Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-04-2011, 09:23 AM
Premium Member

I received a circa 1984 VHS tape with severe horizontal jitter issues. For the most part, the DigiPure line TBC in my JVC VCR corrected most of the problems. Unfortunately it seems that some of the errors overwhelms the line TBC and lets some jitter through. Are there any alternative pieces of equipment to correct serious horizontal jitter? Software like the DeJitter Avisynth filter and the VHS Sync restore plug-in in VirtualDub aren't cutting it. I have read that using a Panasonic DMR-ES10 DVD recorder as a pass through corrects jitter errors the JVC can't. Also, would such a tape be better played in a Panasonic AG-1980 with its field TBC?

I will post example screen shots later.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-04-2011, 09:32 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Just to clarify...
  • Horizontal jitter is what cases "tearing" of the image. This is video "jitter" by definition (video jargon).
  • Vertical jitter is bouncing of the image, like an up-and-down vibration. This use of "jitter" is a layman's term usage.
So you're seeking hardware that removes/reduces tearing artifacts?

Please confirm.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
02-04-2011, 09:59 AM
Premium Member

This is horizontal jitter as in misplaced scan lines, not up and down vibration. Errors similar to whats shown in this thread: http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/3...mprove-old-VHS

-- merged --

The JVC TBC clears most of it up quite well, turning it on and off is like night and day. I'm just seeing if I can improve quality further.

Ok here is a sample frame. This is with DigiPure turned on and running through my AVT-8710. Without DigiPure, the entire frame would appear as a jittery mess. The JVC does 90% of the job, I'm just looking to see if there is any other tools out there to correct the rest of the time-base errors. I know the owner of the tape will be thrilled with how this came out as-is, but I'm picky and I'm sure I will encounter more tapes in this shape in the future.

FWIW, this tape appears to have been used once before recording the home movies. All the footage was shot with a Trinicon tube camera. I thought my one Betamax home movie tape was bad, this one takes the cake. I don't know how folks think they can capture wobbly tapes like this without a TBC and not expect frame loss.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jitter Sample.jpg (35.0 KB, 159 downloads)
02-04-2011, 05:13 PM
Free Member

That is exactly the type of error that the Panasonic ES-10 does wonders with. In most cases in my experience, 95 - 99% correction.

The more time that goes by and the more tapes I have worked with, I've come to realize that the ES10 is one of the most indispensable tools in my whole collection.
02-04-2011, 05:34 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjv1 View Post
That is exactly the type of error that the Panasonic ES-10 does wonders with. In most cases in my experience, 95 - 99% correction.

The more time that goes by and the more tapes I have worked with, I've come to realize that the ES10 is one of the most indispensable tools in my whole collection.
So this equipment chain should work in theory.

Code:
JVC HR-S7800U-->DMR-ES10-->AVT-8710-->PC Capture Card
Also are there any other Panasonic DVD recorder models out there that have the same filtering as the DMR-ES10?
02-04-2011, 05:52 PM
Free Member

Yup that chain should work fine. Keep in mind though, it will generally work better if you have the TBC off on the 7800U in tandem with the Panasonic ES10.

I believe there are a couple of models with it, but I don't remember off hand. I THINK the ES-20 may have it, but that might also be the first model that didn't. IIRC in some models, it is only utilized when feeding the signal through the rear video ports and not the front (or vice versa). You might do some poking around on VideoHelp or wait for LS to reply.
02-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Premium Member

Just an update. I think this tape is definitely a copy, which means some of the time-base errors are likely baked into the tape. It doesn't sound like I will be getting the original footage, so I guess this will have to do.
02-06-2011, 10:13 PM
Free Member

This is just the kind of problem I've been thinking about lately. I think that could be fixed. I got a new idea just from looking at the picture. Do you have a small clip I can try?
There's certainly a use to software based TBC.
02-12-2018, 06:33 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Old thread, current topic.

JVC TBCs are easily overpowered by this exact issue. What I used to refer to as "water puddle rippling" of a picture.

The fix is to use either Panasonic AG-1980P S-VHS VCR, or the DRM-ES10/15 recorders on passthrough.

This was an unanswered question or unresolved issue found during a site audit. It's hard to have an FAQ when the answers are missing, or final outcomes are unknown. At The Digital FAQ support forum, questions are never intentionally ignored, and may have been missed due to a forum glitch or human error. More details on the audit. (In some cases, threads have been edited/updated with newer information.)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs