digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Restore, Filter, Improve Quality (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/)
-   -   VHS challenge! I bet this can't look good! (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/8470-vhs-challenge-bet.html)

Padawan 02-12-2018 12:07 AM

VHS challenge! I bet this can't look good!

1 Attachment(s)
This is more a challenge than a request :)

Video was taken 30 years ago? by a skydiving instructor with a VHS camera attached to his head.

Was copied to DVD maybe 10 years ago. VHS tape no longer exists.

This is just a snippet of a 10 minute video. My friend is willing to pay if it can be made watchable.

Can anything be done?

Regards,
Paul

lordsmurf 02-12-2018 12:40 AM

Pretty nasty stuff there. :mad4:

The tracking errors should be pretty easy to remove compared to rest.

You have unstable timing, harsh shaking of frame vertically. Those may have to be manually adjusted, as I don't think anything is smart enough to fix that without screwing up motion of other frames.

The white flashing my be some sort of median with a deflicker, maybe manually replace some frames in a script.

Separating the fields probably required.

Final product probably just deinteraced.

Padawan 02-13-2018 07:56 AM

Slight Improvement.

1 Attachment(s)
Another friend of mine who admits he is a hack played with this last night and shows his before and after in the attached .avi file.

He says it is the best he can do without things getting too blurry.

Not sure what programs he used.

Lord Smurf is this something you could do? For a fee of course. Or is it not worth it?

Regards,
Paul

lordsmurf 02-13-2018 08:54 AM

That clip would be far easier to work with. Give that one to me.

Padawan 02-13-2018 05:57 PM

The best bit

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Lord Smurf,

My friend took some of the better bits and sat down with some red wine listening to some Johnny Cash. Like I said he just enjoys playing around with videos (and photos etc). He gave me a bit of a description of what he did:

Quote:

A bit of pre-processing in AVS Editor then XMediaRecode with box blur, crop, de-interlace, and de-noise filters. Took about 25 minutes to process a 7 minute clip.

Adobe was going to take 2-3 hours for pretty much the same result... O.o

Way too many flicky bits to cut them all out so I gave up and just cut some junk off the beginning and end.

lordsmurf 02-13-2018 11:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If removal of tracking noise is all that's needed, this isn't a challenge. :P

While yet more noise could be removed from it, you start to enter temporal artifacts, or static blur.
I also adjusted chroma while in there (aka color bleeding).

All your friend did was blur it. :wink2:

On the first sample in this thread, the severe timing distortions (ie lack of line TBC, framesync TBC, or both) are not easy to remove. Not just not easy, but next to impossible. As I mentioned in my first reply, that would require manual frame-by-frame corrections, and there would still be a lot of leftover issues to deal with. You'd want to hand correct before the video filtering.