --> 2774
[OneClick]
removed the "Anamorph Output" option from the OneClick profile. Please use the anamorphic encoding options in the AviSynth profile instead.
added aspect ratio selection to the OneClick profile

What does this mean, how exactly should I "use the anamorphic encoding options in the AviSynth profile"?

If I choose "Avisynth profile, config, extra setup", there is a drop down menu "Clever anamorphic recording". However I do not understand the options, should I use this, and should I change my script with some command.

Here is my Avisynth VHS script
<input>
AssumeTFF()
ConvertToYV12(interlaced=true)
QTGMC( Preset="Faster")
SelectEven() # Add this line to keep original frame rate, leave it out for smoother doubled frame rate
# Levels(16, 1, 235, 0, 255, coring=false)
Crop(12,4,-12,-12) # left, top, right, bottom
AddBorders(12,8,12,8) # left, top, right, bottom
# LimitedSharpenFaster()
# Spline16Resize(960,720)

I simply just want input DAR ( Display Aspect Ratio ) the same as the output DAR. Some movies (some minidv and they have another script) are 16:9, the best would be if the output DAR was the same as Input DAR like in the version 2624.
What settings should I use to get anamorph output?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-04-2017, 07:05 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
You probably need to submit a bug report. Perhaps it being missing is an accident?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-05-2017, 02:24 PM
Free Member

I think it is not a bug because it is described in the Changelog
[OneClick]
removed the "Anamorph Output" option from the OneClick profile. Please use the anamorphic encoding options in the AviSynth profile instead.
added aspect ratio selection to the OneClick profile

https://www.videohelp.com/software/M...istory?layouta

Anamorphic output
For capturing PAL "DVD-resolution" you need anamophic output, if not PAL 720x576 movie will be 5:4 istedet for 4:3
The way to do this has changed in the new MeGUI 2774 and got more complicated.

I tried to figure out what "Please use the anamorphic encoding options in the AviSynth profile instead" means and here is what I do, I do not know if it is the right way but it seems to give the same output as before.

MeGui Ver. 2624 (and other older versions)
Choose “One Click”, “config”
Mark “Anamorphic”

Megui Ver. 2774
Choose “One Click”, “config”
Force input DAR = ”Auto detect later” ( I dont know if this is important )
Choose Avisynth Profile Config, tab "Extra setup"
Remove all marks
Mark "Clever (TM) anamorphic recording"
Choose "encode non-mod 16" ( Cropping is done in the Avisynth script )
Do not mark "upsizing allowed"

Here is a discussion of Resize vs Clever (TM) anamorphic encoding in MeGUI
https://forum.doom9.org/archive/index.php/t-160759.html
12-06-2017, 02:31 AM
Site Staff | Video

I've not used MeGUI is quite a few years now, long ago switching to Avidemux for better control (if if slightly more unstable), but I've since also dumped Avidemux for Hybrid. Now that app gives lots of controls over the encode, probably the closest you can get to command line use of x264.

I'd hit up the author for info on how to implement what you want now that he's moved or removed the option.

Or just switch to another app. I'd say at least give another app a test.

I've always considered MeGUI a step above Handbrake, which is also too templatey for my tests. I want to tweak encodes.

01-03-2018, 11:44 AM
Free Member

The Method I described above using "Clever (TM) anamorphic recording" in Megui 2774 works.
The MP4 files i get is displayed anamorphic in 4:3 when played on a Windows PC with VLC Player.

However when I play them on my smart tv ( a 5 yerars old LG) the MP4 files are 5:4 while the original MPG files are 4:3 PAL 720x576). It means the Smart tv does not display the MP4 files ananorphic, but it still displays the MPG files anamorphic

Is this a common "problem by Smart TVs, that MP4 is not displayed anamorphic, or have I missed a setting in MeGUI? Or should I use a resize option to get MP4 files with square pixels like eg. Spline16Resize(960,720) to avoid problems like this?
02-04-2018, 12:48 AM
Site Staff | Video

Yes, "smart" TVs having problems with files, whether downloaded or created, is a common complaint.

So is it fair to say smart TVs are dumb?

However, realize that too many devices ignore aspect flags in MP4/MKV files, aka H.264 encodes in most situations. It's BS that it happens. But the issue also extends to interlace H.264, which is also poorly supported. Hence why nobody suggests interlaced 264, except for specific uses (Blu-ray discs, broadcasting, etc). Nothing that even the correct situations rarely come along.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: jnielsen (02-04-2018)

Tags
2774, anamorph, dar, megui, square pixels